Answered Did Jack and Rose really exist?

Ranime

Nov 18, 2018
Were the characters Jack Dawson and Rose DeWitt Bukater based on real Titanic passengers?

May 3, 2005
Were the characters Jack Dawson and Rose DeWitt Bukater based on real Titanic passengers?
In the 1953 "Titanic" the main characters were mainly fictional.
They might have been based on real passengers though.
The real Jack Thayer was a young man who was a tennis player and "Gifford Rogers"(Robert Wagner) was a young man who was a tennis player but there the similarity ends.
The character "Maude Young" (Thelma Ritter) is said to be "loosely based on Mrs. Margaret Brown."

James Cameron might have based his "Jack and Rose" characters in the 1997 "Titanic" on the equally fictional characters "Gifford and Annette" in the 1953 "Titanic". But at least "Gifford" was a higher class college student who "had to get his blue surge suit pressed for dinner" and not borrow a tuxedo like "Jack " did ! LOL

Many of the characters in "A Night To Remember " (1958) are said to be based on real passengers .

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020
i personally do not see the Dawson man no more than a man on the ship that had the same last name as the movie character Jack Dawson. One reason is that his first name is not Jack. It is James I believe or perhaps Joseph. He was buried in the Titanic victims section in Nova Scotia. The name of the cemetery escapes me for the moment.

May 3, 2005
There is some additional information on the Internet concerning many instances where scene by scene and word for word are copied from "A Night To. Remember" (1958) to "Titanic" (1997).
And even maybe some from "Titanic" (1953)
However there is a little difference and some similarities between "Gifford and Annette" in the 1953 "Titanic" and "Jack and Rose" in the 1997 "Titanic".
Similarity - Boy meets girl in both movies romantic development.
The line "I wouldn't have missed this......." is identical in both the 1953 and 1997 movies.
The 1953 version seems more believable in that IMHO a middle or maybe even an upper class college boy would be more likely to meet an upper class girl on the Titanic than a poor boy who was
little more than a traveling hobo or tramp would have been.
There is however a difference.
"Gifford" apparently survives......"Jack"doesn't.

This actually might sound a bit on the funny side. :)
Idea for a sequel:
Rose Dewitt-Bukater marries Ben Calvert.They raise a family.
Annette Sturges marries Gifford Rogers.They raise a family.
Both families meet on the maiden voyage of RMS Queen Mary in 1936. LOL

Last edited:

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
The love affair (jack and rose) in 97 movie should had been between an officer and a first-class lady.

The rules of wsl were no officer were allowed to fantasise with any passengers and visra versa. Nearly the same story line as Jack and rose because of class distinction. what a story that would been, Very exciting. Of cause I will imagine that the first class lady was me!