Did the Allisons have a personal steward?

mary mason

Aug 24, 2003
can anyone tell me if the Allisons had a personal steward or stewardess and if so what was their name? also did every first class cabin have a steward who they could go to with any problems etc?
thanks

Dec 6, 2000
Hi Mary,

My understanding is that Bedroom Stewards [I have no idea about the Stewardesses] generally looked after about 8 or 9 staterooms. - If you go to the American Inquiry on the opening page of this web-site and look up Stewards Etches and Cunningham, you will see that the speak about the rooms they looked after.

I hope that helps.

Dec 7, 2000
Lester,

According to that "Hands" book I mentioned, Faulker was the one who had the port cabins, and thus apparently would have looked after the Allisons ... however he then also apparently looked after a few of the fore C deck cabins on the starboard side as well.

Daniel.

Dec 6, 2000
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for that information. It sounds as if Faulkner had a larger number of rooms to look after than other bedroom stewards.

mary mason

Aug 24, 2003
Thankyou Lester and Daniel for your help.
Faulkner was the one who held baby Trevor while Alice got in lifeboat 11 wasn't he? I wonder if he had told the Allison's and the other passengers of the danger or if he just saved himself? just thinking out loud. thanks for help
happy.gif

Jun 4, 2003
Hi! Are there any accounts about whether any other crew members in any class were personally connected to passengers? I mean, did those stewards were paid extra in order to provide better services to passengers who travelled alone or were of a certain age? Thanks!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Stewards were free to accept tips from the passengers they served. White Star had no objection to this - indeed it was expected, and helped to justify the very low wage they received (less than £1 for a week's work). Though theoretically the standard service was second to none, any enterprising steward would be willing to go one step further in the hope of getting a larger tip, but they would have to take a chance that they would get it. Any attempt to demand money for extra services would lead to dismissal.

The saloon stewards (ie waiters) in 1st Class each served one particular table, and if the table was small enough that could mean they worked exclusively with just one family. William Burke, for instance, waited only on the Strausses, who fortunately for him were both wealthy and generous.

The 2nd Class passengers were less wealthy but they could generally be relied on to do what was socially expected of them, and that including tipping. The stewards who had the biggest problem feeding their families were those working in 3rd Class, who had little opportunity to offer personal service to passengers equipped with the means to reward it.