Dining Saloon Model

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Hey, it's been a while. I've been tinkering around with my old Punch Pro home program again, and after finding some nice 3D reproductions of columns and such online, I decided to try making the Dining Saloon. It's far from the perfection I'm hoping to gain, but in a way it's reminescent of the real thing. Anywho, I attached the link to a rendering. I'd like to thank Daniel for providing me with the floor tile pattern that was created by Mr. Stephenson.
happy.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/scboi03/DiningSaloon.jpg

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Thanks, Nigel. Daniel is adivising me on the design so I can make changes and such. As for the tiles, I just took the image file and turned it into a texture. Whenever I rendered it into 3D to do all the colors, I just "painted" the floor with it so it really wasn't all that complicated.

Here's an updated pic minus the lights, furniture, and other accessories. I'm not expecting find any perfect 3D models representing the decorations and I'm certainly not capable of designing such a thing but it's more practice. I'm hoping to maybe do an actual wooden model of this over the summer. I think I'd have better luck carving the paneling out of wood than trying to do it via a touchpad on a laptop. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/scboi03/DiningSaloon2.jpg

Mar 3, 1998
Tripp,

A warning about the image of mine that Daniel gave you...I created that image before I had access to the real tile. I found by examining a recovered tile that my dimensions and colour were a bit off. I tried to make the central pattern exactly square when in fact it is not. Also, the colours in my first attempt are a bit too bright. I can send you a corrected version of the Dining Saloon tile after I get around to making the corrections. Now that I have a better understanding of the art of CGI, I can also create a bump map for you to use with the tiles, so that the floor doesn't look artifically featureless.

Parks

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Wow, thanks Mr. Stephenson. I didn't realize there was a difference dimension wise from what is in the black and white Dining Saloon images. I've been sitting up tinkering around with the room a bit, I've started working on the alcove tables and doing some scratch made paneling to replace the awful one that comes with my program. I'll do another update tomorrow when I've had more time to work on it.

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
On a sidenote, I decided to take a short break from the Dining Saloon model to try and practice my skills some more. As a result of that practice, and some prebuilt files I found on punch-alternatives.com I was able to make a rough draft of the Grand Staircase. I don't know how much further I'll go with it, as I'm trying to do the Dining Saloon, but it got me excited so I decided to share it with you all. Enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/scboi03/GrandStaircase.jpg

Dec 7, 2000
Parks,

Thank you for popping in! I remember you said something about colours, so I wasn't sure how updated your tile was on your site!

I tried to e-mail you, but I couldn't get through for some reason. My e-mail was returned (this was about a month ago). Was there a problem with your account. Should I try your address again that's in your profile?

Regards,

Daniel.

Mar 3, 1998
Daniel,

I'm not aware of any problems with the account. There was a short period when I transitioned to a new computer (the dual-processor G5 Power Mac rocks!), though, so maybe that was the problem. Please try again.

Tripp,

Please call me Parks. I appreciate the respect that you have shown me, but I think we're at a point now where we can address one another more familiarly.

Parks

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Hi Tripp. I'm glad you're still doing your modelling, I haven't done any for ages but hopefully will get to do more in a month or so. I made a wood model of a section of the dining Room a couple of years ago. I'll post a piccy of it or send you one. I'm not happy with the model as I got the scale a bit out of whack somehow and the chairs are a fraction too big...oh well!

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Thanks Damon. I'd certainly like to see your model. I don't think I'm going to pursue the Grand Staircase again until I've gained some more skills with this program. I was beginning to think it would be impossible to do things like this with Punch! but I found a website that shows me how to do stuff so I'm learning quite a bit.
happy.gif
Anywho I'm off to an interview, I'll ttyl. Adios!

Apr 22, 2012
I've never saw anyone model the first class dining saloon. Awesome idea. It's going to look fantastic when you complete it. Good luck with this great (although time-consuming) hobby.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi All!

It's been some time since I've posted due to both medical and personal reasons, but I'm back!

I've created a rendering to demonstrate the full opulence of the First Class Dining Saloon
proud.gif

(as usual the clarity and detail is lost due to the huge reduction I made to post this)

94559.jpg

Best Regards,

Brian

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Sorry for the short hiatus, I've been practicing creating different objects and such and I'm thinking about taking on the caryatids next. I just wanted to do a quick update on the ceiling. I've spent about 3-4 hours tonight working on the ceiling pattern and I'm pleased to announce that I've come up with a basic outline of the pattern. I've attached an image of it. Right now it's in wire-frame mode, but as soon as I finish extruding the edges and such I'll post a color render of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/scboi03/SaloonCeiling.jpg

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Sorry for the late reply, Brandon. I've been consumed in mass amounts of homework and drama this week :p. I've yet again had to pause working on the model because of the before mentioned. With about 5 weeks left in the semester it looks like things are going to start getting busy so I may not be able to mess with it much until May. I'll keep everyone posted though. Thanks
happy.gif

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
ok so stupid me I've been in such a rush lately to write papers for classes that I decided to eat dinner while I wrote a paper friday night and well needless to say I spilled sweet tea onto my laptop and my most prized posession is now an expensive to repair piece of rubbish. Best Buy said my designs should be safe, but now that I have no computer to work on them with nor the money to repair my computer, I can't do anymore designs
sad.gif