Did this make it off the ship?

Ben Heath

Feb 20, 2019
Hello.

I have a wanted luggage label filled in by a passenger (survivor) of the Titanic, Miss Ed Appleton.

Acompnying the label is a picture, lock of hair and a half penny.

My understanding is that these labels were afixed to luggage that was needed on the crossing? I thought that only one piece of luggage was documented leaving the ship (please correct me if I'm wrong)!?

I have no idea of its provenance.

My Dad picked up a box of 'frames and stuff' from an auction a few years ago. This was in amongst them. Just found it when moving my parents into a new home.

If anyone could enlighten me further on the matter I would be most grateful.

B

Attachments

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
That looks to be self made. The original ones look different and were mainly written by hand.

There is the claim that one passenger had taken her luggage with her but the story is not true.

Ben Heath

Feb 20, 2019
Thanks. Can't find a similar one either. Just a strange thing to come across.

I knew a male passenger did depart with luggage but hadnt heard the story of any others.

Thanks.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I suspect it's from one of the collections of replica documents sold at around the time of Cameron's flick. The printing of the ship's name and the date of the voyage looks modern. The original would have been made by a rubber stamp at best.

There are oodles of such things around. Some were made for role-playing restaurants in which customers dressed in period clothes and played the parts of passengers or crew. Sometimes at the end they learned whether their character lived or died.