Did Captain Smith order 3rd class gates to be locked

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Hi Guys, Didn't Captain Smith once visited the 3rd class area during the voyage. If so he would of been thinking of the 3rd class passenagers.<<

As Dave indicated, this would have been part of Captain Smith's daily inspection rounds. Pretty routine stuff and not the sort of thing one gives a lot of thought to once it's done with. If he noted any discrepancies, he would have told the responsible department head or officer about it with the usual instructions to "make it go away" then moved on to other things.

No indifference here but no special concerns above and beyond the call of special concern.

A

Alyson Jones

Hi Micheal H Standart and Dave.Did Captain smith ever spoke too 3rd class passenagers while the Captain was doing his 3rd class rounds?
Melven Dean i think that's her name, She survived Titanic as a 3rd class passenager,She in an documentry stated that captain Smith came down to 3rd class area.
Captain Smith also bent down and patted her on the head and smiled at her,she even remembered his blue eyes.
Can you recall this documentry before?
Cheers

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Did Captain smith ever spoke too 3rd class passenagers while the Captain was doing his 3rd class rounds?<<

He may well have. While there's no direct first hand record of it that I know of, I don't think he would have casually snubbed passengers.

>>Captain Smith also bent down and patted her on the head and smiled at her,she even remembered his blue eyes.<<

Since Miss Dean was only two months old at the time and didn't even know she was on the ship until so informed by her family, that one is a little hard to believe. Perhaps she heard that from a family member as well.

A

Alyson Jones

Hi,yes true, but her mother would of been with her at the time since she was only 2 months old.
Maybe her mother told her the about Captain smith.
Wait i could be mistaken, it could of been eva hart,it was one of those women. Cheers

A

Alyson Jones

Eva Hart is so lucky, i wounder what will be like to actually talk to the captain.
I thought about this for a long time.
Ist more likely that the gates wern't locked cause eva would of stated it in her interveiw for the documentry. Cheers

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Eva Hart was traveling in 2nd Class, so would have known nothing of the situation for 3rd Class passengers.

Many of the 3rd Class passengers were indeed discouraged from going early to the boat deck, there's no doubt about that. But this policy was achieved by the presence of crew members instructing them to wait, not by locked gates which didn't exist. Those who decided to ignore these instructions and make their own way to the boats mostly had no great difficulty in doing so.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Ist more likely that the gates wern't locked cause eva would of stated it in her interveiw for the documentry.<<

I have to ask again: What gates? The locked bostwick gates portrayed in the movies are not the ones mentioned in testimony and the evidence that they even existed is very dubious. We know of the set barring the gangway doors on D-deck but this is of no relevance since this is 1st class country.

The set up forward is of no concern since it was flooded out and evacuated very early on. The set at the stairway by the vegetable prep room wasn't even in a passenger area. The locked gates mentioned in testimony are waist high gates out on the weather decks and were easily cleared by climbing or vaulting over them.

What locked gates?
eh.gif

A

Alyson Jones

That's what i am saying cause the 3rd class passenager's like Eva Hart and Melven Dean never ever mention/stataed about being locked down bihind gates in there interviews.
So i'm saying i believe you guys that there was no gates ever being locked.

May 27, 2007
Hi Alyson,

Well look at these Passengers or witnesses.

Eva Hart was about 7 or around there. So she'd remember if the gates were locked. But Her family traveled 2nd Class. Although maybe she got curious and nosed around or maybe not. Her Mother supposedly slept during the day and was up during the night because she didn't like that ship at all and didn't trust it as far as you could throw the ship. So Eva was watched mostly by her Dad during the day and he probably wouldn't want her going near the Steerage Area. So she probably spent her days on Titanic with her Father.

Millvina Dean- Was just two months old so she got all her information second hand from her Mother later on in life. Millvina didn't find out she was on the ship til she was 7 or so when her Mother re-married. Her Family was in steerage and I'm sure her mother would remember if there were gates but would her mother tell her about those gates for try to protect her from that knowledge? I think her mother would of told her later on in life about any gates barring the Third Class from other area's of the ship so there probably weren't any gates or they didn't bar the passengers that night.
happy.gif

A

Alyson Jones

Hey, i forgot about eva being second class!
Yeah i heard that she never ever trusted Titanic but also i think it was murdock when he was transferred to the Titanic stated that *i don't like this ship*Titanic must have a spokey felling.
You're story sounds good and right.

Regrads

A

Alyson Jones

What you got rid of you're Titanic books, why?

LoL,I just every Titanic buffs information,we all love studding Titanic so i trust you.

Regrads

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>What you got rid of you're Titanic books, why?<<

George will have to speak to his reasons but for some, it's because a really good collection will take up a lot of space. Hundreds of books have been written on the subject, some of which are worth having. (Not all of them, but some.) Another reason is that some really rehash the same ground that others do and often uncritically repeat the same mistakes.

2012 is coming so you may see a lot of old titles re-released along with some new ones. Keep your eyes open.

A

Alyson Jones

Well yes, books can repeat things 1000 times over again,now i see why.
yes i shall get my self new Titanic books,and i can't wait for 2012.

May 27, 2007
Hello Mike and Alyson,

Actually I had gotten a bunch of books cheap a year after the movie came out. I kept them a while and like Mike said they tend to take up space. But what I remember was that I was moving from Wyoming to Iowa and had to shed a few things to travel lightly. I gave them to my Sister's youngest. A fellow Titanic enthusiast like her uncle. I'm surprised I don't see her post on here. Of course the interest might of waned. She a busy young lady now. Although she still reads the books and has looked things up for me.

Chase Pounds

Sep 7, 2016
Hi. The documentary you are referring to that shows the gates in the wreck is from "Secrets of the Titanic Reveled"

T

Talira Greycrest

As far as I'm aware, the crew were not as thorough or prompt in getting Third Class passengers to the boat deck and a lack of familiarity with the layout of the upper decks made escape upwards more difficult. Then, at some points, men were prevented from gaining access to the boat deck, although women were allowed up. As a result, only 25% of Third Class passengers survived while roughly 62% of First Class passengers and 59% of Second Class passengers survived.