Did the stewards and stewardesses sleep together?

J

Joseph Kendrick

- Mrs. Gold was on B-deck, with Mrs Martin.
- Mrs. Leather was on C-deck with Miss Jessop
- Miss Sloan was on C-deck too, with Miss Marsden.
- Miss Prichard was on D-deck. She shared her cabin with Miss Smith. So I think we can put Miss Smith on D-deck too.
- Mrs. Robinson was on E-deck, with two others. Possibly, Miss Lavington and Mrs. Bliss.
- Miss Stap may have worked on A-deck.

- The cashiers, Miss Martin and Miss Bowker shared a cabin on E-deck.

Mrs. Slocombe and Miss Caton shared a cabin

No passenger or family had their own private stewardess. Each worked a 'section' of several cabins and served all the women passengers in that section - around 6-10 - which might include some maids and governesses as well as 'ladies'. The stewardess cabins were located in the same general areas as those of the passengers they served, but in the least favoured locations like next to a toilet block or a noisy stairway. These cabins were smaller than the passenger cabins and less well furnished. They generally contained one set of bunks (upper and lower), a sofa (which maybe could have been used as an extra berth if needed), a washstand and one or two small wardrobes. That didn't leave much empty floor space.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Joseph, welcome to ET. Excellent last paragraph there - I couldn't have put it better myself. I look forward to reading your own thoughts about Titanic, but I don't need to be reminded of my own.

Feb 21, 2013
Lloret de Mar, Gerona (Spain)
I'd edit my message above, but it seems you can only do that in the hour after the message is published. So I have to write another post. I also wanted to link this to this other thread where we were talking about the Stewardesses' cabins: 2nd Class Stewardesses how many is enough.

So putting together Joseph's list, with the available cabins, we should have:
A Deck: Miss Stap
B Deck: Mrs Gold & Mrs Martin
C Deck: Mrs Leather & Miss Jessop; Miss Sloan & Miss Marsden; remains a cabin that we don't know who occupied
D Deck: Miss Prichard & Miss Smith
E Deck: Mrs Robinson, Miss Lavington & Mrs Bliss

There are fours stewardesses who remain unaccounted for in the First Class: Mrs Bennett, Miss Gregson, Mrs McLaren, Mrs Roberts.
For the Second Class, Mrs Snape & Miss Walsh.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Ana, neither Lester nor I would claim credit for 'Joseph's list'. Joseph copied it from one of Lester's postings, but Lester had given credit as the source to Hildo Thiel, who in turn gave credit to Craig Stringer for supplying the information. Hope that makes sense!

Matteo Eyre

Feb 7, 2013
I know she wasn't a stewardess but the room that had unknown occupants as mentioned in Ana's post, could this have been occupied by Matron Catherine Jane Wallis?? If not where could she have stayed
Thanks Guys
Matteo :)

Feb 21, 2013
Lloret de Mar, Gerona (Spain)
No, the matron had her own cabin among the Third Class Cabins, near the stern, on the lower decks... Unfortunately the link I used to Bruce Beveridge's plans is broken, so I cannot point it more clearly to you. I'm sure some other forum member who has the plans at hand can do that.

Matteo Eyre

Feb 7, 2013
I keep not noticing that someone has already asked or answered the question i asked, as i have done here, i was wondering if anyone knew the deck or allocations of the Galley Crew, guess i should post this on a different thread it just seems to have come up as i've typed this
Cheers
Matteo :)