Depth of bow at 215am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
I have often wonder what the approximate depth (below the surface) of the bow was on or about 2.15 am.

T

Tom Pappas

Lightoller considered swimming to the crow's nest, which was barely touching the surface, just as the water came over the bridge rail.

"The demonstration is left to the student."

T

Tom Pappas

Was that too esoteric?

Okay, get an accurately-scaled elevation of the ship. Draw a line from a point B at the top of the bridge rail to point C, the bottom of the crow's nest, and then extend it out beyond the bow. Line BC represents the surface of the water. Now draw a line perpendicular to BC from the point whose depth you want to determine. Measure this line. You're done.

Feb 13, 2003
Crow's nest 55' 06" above Forecastle Deck. Therefore, the bow -Forecasle Deck approximately 55 feet below surface. (Br. enq. report)

Collins

T

Tom Pappas

Well, evidently the Br. enq. report didn't take into account the trim of the ship. Since point C was normally about 30' above point B, BC would be at an angle of (guesstimating) 30° to the deck, making the pointy end of the ship about a hundred feet down.

Feb 13, 2003
(guesstimating) 30° to the deck, making the pointy end of the ship about a hundred feet down.

I make the pointy end (the stem) 104 feet down.

Aug 10, 2002
Gentlemen:
While discussing the depth of the bow at 0215, let us not overlook the height of the stern. How much of the hull was up out of water therefore not supported, and acting as dead weight?
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

T

Tom Pappas

Extend line BC (see above) aft through the ship, and you'll get a pretty good approximation.

Aug 10, 2002
Tom:
I finally got into my office, where my Titanic model is. Anyway I laid a yardstick alongside the model so that it was level with the bridge rail and just touching the bottom of the Crow's Nest, and low and behold following that line aft and I find the entire hull aft of the forth funnel to be out of water. Quite a bit of unsupported weight I'd venture to say.
Regards,
Charlie Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.