Distinguished Liners from The Shipbuilder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Not strictly a Titanic book, but a very fine collection. I found this two volume set in our State Library. It was compiled by Mark W Warren and published in 1995/97 by Blue Ribband Publications of New York. It consists of reprints from The Shipbuilder, complete with advertisements.

It covers the years just before 1914, so we get the Olympic ships, plus the Cunarders and the big Germans. Many less famous ships are included in a good deal of detail. I've no idea of its availability. If you can find them, buy them!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Not strictly a Titanic book, but a very fine collection.<<

I agree. I have this set myself having bought it four years ago. I don't know if it's still in print or not but if it isn't and the second hand shop has it, snap it up!

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Here is a website to order the two books:
http://www.shipbuilderbooks.com/order.htm.
The website is apparently operated by Mark Warren, the author of the two Shipbuilder books.
I purchased my copies at the THS Convention in 1997, when Mark's company, Blue Riband Publications, was one of the Exhibitors on the Queen Mary.

I don't know how many copies are available, though, nor am I aware of how old the listed website is. I last remember Blue Riband Publications at the 1998 THS Convention. After that, Blue Riband no longer came to the THS Conventions.

Apr 20, 2004
I'm looking for Mark D. Warren's "Distinguished Liners from Shipbuilder" Vols: 1 & 2"

There was a thread posted some time ago at ET that gave the address:

www.shipbuilderbooks.com

Are these books still available from there? It would seem so, but I sent a email a while ago and as yet have received no reply. Should I enquire by writing? Is this Mark D. Warren's own site?

Many thanks

Oct 13, 2000
Hi Jason,
Since I saw your post on TT, I have been doing some research on my own as I have been in contact with Mark from time to time. Thus far he has not returned my queries either. I do know that about a year ago he was interested in divesting himself of the rest of his stock of the Shipbuilder books. Would have loved to buy him out, but didn't have the funds at the time.

If I hear anything further, I will let you know.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

p.s. There are copies second hand on the used book sites, but you are going to pay a premium for them.

Apr 20, 2004
Hi Michael

Thanks for that information. I only found out about this site recently, and was surprised to see such low prices on those books. So far, searches I've undertaken have revealed 2nd hand copies selling for $150 each, which is a bit pricy.

I'd much prefer to get them directly from the author, however. If you do hear anything then it would be great if you got in touch. Thanks!

Best,

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I got mine directly from the author. For a time, these books were offered by Amazon.com, but Mark told me that they had a funny habit of excluding certain papers and inserts that he would send along and he wasn't too thrilled with that. Since he may not be doing business anymore, you're best bet may be to search through the used book networks to see if somewbody has either or both volumns.

Snap the set up if you can. They're worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.