Did any of the survivors watch the 1997 film?

Logan Horning

Dec 4, 2018
I know that it's extremely unlikely, considering that only 5 of them were still alive when the movie came out, but still, is there any records of any of the Titanic survivors watching James Cameron's "Titanic" when it came into theaters in 1997 and their reactions to the film? (I am clearly aware that a huge portion of them watched "A Night To Remember" when it came into theaters in 1958.)

Last edited:

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I have a strong feeling that Millvina Dean watched the film. A significant part of the 1998 Titanic Convention in Southampton was discussions about the film and as you might guess, there were some quite polarized views. I do not recall Miss Dean's specific opinion but I have a very strong feeling that I heard her talk about the film as though she has seen it.

Reactions: 1 users
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Actually Millvina did not watched it. She was invited at the premier in Lodon and would have met Prince Charles, but she had not interest. But Eleanor Schuman watched it, I think 2 or 3 times.

Reactions: 1 user

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Actually Millvina did not watched it. She was invited at the premier in Lodon and would have met Prince Charles, but she had not interest..
She might not have attended the premier in London with all its glitz and publicity but that does not mean that she did not watch the film elsewhere. I attended the 1998 Conference as I mentioned and Ms Dean was there; I spoke to her several times and while this was not necessarily about Cameron's film, I am now fairly certain that by then she had seen it.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
She might not have attended the premier in London with all its glitz and publicity but that does not mean that she did not watch the film elsewhere. I attended the 1998 Conference as I mentioned and Ms Dean was there; I spoke to her several times and while this was not necessarily about Cameron's film, I am now fairly certain that by then she had seen it.
wow!!

May 3, 2005
Once again, I will preface this with the disclaimer " I have read.....or I have heard."
Were there those who had seen the 1958 "A Night To Remember" ?
The 1953 "Titanic" ?

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I just think its amazing you met Millivina Dean! Sometimes I wish I was older, I missed all the good Titanic stuff: Parks and Ken, Bill and Eric Sauder talking on here, the plethora of docs being released, and poeple were being more active around here. Especially when the main stream audience seems to be losing interest in our old girl. There was only one documentary between 2018 and now. Kinda hard to find someting new and fasinating. Good thing I found this website!

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I have met 3 survivors - Millvina Dean, Edith Haisman (nee Brown) and Eva Hart. Of the three, Eva Hart was the most interesting as she could remember some details. Although Edith Brown-Haisman was 15+ years old on the Titanic, she was very old and not able to say much when I met her. Millvina Dean was, of course, a 10 week old baby and recalled nothing.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
I believe it was in the 1994 BTS convention in Southampton. Mrs Haisman did not really say much. I recall Eva Hart talking about her mother's anxiety and especially her view of the sinking Titanic from the lifeboat. She said something about the ship's lights growing brighter for a while but I am guessing that was merely due to her own night vision improving.