Diving the RMS Titanic

Frank McElroy

Dec 31, 2003
Hi Everyone,
Just received this from a friend of mine from the "Orlando Titanic Museum" in Florida

Frank,
I've been bursting at the seams to tell you and the world about this and now I
can. Some of the staff of Titanic: The Exhibition in Orlando, FL
(including yours truly and my husband) will be departing Newfoundland
aboard the Russian R/V Akademik Mstislav Keldysh at the end of this
month and spending the following two weeks diving the RMS Titanic!
That's right! August 1st to the 11th, 2005 we'll be out there diving the ship
which we honor every day at our museum at the Mercado in Orlando.
We're hoping to get lots of photos and video as well as set a world
record. That world record is for the youngest person ever to dive to
2.5 miles. Be watching the news for this remarkable expedition
commemorating the summer of the 20th anniversary of the discovery of
Titanic!

Kelly Everitt

(Will pass on any more info as it comes)

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
Cool!
happy.gif
Ask your friend when this broadcast will be shown and all the best of luck diving the wreck. I hope there will be some photos to make a mosaic of the entire wreck, just the bow and stern sections. I'm curious to see visually the changes as the wreck collapses.

Frank McElroy

Dec 31, 2003
Mark,
They said it will be on Discovery Channel, July 24: called "Last Mysteries of the Titanic" it is going out LIVE!....

Nearly didn't send this, Linda (the wife)and myself were in London today, Visiting our daughter, we are OK. terrorist blew up a double decker bus just round the corner in Tavistock Square. they said about 20 people have died, and all London underground has stopped and all buses in central London have stopped. all mobile phone have stopped (we could not use ours due to no connections available in London - they came on about 1pm? (had to get a taxi home 57miles - cost me £85.

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
But Parks said this time it will be on the bow only. I'm curious to see the stern section, not just the same images of the engines and fantail, but everything else. Hopefully your friend can get some photos of the stern superstructure that Ken's report said collapsed down to D deck. There is no published mosaic of it so I was hoping someone would get photos of that area of the stern.

Yeah, it's all over the news now. The scary thing is with events like this is they can happen anywhere in the world. But the good news is these terrorists will get it in the end when they get caught, and they will.

Frank McElroy

Dec 31, 2003
Mark,

I remember seeing a published mosaic of the titanic, I think it was done by Robert Ballard last time he was diving on the wreck, “Yes” because that’s where I got the photo of the Officers Quarters as they are today. (it took me about two weeks to get permission to put it on Hugh’s web site. Will have a scout round and see if I can find it OK.

I've left a message to see if they can get any photo's....hope they can.

It’s one thing to see it on TV or hear about it, but to be there “YES” it’s a scary thing, first Twin Towers now London….who’s next, before it’s too late.

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
I meant the stern section.
happy.gif
I'd like to see more if the stern please, as no mosaic- save for the crappy 1998 version, was made.

Yep, and you forgot the Madrid incident- which is deja vu if you compare Madrid with London- train bombings.