Did the Olympic still stop at Cherbourg in 1934?

Casper

Dec 26, 2018
Hi. I am currently in the process of writing a book, involving the Olympic. It starts off at Cherbourg harbor in 1934, so I was hoping if anyone knows if the Olympic still sailed to Cherbourg, and what tender would sail passengers out to the ship. and maybe what time the Olympic would arrive. I know it is a lot of questions, but I hope some of you can help me.

Fernando MG

Aug 8, 2018
I think that in Olympic´s later career, the Queenstown stop was deleted from the itinerary and Plymouth added, but I can´t remember the year. As far as I know, the Cherbourg stop remained.
As regarding to tenders, SS Nomadic was still in use, but renamed Ingénieur Minard and managed by the Société Cherbourgeoise de Remorquage et de Sauvetage. She and SS Traffic (now Ingénieur Riebell) were used for Cunard White Star liners. Cunard´s tender SS Lotharingia and a sister ship were also in service there. Their French livery was black funnels with a red band.
PS: If you search for Cherbourg photos in the late 60s, you can see that these tenders were still in use.
DaaIXGSX4AAr7vq.jpg

Last edited:

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
I think that in Olympic´s later career, the Queenstown stop was deleted from the itinerary and Plymouth added, but I can´t remember the year. As far as I know, the Cherbourg stop remained.
As regarding to tenders, SS Nomadic was still in use, but renamed Ingénieur Minard and managed by the Société Cherbourgeoise de Remorquage et de Sauvetage. She and SS Traffic (now Ingénieur Riebell) were used for Cunard White Star liners. Cunard´s tender SS Lotharingia and a sister ship were also in service there. Their French livery was black funnels with a red band.
PS: If you search for Cherbourg photos in the late 60s, you can see that these tenders were still in use.
View attachment 45699

Except for the tender Traffic, sunk during WW2

Reactions: 1 user

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Plymouth replaced Queenstown as an inbound call on the Southampton service from its inception in 1907. It wasn't added "in Olympic's later career."

Reactions: 1 user