Did the stewards and stewardesses sleep together?

Hitch

Feb 4, 2004
Yea, sorry Bob.
I don't speak French.

Could you maybe translate for me?

Michael: Thank you for the information.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Sorry, Carl, I thought that all Dutch-speaking Belgians spoke French as their second language. Obviously not! Or am I wrong in thinking that you are Belgian?

Well, Monique, I don't speak Dutch but my computer thinks it can so this might make sense:

De twee vrouwelijke kassiers van het restaurant deelden een ruimte met slechts twee bedden. De vrouwen werden altijd gegeven plaatsen aan slaap afzonderlijk van de mannen. In 1912 was het ondenkbaar dat zij in de zelfde plaats zouden slapen.

Anyway, here's the complete picture (in English). There were not many women working on the ship, but here's where they all slept:

19 stewardesses - in small shared cabins (women only!) in various locations in the passenger accommodation areas.

2 Restaurant cashiers - shared a cabin in the 1st Class passenger area of E deck.

1 attendant and 1 masseuse (for ladies only) for the Turkish bath - they shared a cabin on F deck near their place of work. There were several other small crew cabins in that location, all occupied by men (like the male masseur and bath attendant). That's the closest that any of the female crew members got to their male counterparts in terms of sleeping locations.

Hitch

Feb 4, 2004
Well, most Belgians speak French. Well, almost every adult. But I'm not an adult.
happy.gif

The stewardess in my book is Miss Evelyn Marsden. She was a real stewardess on the Titanic. But can someone tell me where here cabin was?

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Although we know where the cabins were, in most cases we don't know for sure which stewardesses used them. Miss Marsden shared with Mary Sloan and possibly one other. Perhaps somebody can tell you for sure, but if not I think it most likely they were in the cabin next to stateroom C127, which was close to the doctors' cabins and surgery.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
There are no photographs of the crew accommodation and we can't assume that all the stewardess cabins were furnished in the same way, but Violet Jessop mentioned looking over the side of her top bunk at her room-mate in the bottom bunk. These may have been the same type of open-framed iron bunks used in the larger crew cabins, but 'over the side' suggests the wooden box type as used in the 3rd Class passenger cabins.

Jul 20, 2000
Looking through some old posts I note that on the 26th of December 2000 Hildo Thiel posted:

"From Craig Stringer I have the following information about which stewardesses where on which deck.

- Mrs. Gold was on B-deck, with Mrs Martin.
- Mrs. Leather was on C-deck with Miss Jessop
- Miss Sloan was on C-deck too, with Miss Marsden.
- Miss Prichard was on D-deck. She shared her cabin with Miss Smith. So I think we can put Miss Smith on D-deck too.
- Mrs. Robinson was on E-deck, with two others. Possibly, Miss Lavington and Mrs. Bliss.
- Miss Stap may have worked on A-deck.

- The cashiers, Miss Martin and Miss Bowker shared a cabin on E-deck.

And about which stewardesses where on which deck, we don't know on which deck, Mrs. McLaren, Mrs. Bennet, Miss Gregson and Mrs. Roberts where.

And I think Mrs. Slocombe and Miss Caton shared a cabin too, but on which deck I don't know."

Deck plans indicate that the [male] Turkish Bath attendants had an outside room on the port-side of F-deck; the female Turkish bath attendants had an inside one, backing on to the room occupied by the Baggage Master & S.R.C. Prof, so in this case we have two-female crew berthed in a room close to those of several male crew.

My understanding is that there were "2" or "3" stewardesses in each room. The rooms on A-deck forward; B-deck main section; C-deck forward; D-deck forward and E-deck forward seem to be two small to have held "3", so subject to what Hildo said about the room on E-deck; I'm guessing "2" each. The room on C-deck aft [near the Surgery] is labelled "3". That gives a provisional figure of "5x2+3 = 13". - However, it may be that there was only "1" stewardess on A-deck
The other room on C-deck main section [near the Ladies bathrooms] seems in the Shipbuilder to be labelled Mess Steward [but in Victualling I am not aware of such a position (?)]; however on the large C-deck plans it says Stewardess. - Eaton & Haas seem to have ST RM [whatever that stands for?] - while the Harland & Wolff plans have an abbreviation that I read as Stew .. - So 3 [perhaps only "2" in view of the possibility of "3" on E-deck[?]; but still perhaps "3" having regard to A-deck] stewardesses. That is still "1" short of the "17" who are listed as 1st Class. stewardesses.

Thanks to a post from Bob [ 8 December 2003] we know that Katherine Walsh [who is listed as 1st Class] shared a cabin on E deck with 2nd Class stewardess Lucy Snape. A room against the No 4 Hatch on E-deck and just forward of E-99 is labelled Stewardesses. Since the room seems to be large enough for "3" [unless another room can be located for her] with Bob [he wrote "I've read that Mrs Wallis had her own cabin elsewhere on E deck, but I think it possible that these three were room-mates."] - I guess Lucy Snape and Katherine Walsh shared that room with Matron Wallis.

Hope this helps.

Jul 20, 2000
Disappointingly in his CD Craig provides far less information as the where the stewardesses were berthed.

He does however clear up the issue of Mrs Wallis. She had her own room in 3rd Class section Q - E-deck. The room is at the after end of the ship inboard of room 165 just near the main 3rd Class stairs. - This helps to expain why many regard Mrs Wallis as being "3rd Class" crew.

Jul 20, 2000
Hello Bob,

Sorry I see I doubled up on what you had already said; "1 attendant and 1 masseuse (for ladies only) for the Turkish bath - they shared a cabin on F deck near their place of work. There were several other small crew cabins in that location, all occupied by men (like the male masseur and bath attendant). That's the closest that any of the female crew members got to their male counterparts in terms of sleeping locations."
about the female Turkish Bath staff.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
No worries, Lester. :) Now, about that room that the Matron supposedly used. As you know, I had doubts about that but I couldn't remember quite why until I checked my notes. The Eaton & Haas plans have a smudged label in which only the first three letters MAT (as in Matron) are legible. I have a note with the alternative suggestion 'Mattress Store', but where that came from I cannot recall. I believe you have the new TRMA plans - would you mind please checking those so I can be 100% sure that there were no mattresses in there other than the one Mrs W was sleeping on!

Jul 20, 2000
Hello Bob,

Horrid thought, but she might still be there!

Even more horrid thought; I hope she did not convince any of the 3rd Class W&C to return to their rooms.

Hitch

Feb 4, 2004
Thanks everyone.

So stewardesses had a separate small cabin next to the cabin of the family they work for? Am I right?
If so, can anyone tell me how big a cabin on C-deck for stewardesses was?
Thank you so much..

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
No passenger or family had their own private stewardess. Each worked a 'section' of several cabins and served all the women passengers in that section - around 6-10 - which might include some maids and governesses as well as 'ladies'. The stewardess cabins were located in the same general areas as those of the passengers they served, but in the least favoured locations like next to a toilet block or a noisy stairway. These cabins were smaller than the passenger cabins and less well furnished. They generally contained one set of bunks (upper and lower), a sofa (which maybe could have been used as an extra berth if needed), a washstand and one or two small wardrobes. That didn't leave much empty floor space.

Jul 20, 2000
Carl,

Try this link: http://www.finalsolutions.net/TitanicPlans.html
It will show you where the 1st Class stewardesses rooms were on A to D decks. Generally near the Ladies bathrooms, with one larger room near the Surgery aft on C-deck. - There was 1 room on A, B and D decks and 3 on C-deck. - The one in the main section of C-deck has mistakenly been labelled a Store Room. For E-deck see the deck plans on this web-site. The Restaurant Cashiers had a tiny room opposite E-27. - Ldy Clk.
The 2nd Class stewardesses room is the room between E-98 and E-99.
Matron had the little room inboard of cabin 165. - What deck plans do you have access to?

Jul 20, 2000
Hello Mauro,

There was a recent post on the subject of which cabins the stewardesses occupied. It seems that Violet Jessop was in one of the three on C-deck. - She shared a room with Mrs Leather.

For the location of the three stewardesses rooms use this link: http://www.finalsolutions.net/TitanicPlans.html
The 2nd room, the one in the main section of C-deck has mistakenly been labelled a Store Room.

The forward room was near the Ladies bathrooms just forward of the Grand Staircase. The 2nd room was near the Ladies bathrooms just aft of the 2nd Boiler Uptake Casing. The 3rd stewardesses room was just forward of the Ladies bathrooms near the Surgery. - You need to click onto the rooms to identify them. Use the bathrooms to help you.

I hope that helps,
Lester