Denis Griffiths where are you

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

R.Dittrich

I am a relative of Arthur Rous, plumber on the Titanic. I would like to know where Mr.Griffiths found the photograph and would like to see it in better resolution if possible to compare with one supposed to be of Arthur in my possession. If Denis Griffiths could contact me in relation to this I would be very grateful.

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
R.Dittrich wrote:

>I would like to know where Mr.Griffiths found the >photograph and would
>like to see it in better resolution if possible >to compare with one
>supposed to be of Arthur in my possession.

Hi!

Unless I'm mistaken, Dr. Griffiths obtained his photos (as well as all of his biographical info about the engineers) from the Institute of Marine Engineers' booklet, "Memorial to the Titanic's Engineering Staff." The booklet was reprinted by the THS in 1990 -- you might want to check their booklist to see if it's still available.

All my best,

George

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
You're entirely correct, George. In "A Tribute to the Engineering Staff", Rous' picture is oval shaped, and the ET picture is that same shape on a rectangular background. The tribute picture is of a slightly better quality.

R. Dittrich: the tribute that THS has available is only $10. It's item 401 on their Book & Merchandise List. FYI, the original tribute was produced by
The Institute of Marine Engineers Guild of Benevolence
The Memorial Building
76 Mark Lane
London EC3R 7JN

If you are in England, there is a marine memorabilia merchant that also has quite a few copies. His name escapes me at the moment, but I think he's in London and not Southampton.

R

R.Dittrich

George and Mike
Thankyou very much indeed for your help. I am in Southampton, England, but regularly go up to London so could easily go up and get a copy. Mike, if you could possibly dig out the memorabilia man's name and contact number or address if you have it I would be very much obliged.
Regards, Rachel Dittrich

Status
Not open for further replies.