Distance to the Iceberg when sighted, and questions about the lookouts.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Jim: your lack of Titanic knowledge is once again in evidence. This photo was taken during a press tour around 10:30 am on April 10, 1912 by a photographer from Illustrations Bureau. Leaves and plant trimmings can be seen on deck at his feet. These were from palms and other greenery set there by florists the previous night prior to distributing them throughout the public rooms of the ship. You need to just stick to seamanship. You are out of your depth with Titanic history.
Thank you for that earth-shattering revelation, Bob. It "leaves" me breathless at the breadth of your Titanic knowledge. I'ts a great pity that you couldn't explain the missing men in the nest.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
"PS. The ship did not commence her service until the passengers began to board. But then you knew that too.
Snipe-nipe-snipe..."
The photo of Captain Smith was taken at 10:30. Passengers began boarding at 10:00 am. When the hole you are digging for yourself keeps getting deeper, put down the shovel.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
They are only boring if a contributor becomes entrenched in a pre-conceived notion and refuses to respond to dissection or criticism of that notion.
We know, don't we Jim?

As George Harris wrote in post #140, some us can learn interesting little pieces of information in all of this, like why there were leaves at Smith's feet at 10:30am on departure day. What any of that has to do with the distance to iceberg is obviously irrelevant, but interesting in itself none the less.
So what is he holding in his left hand? A pair of Gloves? And where does that port hole behind his left foot lead too? Ioannis, Bob, anyone?

Reactions: Ioannis Georgiou
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
So what is he holding in his left hand? A pair of Gloves? And where does that port hole behind his left foot lead too? Ioannis, Bob, anyone?
Yes it is a pair of gloves. It is better visible at the photos taken a few feet forward outside the Navigation Bridge on the port side.

The port hole at the bottom is a skid light which would provide light to the cabin on A Deck. As we see they are round while on Olympic they were elliptical.

Reactions: Samuel Halpern
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I see Bob already gave the answer to the port hole question.

However for those interested here is the other photograph showing Captain Smith outside the Navigation Bridge of Titanic by the photographer of Newspaper Illustration Ltd.
In the enlargement the gloves are visible.
E.J.S. Glove Titanic Bridge.jpg

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Seeing the photo of Smith with his gloves. On the right hand side on the floor. Can one tell me what it is? As it looks like lose rubbish?
Not one would expect to see on a brand new ship.

R.M.S TITANIC

Mar 7, 2016
It's possible they didn't realize it until after taking the photo. Not to mention, if they did take notice of it an were trying to make sure the photo looked good, they would of cleaned the area around the captain. I can see some dust / dirt on the walls of the bridge.

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
This was in the officers’ promenade area. The Captain was no doubt more concerned that everything was as it should be in the passenger areas than in making a scene because he had a little foliage underfoot which would shortly be cleaned up.