Did Moody commit suicide?

Toma

Dec 17, 2018
Hello, dear forum members! I have just registered on ET, so for the time being I don’t know much about the system, and if I did something wrong, I apologize in advance. Perhaps this topic has already been raised earlier, but I still could not find the answer to my question: was there really an officer who shot himself on Titanic, and who could this officer be? I know that these are just guesses and fictions, but I just can’t accept the idea that Moody is recorded as a suicide! I just don't want to believe it. He could not do this: after all, his whole life was ahead, he was a man with a good sense of humor, he was a strong personality. I do not want to believe that Moody could have shot himself! What do you think about this?
P.S. If you have any articles about the sixth officer of the Titanic, please give me links. I cannot find these articles myself ... Thank you in advance!
P.S.S. Forgive me for my bad english.

Reactions: 1 person

Brad Rousse

Nov 27, 2002
Prague, Czech Rep.
Welcome to the board.

Unfortunately, facts do not care what we think or feel. So, if Moody shot himself... Moody shot himself.

You may be relieved to know that Moody is only a "candidate" because he was an officer lost in sinking and his body wasn't recovered. As far as we know he didn't have a gun, but he might have had his own sidearm for personal use as Lowe did. Murdoch or Wilde is usually fingered as the one who did it, if indeed there was a suicide at all.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I know that these are just guesses and fictions, but I just can’t accept the idea that Moody is recorded as a suicide! I just don't want to believe it.<<

Reality doesn't care what we believe, what we want, or if it offends us. Like Brad said, if he man dropped the hammer on himself, then that's what he did. Now that much said, the following resource may be of some use to you. I know some of the guys who put this together and the followed the sources to wherever they led.

Shots in the Dark

Nov 14, 2005
I agree that it could be all wrong. Next is just my opinion. I believe that there were probably warning shots fired at some point to try and maintain order. Enough people reported hearing gunshots that I think thats probably what happened but I have no proof of that. I would like to think that nobody did themselves in but who knows. I once work with a guy for twenty some years. I was really taken aback when told he drove into the desert and did himself in. He was suffering from severe clinical depression for years as I was told later. I had no clue he was suffering from that. He was a good guy and very good worker. So you never know.

Reactions: Toma

Toma

Dec 17, 2018
I read somewhere that a crowd of panicked men pushed Moody overboard. Has anyone met such information? How reliable is it?

Toma

Dec 17, 2018
I do not even remember where I found this information. It seemed to me implausible, so I decided to clarify it here.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I have never come up such a story even not when I search for information for my "Shots in the Dark" series I wrote several years ago. There is however the story that Bride and Boxhall saw Moody in the water with a gun shot wound. He swum to boat No. 4 where he was taken aboard and died there. Aside that this is the only known story no other researcher was able to find the primary source for this claim (Bride aboard collapsible B and Boxhall in boat No. 2 would have been unable to see such incident and no one in lifeboat No. 4 mentioned it.)
There is also a weak theory put forward by Murdoch Biographer Susanne Störmer that Moody committed suicide on the boat deck at lifeboat No. 16 but there is no single proof for it. (Also Moody did not had a firearm.)

Reactions: Toma