Did any of the survivors watch the 1997 film?

Logan H

Dec 4, 2018
I know that it's extremely unlikely, considering that only 5 of them were still alive when the movie came out, but still, is there any records of any of the Titanic survivors watching James Cameron's "Titanic" when it came into theaters in 1997 and their reactions to the film? (I am clearly aware that a huge portion of them watched "A Night To Remember" when it came into theaters in 1958.)

Last edited:

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I have a strong feeling that Millvina Dean watched the film. A significant part of the 1998 Titanic Convention in Southampton was discussions about the film and as you might guess, there were some quite polarized views. I do not recall Miss Dean's specific opinion but I have a very strong feeling that I heard her talk about the film as though she has seen it.

Reactions: Logan H
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Actually Millvina did not watched it. She was invited at the premier in Lodon and would have met Prince Charles, but she had not interest. But Eleanor Schuman watched it, I think 2 or 3 times.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Actually Millvina did not watched it. She was invited at the premier in Lodon and would have met Prince Charles, but she had not interest..
She might not have attended the premier in London with all its glitz and publicity but that does not mean that she did not watch the film elsewhere. I attended the 1998 Conference as I mentioned and Ms Dean was there; I spoke to her several times and while this was not necessarily about Cameron's film, I am now fairly certain that by then she had seen it.