Distance to the Iceberg when sighted, and questions about the lookouts.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Try to lower your stress a bit? (I don't know, my "People Skills" aren't that good)
Thanks but I have no stress at all. ;)

We aren't all going to be right, we are dealing with a disaster that happened 107 and a half years ago.
There is a difference between parts we know for sure, where we can say "it is right" and things which do not know and are discussing. However happy discussion!

R.M.S TITANIC

Mar 7, 2016
Ahh, okay.
(Was watching a video that popped up in my recommended section; the video subject was that an Iceberg didn't sink the Titanic but it was the fire in the coal bunkers... but that's not the topic for this thread).
Is that a cover on the railings at the very front of the bow?

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Ahh, okay.
(Was watching a video that popped up in my recommended section; the video subject was that an Iceberg didn't sink the Titanic but it was the fire in the coal bunkers... but that's not the topic for this thread).
Is that a cover on the railings at the very front of the bow?
I wouldn't waste your time with that stuff.

It's been proven beyond all doubt to be complete and utter bilge.

Full story here

and here

Seumas

Mar 25, 2019
Glasgow, Scotland
Nae danger mate ;)

I urge everyone to catch my upcoming new documentary and book based upon evidence which I uncovered in my Grannie's garden shed which proves that RMS Titanic was fatally rammed by one of the Kaiser's warships disguised as an iceberg.

I'm going to make thousands from suckers !

(On a serious note, I'm afraid that there are some sad individuals out there who would readily believe nonsense like that)

Reactions: 1 users

R.M.S TITANIC

Mar 7, 2016
Oh believe me. I will watch it if I can.
(Seriously, people will buy conspiracy theories, and we should get back on topic.)

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Once again wrong, the officers top cap was blue, not white.
Search for the high quality version for yourself Jim Currie, I am not your picture library only to get the usual reply by someone who was not there, severd many years later and is ruling the thread as if he knew what in 1912 was even photographs and evidence under oath from survivors who were there show opposite. As for now, 6 pages and most of what Jim Currie have claimed have turned out to be wrong.
At least 2 of you fell for that one. Give me a break...I know full well cap cover protocols followed right up until the late 50's and after. Have had them enforced upon me and enforced them in turn. Do you?
Here is a reminder which you completely forgot about in your anxiety to indulge semantics.
titanic_lastphoto.jpg

Now here is how three men in the nest when passing the crowd should have looked like. Oh! and by the way, in the photograph of the "door" you posted Ioannis, please explain how the outline of the "doorway" extended beyond the outline of the forward edge of the mainmast.
Three men in the nest.jpg

Now you geniuses tell the rest of us why we did not see the above or something similar when Titanic was passing that crowd.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
At least 2 of you fell for that one. Give me a break...I know full well cap cover protocols followed right up until the late 50's and after. Have had them enforced upon me and enforced them in turn. Do you?
Here is a reminder which you completely forgot about in your anxiety to indulge semantics.
View attachment 45157
And? It is not white as you have claimed in post #113

two men with other ranks sailor hats and an officer with a white top cap in the area of the nest.
I know the White Star rules for uniforms back in 1912 and they were different from the ones Curnard had and a lot more different from what was up in the 1950s. So please spare us from your experience 40 years later.

Oh! and by the way, in the photograph of the "door" you posted Ioannis, please explain how the outline of the "doorway" extended beyond the outline of the forward edge of the mainmast.
There is no "door" that is a person. But feel free to see whatever you want...

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
When attempting to establish something with photos one should always use the best photos available taken from angles which most clearly show the object(s) in question. The photo reproduction (colorized no less) offered by Jim Curie is nearly the poorest one could select to illustrate anything about the crow’s nest and who may have been in the nest. This quality of photo is is often used to try to prove something through the use of an active imagination. To those who know Titanic (this would exclude Jim) I would encourage you not to engage him on the terms he sets up. Maybe better, just don’t engage in any discussion with him at all, especially where Titanic is concerned because he has abundantly proven his lack of knowledge of Titanic.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
And? It is not white as you have claimed in post #113

I know the White Star rules for uniforms back in 1912 and they were different from the ones Curnard had and a lot more different from what was up in the 1950s. So please spare us from your experience 40 years later.

There is no "door" that is a person. But feel free to see whatever you want...
:D:D:D:D:D:D That "person"....was he a boxer"? Or perhaps had classic, angular features? You still avoid answering the question regarding the missing men in the nest.

By the way, it must have been snowing heavily when the following photograph was taken:
Olympic-William-Murdoch-left-Capt-Smith.jpg

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
You still avoid answering the question regarding the missing men in the nest.
Actually I have no interest in discussing any photographs with you.

By the way, it must have been snowing heavily when the following photograph was taken:
View attachment 45161
Oh wonderful, photographs in post #129 show Lightoller and Murdoch at the E-Deck Gangway door in Queenstown April 11th 1912.
This photo now shows some of the officers (sure Jim Currie can name them) on Olympic at Belfast, end of May 1911.

Wait, what was said in post #129?

I know full well cap cover protocols followed right up until the late 50's and after. Have had them enforced upon me and enforced them in turn. Do you?
:rolleyes:

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
[
Some topics may come back when we get new information though, and that's okay. I do get the same topics getting repeated over and over again getting boring.
They are only boring if a contributor becomes entrenched in a pre-conceived notion and refuses to respond to dissection or criticism of that notion.

R.M.S TITANIC

Mar 7, 2016
They are only boring if a contributor becomes entrenched in a pre-conceived notion and refuses to respond to dissection or criticism of that notion.
I get it, I wasn't aware this was a really controversial topic.
Calm down. Have a panda. f4e875a8-1ee6-11e9-9b66-f8d7b487d426_image_hires_010852.jpg
Anyway, that "Door", I could say that it's open, but the hole in the mast leading to the ladder is not square.

While on the topic of the caps; here's a photo of Lightoller I found dated to be around 1920.
220px-CharlesHLightoller.jpg

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
When it's stored and not in use. I'm assuming it can always be pulled in front. Not to mention even if the screen wasn't designed to do that, aren't there places where rain water can drain from the ship?

So... like this?
Hi RMST!

Normally, a "container" (for that is what it really is) like the Crow' s nest would have drain holes in the very bottom above a teak wood standing platform for the lookouts. These would allow rain water to drain away. However, when a ship is butting into a 50 feet high sea in a gale. the heavy spray will rise well above the nest and even the masthead light. At such times, the nest is overwhelmed. The doorway would not have reached down to the deck but would have had a high sill. Such conditions were the norm in the N Atlantic...particularly in winter. Also...imagine Monsoon-type rain being driven into the faces of the lookouts.
The canvas screen would have been made from duck canvas and in the case of Titanic, fitted with eyelets along the top. They would be
stretched curtain-like across the back of the nest and cold be raised or slid back. They were designed to be easily removed as can be sen in the following photograph.
alongside.jpg

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
Jim: your lack of Titanic knowledge is once again in evidence. This photo was taken during a press tour around 10:30 am on April 10, 1912 by a photographer from Illustrations Bureau. Leaves and plant trimmings can be seen on deck at his feet. These were from palms and other greenery set there by florists the previous night prior to distributing them throughout the public rooms of the ship. You need to just stick to seamanship. You are out of your depth with Titanic history.

george harris

May 11, 2018
One benefit of this continually sniping back and forth is that we learn interesting little pieces of information. Like where the leaves came from at Captain Smith's feet. :)

Reactions: 1 user