Deodorant in 1912

Jan 28, 2003
The French are extremely rude to each other, Adam, which is why we don't take much notice when they are rude to us. And they've historically had more fun than we have, so that's why we go there. But we have much better military uniforms than they do, so that's why they come to London to look at those. And our old palaces, though smaller, were classier. But they have much better food, and the Mediterranean.

Decades ago, I remember being forced into defending Margaret Thatcher in schoolgirl French, merely because I was English, in a French bar in near Boulogne. When I finally gave up, due to deficient French vocabulary, they swept me off to a seriously good party. I had a very good time. I found my English boyfriend on the beach the next morning, staring out across the Channel towards home and the ferry we were about to catch, moaning that he'd never drink Ricard pastis again. Only your best enemy can do this to you ... it's time I visited again!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's all down to envy, Mon. They have to make do with Ricard Pastis when we've got Cornish pasties. Gotta hand it to them for their rhubarb tarts though.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
And for that hilarious show "Allo' Allo'!"
.....Oh wait, that was English.

An old relative once passed on to me some slides which were taken in 1940's France, architectural type shots most of them......if nothing else they certainly have some astonishingly beautiful buildings and designs.

Cheers,
Adam.

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
My mother is Belgian, which is the country most slandered by the cheese-eating surrender monkeys next door. They do it in the same way the English pretend (in their jokes) that the Irish are all thick.

We have to hate the French - or at least the Normans, who weren't really French per se - as they were the last people to successfully invade the UK in 1066. We don't forget stuff like that.

Shel Cooper

Nov 8, 2013
AZ/LA
I imagine even in First Class on any ship, with the poor ventilation and humidity there was a noticable stank anywhere people gathered. If you could wash your pits every 15 minutes you might beat the BO bug but realistically, probably not. The lower the class and deeper in the ship, the worse it got. Not to be gross but it isn't just the pits that stink either. Not bathing for several days magnifies everything.