Did the stewards and stewardesses sleep together?

L

Lester Mitcham

Hello Bob,

Sorry I see I doubled up on what you had already said; "1 attendant and 1 masseuse (for ladies only) for the Turkish bath - they shared a cabin on F deck near their place of work. There were several other small crew cabins in that location, all occupied by men (like the male masseur and bath attendant). That's the closest that any of the female crew members got to their male counterparts in terms of sleeping locations."
about the female Turkish Bath staff.

B

Bob Godfrey

No worries, Lester. :) Now, about that room that the Matron supposedly used. As you know, I had doubts about that but I couldn't remember quite why until I checked my notes. The Eaton & Haas plans have a smudged label in which only the first three letters MAT (as in Matron) are legible. I have a note with the alternative suggestion 'Mattress Store', but where that came from I cannot recall. I believe you have the new TRMA plans - would you mind please checking those so I can be 100% sure that there were no mattresses in there other than the one Mrs W was sleeping on!

L

Lester Mitcham

Hello Bob,

Yes I do have the TRMA plans and the room inboard of 165 reads: Matron

Regards,
Lester

L

Lester Mitcham

Hello Bob,

Horrid thought, but she might still be there!

Even more horrid thought; I hope she did not convince any of the 3rd Class W&C to return to their rooms.

Hitch

Hitch

Thanks everyone.

So stewardesses had a separate small cabin next to the cabin of the family they work for? Am I right?
If so, can anyone tell me how big a cabin on C-deck for stewardesses was?
Thank you so much..

B

Bob Godfrey

No passenger or family had their own private stewardess. Each worked a 'section' of several cabins and served all the women passengers in that section - around 6-10 - which might include some maids and governesses as well as 'ladies'. The stewardess cabins were located in the same general areas as those of the passengers they served, but in the least favoured locations like next to a toilet block or a noisy stairway. These cabins were smaller than the passenger cabins and less well furnished. They generally contained one set of bunks (upper and lower), a sofa (which maybe could have been used as an extra berth if needed), a washstand and one or two small wardrobes. That didn't leave much empty floor space.

L

Lester Mitcham

Carl,

Try this link: http://www.finalsolutions.net/TitanicPlans.html
It will show you where the 1st Class stewardesses rooms were on A to D decks. Generally near the Ladies bathrooms, with one larger room near the Surgery aft on C-deck. - There was 1 room on A, B and D decks and 3 on C-deck. - The one in the main section of C-deck has mistakenly been labelled a Store Room. For E-deck see the deck plans on this web-site. The Restaurant Cashiers had a tiny room opposite E-27. - Ldy Clk.
The 2nd Class stewardesses room is the room between E-98 and E-99.
Matron had the little room inboard of cabin 165. - What deck plans do you have access to?

M

Mauro Zungri

Vioet Jessop like crew member who cabin I occupy? somebody save?
THANKS!
Sorry by my ingles
MAURO

L

Lester Mitcham

Hello Mauro,

There was a recent post on the subject of which cabins the stewardesses occupied. It seems that Violet Jessop was in one of the three on C-deck. - She shared a room with Mrs Leather.

For the location of the three stewardesses rooms use this link: http://www.finalsolutions.net/TitanicPlans.html
The 2nd room, the one in the main section of C-deck has mistakenly been labelled a Store Room.

The forward room was near the Ladies bathrooms just forward of the Grand Staircase. The 2nd room was near the Ladies bathrooms just aft of the 2nd Boiler Uptake Casing. The 3rd stewardesses room was just forward of the Ladies bathrooms near the Surgery. - You need to click onto the rooms to identify them. Use the bathrooms to help you.

I hope that helps,
Lester

J

Joseph Kendrick

- Mrs. Gold was on B-deck, with Mrs Martin.
- Mrs. Leather was on C-deck with Miss Jessop
- Miss Sloan was on C-deck too, with Miss Marsden.
- Miss Prichard was on D-deck. She shared her cabin with Miss Smith. So I think we can put Miss Smith on D-deck too.
- Mrs. Robinson was on E-deck, with two others. Possibly, Miss Lavington and Mrs. Bliss.
- Miss Stap may have worked on A-deck.

- The cashiers, Miss Martin and Miss Bowker shared a cabin on E-deck.

Mrs. Slocombe and Miss Caton shared a cabin

No passenger or family had their own private stewardess. Each worked a 'section' of several cabins and served all the women passengers in that section - around 6-10 - which might include some maids and governesses as well as 'ladies'. The stewardess cabins were located in the same general areas as those of the passengers they served, but in the least favoured locations like next to a toilet block or a noisy stairway. These cabins were smaller than the passenger cabins and less well furnished. They generally contained one set of bunks (upper and lower), a sofa (which maybe could have been used as an extra berth if needed), a washstand and one or two small wardrobes. That didn't leave much empty floor space.

B

Bob Godfrey

Joseph, welcome to ET. Excellent last paragraph there - I couldn't have put it better myself. I look forward to reading your own thoughts about Titanic, but I don't need to be reminded of my own.

Ana Florencia Pinton

Ana Florencia Pinton

Hi Bob, seems I have finally found the stewardesses' cabins you were talking about some days ago :) Good job Joseph in writing them all down!

Ana Florencia Pinton

Ana Florencia Pinton

I'd edit my message above, but it seems you can only do that in the hour after the message is published. So I have to write another post. I also wanted to link this to this other thread where we were talking about the Stewardesses' cabins: 2nd Class Stewardesses how many is enough.

So putting together Joseph's list, with the available cabins, we should have:
A Deck: Miss Stap
B Deck: Mrs Gold & Mrs Martin
C Deck: Mrs Leather & Miss Jessop; Miss Sloan & Miss Marsden; remains a cabin that we don't know who occupied
D Deck: Miss Prichard & Miss Smith
E Deck: Mrs Robinson, Miss Lavington & Mrs Bliss

There are fours stewardesses who remain unaccounted for in the First Class: Mrs Bennett, Miss Gregson, Mrs McLaren, Mrs Roberts.
For the Second Class, Mrs Snape & Miss Walsh.