Democracy breaks out on message board webmaster demands recount

• Thread starter Encyclopedia Titanica
  • Start date
Tracy Smith

Tracy Smith

With all due respect, I don't think it is possible to write a "definitive" paper on the Californian. A well researched piece with likely conjectures, yes, but still most definitely an opinion piece.

Still, all in all, I would like to read it.

J

Jonathon Jedd

Oh no! I was just joking, Tracy! (Sorry.) This was right on the heels of Phil's having said things had been lost in the re-indexing. I'd thought of claiming to have published "the secret of life", but it wasn't subtle enough. ;-)

Apologies,
JJ

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
OK, the Peer Review section is open for business. Everything about it is experimental and up for negotiation. At the moment here's what I have done.

As you know messages on the board are readable by anyone who accesses the site. This is so casual browsers can still benefit from our infinite wisdom even if they choose not to join.
Happy

If you want to post to the board you have to join. When you join you are automatically added to a group called "Titanic Research".

I have now added a new group called "Peer Review Group"

Members of the main group "Titanic Research" can be added to this new group but this is at the discretion of the moderator/administrator.

I have also created a topic called "Work in Progress" you have probably seen it tucked at the end of the topic list (with a big padlock on it!)

The topic can only be read or posted to by members of "Peer Review" - i.e. no one at present!

As I understand it from Dave's original post, a member would post a piece of research that they are still working on so other members can give constructive feedback on it. We'll have to wait and see if anyone goes for this!

The topic is not moderated (i.e. messages don't require approval) at present but this could be changed. However I don't have time to moderate it myself. If person or persons wish to volunteer to be a moderator I am happy to consider them. Maybe we should have an election!

Someone suggested we list our areas of expertese maybe this is a good idea though as Inger states above it is not necessarily a recipe for impartiality.

As I said before this whole concept is up for grabs so I leave it's development up to you.

Phil

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

Phil, I don't know how much use I can be. My main interest is technically oriented, which was why I got Anatomy of the Titanic and then the much better Birth Of The Titanic. In my resource library, I have the transcripts of both inquiries, a copy of Ritchie's Shipwrecks, Mark Warren's Shipbuilder 1906-1914 Volumns I and II, and my most recent addition, the 18th edition of Knight's Modern Seamanship so I can bring my level of knowladge up to that of some of the past and present officers on this board.

I also have 20 years of hard experience at sea and in shipyards which includes new construction, fitting out, and overhauls(refits)

I also have all of the books I reccommended to Erik Wood in his intro thread last week as well as the new additions (survivors accounts of Lightoller, Gracie, Bride and Jack Theyer) which I mentioned in the Titanic Prezzies thread. I don't know how much of value I can be in the peer reveiw section, but if I'm needed or wanted, just let me know. I'll be happy to help out any way I can.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

B

Beverly J. Crowder

Well Ya'll,
I am just a layman history enthusiast, preferably ship wrecks, the Gilded Age and such. I am by no means an expert, but enjoy coming to this board and being a part of it for my own personal use.
I think I will bow out of a "peer" discussion, and just enjoy the rest of the research and information.

To Phil, Great job with the whole shabang Hun! Love this site!

Bless Ya'll
BTW: How is everyone's 1st week back to work after the Holidaze???

Beverly

Inger Sheil

Inger Sheil

Hallo there, Phil -

This should prove interesting :) Am looking forward to seeing how the idea evolves. Should you need anyone to add their tuppence worth on pre-Raphaelite Titanic connections to Yorkshire deck officers I will of course make myself available ;-)

Beverly, the first day back was indeed a daze of jetlag. I should just about be back to normal by the 12th: the afternoon I fly out from Heathrow to Oz :)

Inger

Maureen Zottoli

Maureen Zottoli

Inger, Oh to be 26 again! I would have died first and then something bad would have happened if I had your schedule Inger!

Phil, I am not any kind of expert from a nautical or human perspective, but I would be happy to provide some sort of technical writing proofreading if required. (like things not adding up or logical flow). I also believe that I would be a good referee just to be sure the rules are followed and everything is handled fairly...Lord knows it would free up posting on your board and keep me down to 5000 posts for this year...
Happy

But I think that whoever the referee is that they may not offer input to the posting except to monitor and "urge" sticking to the guidelines of the area. Just a thought. They would have to be totally neutral on an issue... Pat Cook would also make great monitor. But there will be issues that I could not monitor, but may act as an editor say.

Mike S would make a great monitor as well, but he is too valueable as a technical person.

Just some thoughts.
Maureen.

Encyclopedia Titanica

Encyclopedia Titanica

Philip Hind
Staff member
Somewhere back in the mists of time I suggested an FAQ for the board. I still think this is a good idea. I might break up the existing site FAQ and reconstitute it on the board. That way we might also encourage more new MB members.

My suggestion is that we post questions we think are most likely to be asked (nothing too deep and philosophical!) and then either answer them ourselves or let others ask them. Then we can direct newbies to the FAQ topic. The FAQ should be different from other topics in that it won't be a place for discussion but for simple question and answer. If we can keep a tight rein on it it should develop into a useful fist stop, meaning newbies won't have to trawl through some of our more convoluted discussion to find the answers they want. I'll set it up and see how it goes.

- You know, that spell checker really wroks

J

John M. Feeney

Hee Hee Hee!
Happy

For a minute there, Phil, I thought you'd anticipated my musings about a new topic group called "Thunderdome", expressly for the venting of otherwise repressed hostilities here:

"Two folks enter, one folk leaves, two folks enter, one folk leaves ..."
(Note: No one under 21 permitted without parental guidance.)
Wink

Cheers!