Devil In the White City

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2005
Hey,
It's been a while but I found a great book. It is about the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago and I really wasn't expecting it but there is Titanic trivia within it as well. It discusses Frank Millet's appointment to the Exposition with his "Whitewash Gang" and how they were among the first to use spray paint as well as the Director of Works of the Fair and how he was on the Olympic during the night of the Titanic's sinking. It discusses William T. Stead and his brother and how they both commented on the fair. What got me was the fact that the book was nonfiction because it is such an entertaining read. Let me know what you think.

Cliff Johnson

Aug 29, 2000
Somewhere on the board we discussed this book at length. It was Burnham, the architect who was on the Olympic. Yes, Frank saved the day, organized all the competitions and contests such as the swimming and boating races in the lagoon and pretty much livened up the place as well as taking the Palace of Fine Arts (which is still standing in Chicago as it was the only building having to be made of real materials, not the "staff" plaster of paris re-enforced with fiber used in other buildings) in hand. He even had a lagoon boat named after him, captained by Frank's protegee, Jimmy Hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.