Did many passengers wear stocking caps on cold nights?

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Is that what it is called? I have a few and wear one a lot in cold weather but now that I know they are called 'stocking caps'. might have second thoughts. :D

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 4, 2000
Watch Cap

At sea, what you call a "stocking cap" is known on US navy and merchant ships as a "watch cap." It is worn by seamen working outdoors in cold weather for protection. However the design of the cap does not limit hearing orders or the sounds of approaching danger such as a steamship whistle. A decided advantage of this headgear is that it stays put in the wind unlike other hats that have a tendency to sail off with an unexpected gust. This type of cap goes back in history about a far as people have been working in cold weather.

-- David G. Brown

Nov 14, 2005
Watch Cap

At sea, what you call a "stocking cap" is known on US navy and merchant ships as a "watch cap." It is worn by seamen working outdoors in cold weather for protection. However the design of the cap does not limit hearing orders or the sounds of approaching danger such as a steamship whistle. A decided advantage of this headgear is that it stays put in the wind unlike other hats that have a tendency to sail off with an unexpected gust. This type of cap goes back in history about a far as people have been working in cold weather.

-- David G. Brown
I still have my watch cap and p-coat from when I mustered out. When I came back from the tropics to San Francisco those 2 items were worth their weight in gold to me.

May 3, 2005
As I best remember the "Navy Issue" caps were made of heavy wool or cotton.
Fortunately , I never had to wear mine.
It stayed at the bottom of my seabag for four years.
You could pull them down over your ears to keep your ears warm but you could still hear most sounds.
Unfortunately my mother gave away all my old "Navy Issue" items to a needy family . :-(
I then had to get my "Foul Weather Gear" from the "Men's Wear Department." :-(

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
Watch Cap

-- David G. Brown
Karl Malden looks great in a watch cap in the 1979 movie Beyond the Poseidon Adventure. In my opinion, his acting was terrific in that otherwise cheesy film.
km.jpg

And you're right, I do remember seeing paintings of sailors on old wooden sailing ships wearing watch caps, so that cap has been used throughout history for hundreds of years and it's still effective today! :D