Did the crew also have safety functions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2005
On a modern passenger ship the entire crew has a function within the safety organization. That is, a cook may also be the driver of a lifeboat in case of emergency. Do you know if they had a similar system on the Titanic?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Do you know if they had a similar system on the Titanic?<<

Not exactly. That was part of the problem.

The seamen and engineers had designated lifeboat stations and some of them even knew what they were. (And some had no earthly idea what they were.) However, comprehensive crew training from cook to Captain on emergency stations was something for the future. What this meant for Titanic was that when the crunch was on, you had a lot of people who were part of the crew who really had no clue what they were supposed to do.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Certain stewards were entrusted with closing minor watertight doors on the lower decks. These were to be closed by hand, using tools provided and kept close to each door. From the little evidence we have, this was apparently done in a haphazard fashion.

Things changed after WW I and I think there is an article somewhere on ET about the first stewardess to be put in charge of a lifeboat, some time in the 30s.

When it comes to crew training, I think of the comment of Gustav Mahler, who said in another context, "What you call your tradition is only your own laziness and slovenliness." Titanic was sunk in accordance with a tradition of muddling through.

Status
Not open for further replies.