Difficulties with societies

• Thread starter Anthony Cunningham
  • Start date
Mike Poirier

Mike Poirier

Hi Sharon
Dave Hill from BTS is working on the rough conversions as we speak, but as Mark pointed out, the converter is best, even though it may change, so will the rough conversions Dave will give. All TIS members should have this info by the next issue of Voyage. Thanks for being patient.
Mike
TIS Member Activities

P

Paul Wilkinson

Hi Sharon,

Ever seen Fawlty Towers?

Mr Hamilton: "What a drive ... took 5 hours from London, couldn’t find the freeway, had to take a back street called the M5..."
Basil: "Sorry if it wasn't wide enough for you sir, a lot of the English cars have steering wheels!"
Mr Hamilton: "They do, do they? You wouldn't think there was room for them inside!"

We're not that backward over here, we have running water and electricity an' all. You might even find some of the food (even chicken) edible.

:)

Cheers

Paul

S

sharon rutman

Michael: thanks, but as you will discover patience is not exactly my strong point. Paul--I've heard of Fawlty Towers but haven't had a chance to see it.

P

Paul Lee

Its all right, as long as you don't mention the war (I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it)

Mark Chirnside

Mark Chirnside

Hi Paul, Paul,

(Wow -- 'Paul' almost has the 'Mark' problem. There are many of them about.
Smile
)

I do love that TV show -- I have the 12 episodes on DVD. The crude stereotypes -- from the apparent awkwardness of the American visitor to the explanation offered whenever Manuel the Spanish waiter does something wrong ('He's from Barcelona...' as if that explains it.) Every age, sex and nationality suffer: the apparently randy French lady who drinks too much; the 'deaf' old lady and her awkwardness; Sybill's exaggerated female habits; the gentlemen guests -- blowing up sex dolls or sneaking girls back at night. Polly...well, she seems quite normal I guess. Basil is a hideous character, yet somehow you sometimes find a degree of sympathy with him!

Best wishes,

Mark.

Mark Chirnside

Mark Chirnside

Hi Sharon,

quote:

as you will discover patience is not exactly my strong point.

While I don't wish to sound combative, I trust you'll forgive me saying that gratitude does not seem to be your strong point either. I won't pretend posting the urls for the online currency converters was a massive chore, but it did take a few minutes to search and try and find the most accurate and best ones for you. I was under no obligation to spend that time, yet did it out of a desire to help. In return, you said that they were not helpful as currency rates change minute-to-minute (as they do), yet surely that's something you would have known all along? You did not mention a word of thanks when I tried to help answer your query, indeed your statement that it was not 'helpful' seemed dismissive and ungrateful. Had I been in that situation, the least I would have done is thanked someone who had taken the time to try and help me. As I have said, I am sorry you did not find them helpful, yet it seems to be the height of rudeness to ignore my reply to you. You thanked Michael, and addressed both him and Paul in your subsequent post, yet it seems unfortunate that you didn't see fit to extend that courtesy to me.

Regards,

Mark.​

Mark Chirnside

Mark Chirnside

Hi Mark,

Just kidding, you know.
Wink

When I was at school, there were at one point four Marks in a class of about twenty-five. Rather confusing for everyone. Strangely enough, at university there were lots of Matthews instead and I didn't come across another Mark. Back at school, none of us used our real names! Then again, I prefer the name over nearly any other I can think of.

Best wishes,

Mark.

P

Paul Wilkinson

Hi Mark C,

I sympathise - in my first year in infant's school, no less than five Pauls (me included) in my class!

Cheers

Paul

Mike Poirier

Mike Poirier

Hi Sharon,
I promise as soon as I get the final details, I will post them immediately to this list so you do not have to wait for Voyage. I am just waiting for Dave Hill of BTS to send the particulars. Shouldn't be too much longer. Like you, I am very anxious.
Mike

B

Brian Ahern

I was living in the UK for 2 years before I came across another Brian in my age bracket. It's a name for 70-year-olds over there (actually, Lightoller had a son named Brian). A couple of friends burst out laughing when I mentioned this, telling me they had never wanted to say anything to me about my funny, old-sounding name.

In the States on the other hand, if I would hear somebody shouting 'Brian' on my college campus, I wouldn't even bother turning around, since odds were they were addressing one of the other thousand Brians on the campus.

And I LOVE Fawlty Towers too! It's been on quite a bit in the US over the years and my local library has it on DVD.

T

Timothy Trower

Sharon,

Mark Chirnside's comments were proper and right. Please don't try to stir something more up.

Tim

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Oh brother--here's another problem with societies-and websites--ego.<<

That's a problem with humanity overall, not any particular society. If you don't like what you see with any particular group or society, you always have the option of voting with your feet.