Did Margaret Brown's husband really try to shoot her twice?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I've just watched the 1996 TV mini-series Titanic and in it, the character of Hazel Foley (Eva Marie Saint) points out Molly Brown (played by Marilu Henner in this film) to Isabella Paradine (Catherine Zeta-Jones) when the Titanic is docked at Southampton and she says this quote about her:

That's the infamous Molly Brown. Her husband made a fortune in silver and gold mines. They say he tried to shoot her twice. It's a terrible scandal. She's crude, but one can't ignore her, she's far too rich.
It's at 16:30 in this video:

Was this a true incident that her husband tried to kill her, or was it either a real rumor or a fictional story invented for this film?

It seems every Titanic movie with her in it portrays her in different ways so it's hard to tell whether it's taken from true events or if it's all myths and legends.

There is also a goof in the film mentioned above: Molly Brown actually boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It's just a bit of trash from a trashy telemovie. No movie has depicted Margaret Brown accurately. There's plenty of material about a prominent figure in US history but the movie makers prefer crude sensation.

Reactions: 2 users
Apr 3, 2020
I don't know if he tried to shoot her, but they made up the story on Alice, the nanny to the Allison children. They took a rumor and ran with it.

Then they made up the whole story of the Astors. John had 2 sons, yes, but one of them was the one she was pregnant with.

Don't even get me started on the Captain and Ismay.

Reactions: 1 user
Apr 3, 2020
Sorry, my point was that it could all just be made up like everything else in the movie to move the story along.

Nov 14, 2005
I remember watching it and not being very impressed by it. It had the dumb rape scene in it that had nothing to do with anything other than just to throw it in. I like Catherine Zeta-Jones so thats probably the only reason I made it thru the movie. I read some things about the Allison nanny but I have forgotten most of it. They tried to make her out as a kidnapper or something. Will have to go check that out.