Did Lowe want to go back

James Steele

Mar 1, 2011
I have read the account of survivor Mrs.Minahan in a book just recently. In it she states that officer Lowe only decided to row back after the women pleaded him and then swore about the prospect. Could this possibly be true, or was it just that she was pissed off at him because he said she was taking too slow to transfer into a lifeboat?

W

William Conrad

I'm afraid I've never heard Mrs.Minahan's account, so I couldn't say for certain. Was she the one that Lowe admonished when they got to the Carpathia? Anyway, if there's one thing that studying the Titanic has taught me, it's that people are often not above changing the facts to suit there own selfish interests!

I seem to remember reading somewhere, that a wealthy first class passenger (was it that man Lightoller allowed in No6) later criticised Capt. Smith. Even going as far as claiming that he was shocked when he found out Capt. Smith was in charge of the Titanic and that he had foreseen disaster ahead! But then again, he would say that, wouldn't he! It's easy to appear clever and all knowing to your society chums after the event, with the gift of hindsight...

It's entirely possible that Mrs.Minahan's account is accurate, but it may not be either! I guess there's no way of proving it beyond a doubt, so take every 'fact' with a pinch of salt. I'm sure many people 'coloured' their accounts to make them appear more nobler or heroic than they really were in real life! Is this not human nature?

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Just a note here. Probably your best avenue would be to read other passenger's and crew's accounts who were also in lifeboat #14 - Lowe's boat. Some of the testimonies can be found right here. I would definitely get another person's viewpoint other than the one you have mentioned. JMHO.

Best regards,
Cook

C

CSmith

I know what you mean William about people changing
the facts it is so annoying take the Edith Evans and Caroline Brown insistant we all know that when they got to the lifeboat Miss Evans said to Mrs Brown "You go first you are married and have children waiting at home " but in "Titanic - an illustrated history "by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall they say on page 133 that Miss Evans said to Mrs Brown after that and said "Never mind I will get in a later boat " then apparantly turned and hurried away along the the deck .However this must be incorrect as one of the men called to her from the boat and said "Theres going to be another boat put down for you " such a shame there was not
Carol

Apr 16, 2001
Dear Carol,

Regarding Edith Evans and Caroline Brown:

Caroline Brown was the source for both statements allegedly made by Edith prior to boat D's departure.

In many of Mrs. Brown's accounts, she does claim that Edith suggested that she go first, in view of the fact that she had children at home to think of. Edith reportedly also stated that she would follow in a later boat, according to Mrs. Brown. Unless Mrs. Brown felt absolutely selfish and responsible for leaving the young woman behind, there is no reason to doubt her claim that Edith made both statements.

It is also interesting to point out that Edith may have elected to remain aboard of her own free will - not because there was room for just one other person, as legend has it. It is hard to imagine Edith not having the opportunity to find a space in boat D when there was plenty of room - especially minutes later when Hugh Woolner and Hokan Bjornstrom-Steffanson leaped into it, and later when Fred Hoyt was pulled in. It is my belief that Edith's inability to find a seat in the boat was attributed to her own fear of the water. She was reported to have been warned that she would meet death while on the sea. To my mind, Edith may have considered the lifeboat more dangerous than remaining aboard the Titanic even at that late hour.

Michael Findlay

Carol

Oct 8, 2010
I see were your coming from Michael but I would of thought that she would of wanted to stay with her fiend , and another thing call me a sceptic but it seems rather odd that quite a few of the passengers were warned about travelling on water Edith Evans and Alice Fortune among others
Carol

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
To make matters worse, Edith Evans was told by one of the crew that another boat was still to be lowered. He meant one of the collapsibles on the deckhouse and of course that never happened. I'm inclined to agree with Gracie, who thought she simply lost her nerve at a critical moment.

C

Captain Erik D Wood

I have Several Thoughts On Mr. Lowes Actions.

As a sailor the thought of returning even an empty lifeboat into an area of mass hestaria or panick is not all that good of an idea. Lowe seeing that there where people in the water I am pretty sure decided that he should go back but should wait until things calmed down. He did not want to add to the death toll. Mainly himself and the crew of the boat. Plus organinzing and transfering personnel in lifeboats while at sea is not an easy task. Especially back in those days. I have tried in a training exercise only thank goodness and it takes time. Did he want to go back? I think he did and most of the testimony and accounts of the situation said that the he did. The Passneger were not all that excited about transfering boats in the cold darkness.