Did Henry Price Hodges supply the pianos

S

Sue Rowbotham

Hello I am new to this bulletin board so forgive me if this has been posted to the wrong place.

My grandfather, Victor BAINBRIDGE, an apprentice piano tuner and french polisher, helped to tune the seven pianos aboard R.M.S. TITANIC whilst she was moored in Southampton in 1912. According to family legend he was invited to sail with her on her ill-fated maiden voyage, but luckily for him and for his future family (including myself of course) his mother said that he was too young, and refused to let him go.

I understand that a local company supplied the seven pianos that were aboard - does anyone here know the name of the company?  I know that Mr. HENRY PRICE HODGES, aged 50, a musical instrument vendor from Highfield Lane, Southampton, was a second class passenger aboard the vessel and was on his way to see his brother in New York. Sadly he died in the disaster. Henry is said to have been '... the owner of the biggest music shop and piano warehouse in Southampton.' Did the pianos come from Henry's company?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Sue

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
You are in the right spot, Sue.

Titanic Voices mentions Mr Hodges but does not hint that he supplied pianos to the ship. I would have thought that White Star would get them from the makers. Hodges' main shop was at 117 Above Bar and he had other branches. After his death the business was sold for £1,000 to a Mr Dean.

Hodges used to advertise in The Southampton Pictorial and this might say if he supplied the ship, as naturally he would be proud to do so.

Try writing to

City Heritage
Civic Centre
Southampton
SO14 7LP
United Kingdom

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Sue:
What an interesting background.
Dave:
You beat me to it on the "Titanic Voices" references. I didn't quite understand the Dean family references, but according to the book, Bertram Dean (Millvina's brother) married Dorothy Sinclair, whose father had purchased some of the H.P. Hodges business.
Thanks to my Bill Wormstedt index, I also found a picture of Mr. Hodges on page 116.

S

Sue Rowbotham

Hello Mike and Dave

Many thanks for your advice and help. Back in 1992 I wrote to British Titanic Society enquiring about the pianos aboard and describing my grandfather's connection. Brian Ticehurst, a Titanic Researcher and Shipping Historian, replied on behalf of the Society and said that the seven pianos 'were installed and tuned by a local firm on contract. Unfortunately ... there is no record of which of the twenty or so Pianoforte tuner firms that were in Southampton in 1912 had the contract.'

I will certainly try City Heritage in Southampton Dave and will post more information here if I find it.

Thanks again for your help.

Sue

S

Sue Rowbotham

Hello again

Mike - could you enlighten me about the Bill Wormstedt index? Is it possible to see a copy of HENRY HODGE's photograph on P116 on-line or would I need to obtain a copy of the book?

Thanks again

Sue

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Sue:
You opened up a can of worms (no pun intended, Bill) for me. I started looking through old "Atlantic Daily Bulletin"s to see if Brian might have printed your letter and his response, and came across a Spring 1992 article by Frank Gottman entitled "The Titanic Organ." It tells of the organ made in Freiburg/ Brlisgau, Germany by K. Welte & Sons that was supposed to be installed on the Titanic but which was not finished in time. It is apparently on exhibit nowadays at the Museum Mechanischer Musikinstrumente (Museum of Mechanical Musical Instruments).

Like your grandfather, Mr. Karl Bockisch-Welte of the firm was in Southampton and, even though the organ hadn't made it, he was invited on Titanic's maiden voyage. At the last moment he received a telegram that a family member was seriously ill, and he changed his plans, and inadvertently saved his own life.

Could this same firm have made the pianos? (As soon as I wrote this I realized that some Titanic music expert is going to rise up and expose my musical illiteracy and mention something about apples and oranges). I'll contact Brian Ticehurst and see if he knows how to reach Frank Gottam.

You can reach Bill Wormstedt's website through the links section here on ET. It's in the general section. That will just get you the index to the "Titanic Voices", though, and not the picture. You'd have to get the book to get the picture, but I think you'd find it worthwhile. This was an excellent book which, unfortunately was not indexed at the time, and which Bill and many others worked at for quite awhile to index. If you like, send me your address off-line and I'll photocopy the Hodges photo and the organ article and snail mail them to you (I'm pre-scan generation). [email protected]

Jun 30, 2009
Hello Everyone

Does anyone know, or is there a list of the companies etc who supplied the Titanic with everything - but who supplied the musical instruments would do?

I have been sent a story about a 14 year old lad apprecenticed to the man who supplied the pianos and other musical equipment. The family story goes the lad called, Victor Bainbridge, was told he could sail, with the piano supplier, if his mother agreed. She did not agree to his going. I'm just trying to add some weight to this story.

It has been suggested Victor may have worked for Henry Price Hodges who was a musical equipment supplier in Southhampton. But research on this site indicates Hodges was travelling to visit relatives in NY and had intended to travel weeks earlier but was delayed because of the coal strike.

Thanks for any help supplied - please post to this list or email me at [[email protected]]

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Henry P. Hodges was a "normal" 2nd class passenger and has nothing to do with the pianos on board Titanic.

All 5 pianos were from Steinway & Sons coming directly from the factory in Hamburg (Germany) and shipped to Belfast.
There was no one from Steinway & Sons on board as there was no need for someone to be there.

The other instruments belonged to the musician.

Jun 30, 2009
Hello Sue - in reference to your old post - I'm doing a story on Victor Bainbridge for the Western Ancestor - journal of the WA Genealogical Society Inc in Perth WA.

I've done some basic research, on this site, on Henry Price Hodges & I don't think he supplied the pianos for Titanic. But you may already know this, by now.

Hodges originally planned to travel weeks before Titanic sailed, but could not, because of the coal strike. Also, he was advised to take the voyage because of his health and was visiting relatives in NY and travelled with 2 ladies - don't know anything about them. Also, it looks like he paid for his ticket.

I'm not sure - but I think the suppliers, workers, builders etc were given complimentary tickets. There was a docomentary about this some years back.

If Sue, or anyone else, has more recent information on this "old" post please post to this board, or contact me on email at [[email protected]]

[Moderator's note: This message and the two above it, originally two separate threads, have been moved to this pre-existing, and now re-opened, thread addressing the same subject. 2. Because of #1, a link to the first message in this thread has been removed from this message as unnecessary. MAB]

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
Hello, Jennifer---

Please note that Sue Rowbotham's messages in this thread are over eleven years old and are the only ones she ever posted to this board. Although others may respond, as Ioannis already has, Sue will probably not.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Yes, the days of "sponsored" musical equipment and the like were not so prominent in Titanic's time, the musicans simply brought along what they themselves possessed.

I was going to say Steinman instead of Steinway....must be confusing Edwardian piano manufacturers with Jim Steinman. Easy enough mistake to make.... ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.

Sally Baker

May 18, 2017
Hello I am new to this bulletin board so forgive me if this has been posted to the wrong place.

My grandfather, Victor BAINBRIDGE, an apprentice piano tuner and french polisher, helped to tune the seven pianos aboard R.M.S. TITANIC whilst she was moored in Southampton in 1912. According to family legend he was invited to sail with her on her ill-fated maiden voyage, but luckily for him and for his future family (including myself of course) his mother said that he was too young, and refused to let him go.
Â
I understand that a local company supplied the seven pianos that were aboard - does anyone here know the name of the company? I know that Mr. HENRY PRICE HODGES, aged 50, a musical instrument vendor from Highfield Lane, Southampton, was a second class passenger aboard the vessel and was on his way to see his brother in New York. Sadly he died in the disaster. Henry is said to have been '... the owner of the biggest music shop and piano warehouse in Southampton.' Did the pianos come from Henry's company?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Sue
Hi Sue. I am Henry's great great niece. The answer to your question regarding piano supply is NO he didnt. Apparantly they would of been supplied in ireland where it was furnished.