DiCaprio "Titanic" made me want to quit

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon Meadows

Oh, boo hoo. "I am idolized by so many that I can write my own meal ticket but I hate to be objectified."

Feb 21, 2005
Sounds a bit like bitter grapes to me. Dicaprio has been nominated numerous times for an academy award and thus far, to my knowledge, he has yet to receive the award.

Let's face it, and I know this will fall under a TON of scrutiny, DiCaprio is not that great an actor, IMO, he's just pretty and draws in an crowd of horny teenage girls.

If being in 'Titanic' was so horrible, why didn't he say so then? And why did he go on right after to shoot 'The Man In the Iron Mask' or whatever it's called?

I wouldn't look at what was said as any more than a publicity stunt, if anything. Leo's always had this semi-mouth on him about acting from what I've observed, so I really don't see this as any different.

Julie Dowen

May 12, 2004
I think Leo DiCaprio is an amazing actor and I'm not some horny teenage girl (wish I was!). He has a right to say how he felt- and thank God he didn't quit acting. (Have you seen Gangs of New York? The Aviator? Catch Me If You Can?) You can not say that he is not talented even from a young age (What's Eating Gilbert Grape). Lets not forget that at the time of Titanic, he was 'snubbed' by the Academy. He was expressing an industry standard of getting 'pigeonholed' into a category when he wanted more of the creative freedom of roles that- after Titanic- he found out that he could have - regardless of his fears- that again, he has a right to express and does acknowledge gratitude to the movie Titanic on that level. He is an environmental crusader and a great actor that deserves respect- regardless of how some people, and the media, interpret his opinion.

J

Jon Meadows

My issue, Julie, is that he is complaining about a film that brought him his popularity and paved the way for other things. I've been aware of him since his days on the sitcom "Growing Pains", in which he was basically the Cousin Oliver of 80s sitcoms. But, Titanic was his breakout role because it was so visible (not because his performance was all that great).

If it weren't for Titanic, he wouldn't be in The Departed or Gangs of New York or Catch Me If You Can or any other films that he's been doing lately.

So, my major beef here is that he is forgetting what made him.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
Leonardo was huge before Titanic. He captured most 13 year old hearts after making "Romeo & Juliet". Titanic was just icing on the cake.

Immediately after the release of this movie, the popularity of Titanic reached new heights, not only in the US, but world wide.

I can remember walking the streets in France and hearing the Titanic theme coming from multiple open windows well after the movie had made it's run through theaters.

I can remember watching video of Leonardo trying to go somewhere in Japan and seeing screaming fans surrounding him asking for autographs.

This movie had a serious affect, not only on the careers, but also on the lives of Leonardo, who wanted to stop being the "boy toy". Kate Winslett, who many felt was too overweight for the part, lost her first love during the opening week of Titanic to bone cancer. Even James Cameron has stopped making feature films and has spent a lot of time under water...literally. Only now has he started work on his first Movie since Titanic. We all react differently to life changing situations. Some are grateful, others are not.

It seems to me that Leonardo wasn't that critical on the movie itself, but on the toll it placed on his personal life afterwards. He didn't want to be the guy who was on "every teen magazine" but not seriously considered for his performance.

So, should Leonardo talk smack about it 10 years after the fact? I don't see why not. Personally, I think his performance in Titanic was not very good. But it's his right to say what he feels. A lot of people do not say what the really feel because they are afraid of the consequences. If you don't like what he says, don't go see his movies. Personally, I think you should go see his newer movies, because he has made some good ones since Titanic.

Julie Dowen

May 12, 2004
Hi Jon - I do appreciate your opinion and your right to it (thats what its all about!). Mine is that a talent like Leo DiCaprio would have come out no matter what. The GREAT,GREAT, BRILLIANT Marty Scorcese may have noticed him no matter what (he, MS himself, states that he believes the reason it took him 19 years to get 'Gangs' to the screen was Leo and his being meant to play the part of Amsterdam- he has made three films with him for some reason!). If I read the comments right — which may have been mis-construded- “It changed my life in a lot of ways, but at the same time, I can't say that it didn't give me opportunities. It made me, for the first time, in control of my career."
He acknowledges that the film Titanic put him in a better acting position although he was considered, in the BIZ, “another piece of cute meat”. This interview was given by him to other actors and should remain in that context. How much was cut out for media sake? Lets give him a break! He was excellent as Jack Dawson and I appreciated his performance (cried every time!) and that is my firm opinion!!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>So, my major beef here is that he is forgetting what made him.<<

I didn't see any evidence that DeCaprio forgot what it was that made him. His beef appears to be the price he paid for that. To bring out and old cliche, "Fame costs" and it looks to me like he was having some serious reservations at the time about whether or not he wanted to pay.

I honestly can't say as I blame him. Celebrity may open some doors, but it often has a dark side to it. Take a look at any copy of a supermarket tabloid and you'll see what I mean.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I, too, read the article, and Leonardo said he wanted to quit for a short time, after that, not just stop acting altogether.

What he mentions is also something that we have observed over time: an actor or actress ends up typecast by one of their more successful roles, and find it difficult to be thought of in any other way.

Prime Examples:
1. Sally Struthers: equated with the "Gloria" character from "All In the Family";
2. Ron Pallilo: don't mention a reunion of the "Welcome Back Kotter" actors to him. He'd wanted, desperately, to have people forget his "Arnold Horshack" role;

3. Edward Winter: paranoid "Colonel Flagg" from MASH. He did appear on other shows, and worked hard to be a likeable person.

Even Ron Howard joked about being forever remembered as "Opie Taylor" or "Richie Cunningham", and thus his decision to leave "Happy Days".
His costar, Henry Winkler, has also said he has no plans to do any re-visits as "Arthur Fonzarelli".

There are many other stories like that, with some, like the late Al Lewis, enjoying being always remembered as "Grandpa" from "The Munsters", while others such as Tina Louise and Eve Plumb tried hard to put their former roles behind them.

Personally, Leo will have many years ahead of him, and many roles to work on, so that even if he's remembered as "Jack Dawson", it won't be the only role for which he earned recognition.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>2. Ron Pallilo: don't mention a reunion of the "Welcome Back Kotter" actors to him. He'd wanted, desperately, to have people forget his "Arnold Horshack" role;<<

Understandable. He's a far more capable actor then this role called for. Ever see this guy doing Shakespeare? I have. Something from MacBeth if I recall correctly and he did a fine job of it. His bio gives an interesting picture of what he's really capable of: Ron Palillo - IMDb

Julie Dowen

May 12, 2004
I've got one for you- how about David Cassidy? How do you stop being typecast yourself? Role-Real Life?
(He is great and still performs in Vegas, now after a complete hiatus for years (check out his 10 Free things to do in Vegas show - its informative!)

I don't feel bad for any of them. "Life is what you make it..." Look at how Danny Bonaduce survives - its called reality tv, its called Dick Clark, its called making connections and making things happen, changing public perception as needed - its called working it or self-promotion, changing careers, starting business' (look at Suzanne Sommers - go girl!). Leo was right that he did get opportunities, all of these people have. Especially in this day and age. R.I.P. Al Lewis - Eddie Munster is out working it as the same character! Ron Howard didn't let nothing stop him! Some people turn lemons into lemonade when givin opportunities - some don't.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Let's remember that these people are human too, and with the same emotional base and sensetivities as any of the rest of us mere mortals. Fame and wealth look appealing from a distance, but when you see your every move under a microscope, you have to wonder if some of it is really worth the bother.

Put it another way, how would you like it if the most intimate details of your sex life were plastered all over the front pages for all to see, whether it was true or not? (Or especially if it wasn't true, but everybody believed that it was?)

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
It seems as though Leo's comments about Titanic were taken out of context.

See here:

S

sharon rutman

Boy, what a kevetch Leo is! He's up for the Oscar in Blood Diamond (Kate Winslet is also a nominee, but I forgot the film she's in)and he's got the chutzpah to complain. So he got a little wet for a couple of hours and drew a georgeous babe in the nude and then had amazing car sex with her. What a tough life.

Donald Wilson

Jan 30, 2007
Just read the article from the link.

Valid points made in the other threads re. making movies, being human, taking its toll, Scorcese wanted to make Gangs with Leo etc.

Frankly, it is really cheeky to do a job, get huge recognition for it both positive and negative in an industry known for being so fickle that Leo should thank his lucky stars that he gets offered any other work, which undoubtedly he will after coming out with the comments he has.

"So he got a little wet for a couple of hours and drew a georgeous babe in the nude and then had amazing car sex with her. What a tough life."

Sharon, by the way Leo lives the dream of many many folk!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.