Depression and Studying The Titanic

Mar 15, 2001
I know the subject of depression is somewhat of a taboo subject but I was wondering if anyone has felt somewhat depressed by studying the Titanic disaster? I have read so many eyewitness reports from newspapers and books and heard survivor interviews that almost made me feel like I know these people. Its almost as if it only happened yesterday as far as the emotions go. Has anyone else felt this way?

A

Allison Lane

Sort of. When reading about the later lives of my favorite crew members I get a feeling of a kind of bittersweet happiness.
Though I will says this--back when I was heavily working on a Titanic story I did get into some major funks. I usually end up immersing myself in my characters, attempting to feel what they feel so I can better write them, and with such a tragedy as the main subject it was a little hard not to get somewhat down.
happy.gif

-Allison L.

P

Patti Darby

Darren -

I won't go into it, but a bout of depression led me to my interest in Titanic. When I started reading about so many of the brave people (and their incredible lives outside of Titanic), it took me out of my little pity party and into an amazement of how hardy of spirit many of these people were. My impression is that, overall, the people of that era, while not immune to depression over their losses, were less apt to focus on themselves than many of us are.

And, yes, I can see how you could empathize with these people. I cried reading about Violet Jessup and Archibald Gracie, and was truly inspired reading about Mr. Lightoller (cried some then too). They were real people; their spirit still lingers. Why shouldn't we feel for them? And y'know, in a way, it really was only yesterday...

Patti

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Depression from the Titanic? Me?

Well...uh...no.

While tragic, the Titanic was but one of thousands of ships befor and since to challange the North Atlantic and lose. To me, it's a facinating part of history and a challange to understand from a technical point of view.

The basics are well known enough, but the devil is always in the details and it's the details that interest me.

Sarah Houtby

Oct 12, 2005
I suffer a lot from depression (I'm on the highest dose of anti-depressants my doctor is willing to prescribe) I find when I read/study Titanic it really lifts my depression because of the bravery and nobility that was expressed on the night she sank. Although I must admit sometimes the deaths of certain people i.e. 6th officer Moody, or "the Titanic baby" puts me in a funk because their lives were so cruelly cut short. I think Titanic can push a person either way, if you want to interpret things in a depressing way then you will. If you want to see the good things that came of the disaster you will.

M

Mr. E. G. Lewis

I've never been asked that question before. Yes, my interest in the Titanic began around the same year my depression started, as it was diagnosed many years later. I never thought of the two as being connected. Quite the opposite, my study and interest of the event took me "away" from an almost unbearable situation. It is an odd coincidence though.

P

Patti Darby

Welcome aboard, Mr. Lewis. I can think of few things that can take one out of oneself like the stories (and the devilish details) of Titanic and her passengers and crew. I was about to be swallowed by misery when Titanic came to my rescue, so I can somewhat identify with you and the "lightening of the load" that can come by getting involved in a subject with the depth and breadth of Titanic.

Did you just discover this fascinating website or have you been "lurking" for a while?

Anyway, best of luck to you, sir. I hope your situation is better now. It's a great group of people here, supportive and helpful in every way.

Patti

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I would have to say that the nobility of the people of Titanic also helped me out of childhood depression. I've told the tale so many times I don't want to sound like a broken record, but by the end of 1963, I had suffered so many horrible events and illness that I was very sad and lonely. Then 1964 came and brought the Beatles and "A Night To Remember" on television. Both have brought me so much inspiration and taught me many life lessons, including how to survive what happened to me as a small child.

Kyrila