DO YOU HAVE A TITANIC ROOM

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Not just a bookcase but an entire room.
When my oldest daughter moved out the wife allowed me squatters rights to the empty bedroom.
I moved my Academy model and bookcase of Titanic movies and books in there and set up shop.
Well, after about 6 to 8 months of working on the models completion, the wife noticed the walls filling up with nothing but Titanic related articles. She knew it was already much too late to ever reclaim the room. Friends and family all refer to it as "the Titanic room". They have even gone so far as to simply give me anything Titanic related they may have; books, movies, magazines, to build on the collection.
So maybe there are 2 questions in this.
Do you have "the room" ?
Do friends and family find and simply give you Titanic collectibles?
Just curious, Don
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A room? Well, in a manner of speaking, but it's really a library full of books, papers, and articles on the subject. (To say nothing of material on maritime and aviation history.) The model is in the closet but I've never had a chance to get around to building it. Since my work schedule may be changing in the near future, I may be able to remedy that.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I don't have a room since I live in a bachelor apartment, so my memorabilia is all over the place. I could easily fill one with all my stuff! One of my goals is to have one eventually though.

As far as getting Titanic collectibles, I've received some from family and friends, but not recently. They think if they buy something, I'll already have it!
happy.gif
So I've been buying items for myself lately.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
What started out as a spare room , with a few
Titanic collectibles, has been taken over completely,with Titanic items, books. My main focus, is Titanic antiquarian books,and I have managed to fill the entire wall book case with Titanic books.I do have many movies, and some great pictures, of Titanic personalities.
As to the second question, only a couple of my
friends , would understand my love for the Titanic
and Carpathia, and my best friend, unless she
could find antiquarian Titanic books, at a department store, she would not even know where
to look. (LOL) Great questions..... Patty

A

Alex McLean

I still live at home with my folks, but my room is slowly filling as I get rid of the old and make room for the new. I have an entire bookshelf though, and my cupboard/closet is filled with Titanic, shipping, and history based items. Eventually, I will have a room, but for the moment as long as I am under my parent's rule, it shant be happening. Maybe next year...
As for the question regarding whether friends give me related objects, yes it does happen. Even my teachers do it. From the school library, I have most of the Titanic books (a total of 5 ^_^ ). I am continaully borrowing them in the hope that they will just give me them in the end. It worked....

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
My entire house is a Titanic museum, as my daughter is quick to tell people. I guess only the bathrooms are free of Titanic memorabilia. My livingroom contains several shelves of books pertaining only to Titanic, fashions and architecture of the Gilded Age, and one about Edwardian cars. Then there is the cabinet containing four shelves of stuff like china, crystal, jewelry, toiletries, a Titanic shaped whiskey bottle, coal, buttons, postcards and other ephemera, and still another bookshelf topped with photographs of Titanic survivors. On the wall is a framed cutaway model, a Marschall print and a copy of the ticket contract.
Next is the dining room where you will find my Franklin Mint Rose doll dressed in one of twelve costumes (one for each month), a four foot model (seems longer) Steve Santini's break-away model, Polar the Titanic Bear (with book on stand), a 2' lifeboat model, bottles with labels for Titanic wine and champagne, dolls of Thomas Andrews and Capt. Smith, and a musical bank of the ship that has a formidable toot. Overhead the door into the kitchen is a saloon sign and on the wall next to it, a poster of a Titanic coffee advert.
In the hallway are various framed items including photographs, four newspapers, memorial posters, return voyage posters, metal signs, stock certificates, deck plans, telegrams, a burgee flag, poster of the wrecksite, 1953 movie poster, and more postcards. Even got sneaky and bought my daughter a few things such as a framed movie cell and Lenox Grand Staircase in spite of her pretense of disinterest. Then the remaining items such as additional models, posters I have no room to hang, games, and tapes of survivors, documentaries, etc. are in my room. So yeah, I guess you could say the whole apartment is a museum! And it grows whenever I have extra money to spare. (Donations gladly accepted, tax deductible now that I'm a non-profit!) LOL.

Kyrila

A

Alicia Windsor

Wow! Can't wait until I've got my own apartment. For now I have a very full shelf with my Titanic books and my mini Titanic Puzz 3D in my bedroom. And in my closet hangs my prom dress - a dress described as a "Titanic gown" on loralie.com! It's antique gold and black with butterflies on the bodice and it distinctly reminds me of Rose's kimono in the portrait scene. Lol.

As for my friends and family giving me Titanic stuff, I don't know. I usually find Titanic stuff on my own. But my dad took me to see Ghosts of the Abyss and my mom got me the Barbara Stanwyck/ Clifton Webb film for my graduation.

Re: Alex's post: Yeah, I take out all the Titanic books from my school library pretty often. But the librarian doesn't like me so she hasn't gotten the hint. Sigh. At least the library where I used to volunteer gave me an old copy of ANTR.

B

Brian Hawley

Closing on a new house in 2 weeks and it will have my first ever Titanic or rather liner room! Tenting my fingers and chuckling with excitement. : )

If I have the wall space (after I put in the books) I am going to try and put nothing but RMS Olympic advertising items on the walls of this room.

Brian

Steve Santini

Nov 29, 2000
Hi all,
You don't even want to begin to imagine the "Titanic stuff" lying around the house. Across the room right now is an authentic Titanic deck chair, recovered by the Minia. The rest of the place is filled with a number of Titanic / White Star items. Add to this my interest in collecting escapology/ Houdini items and you have a very serious problem. Oh well, at least I am glad that "Ship of Dreams, Titanic: The Exhibition" in Orlando was good enough to borrow a number of items off of us for the last few years. Thanks to them I can find the computer and type this message! Regards, Steve Santini
P.S. Please understand... I am not bragging. In fact, it is more like complaining! Nah... it's not so bad. Like they say... "be careful what you wish for".

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Steve(aliasMIB),
Houdini! Man, I was only 9 or 10 when I saw Tony and Janet in the movie. Loved it! My 7year old daughter loves it too!
She had the flu and woke up about 1 in the morning so we watched it on TCM's. Would loved to have talked to that man!
Best regards, Don

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Steve, why suffer from having your house cluttered by all that Titanic flotsam when you can easily recover space by giving it to me. Once your house is clear it'll be like getting your life back, and you'll be free to start a new and more useful hobby like origami. I, of course, will inherit the problem of the clutter but I guess I'm just a kind-hearted guy. So act now, get it all parcelled up and send to me c/o Sotheby's, London. :)

S

stephen peters

Well I did have my bedroom as a titanic room, unfortunately when i moved out the first time to be with my fiancee (now ex) my parents took it over and turned it into a dining room (we live in a bugalow) when i moved back home last year and took the room back, all my shelves etc were gone so its all had to sit up in crates in the loft ever since (my dad often winges that its pushing the celing through because of all the weight), every so often i go up there to look through the stuff my models, books, articles, pictures, when i left school my best friend bought me a model of the titanic as well as put together a whole book dedicated to titanic out of cuttings from her books and articles she found as for family its rare i don't get a book/video/model/picture from some one in my family on birthdays or christmas unfortunately they just go straight into the loft for now but i hope to be gettin my own place begining of next year so then i will go mad (again)

Steve Santini

Nov 29, 2000
Dear Bob,
Sorry,
I would ceratinly send it to you but I cannot leave the house due to a 15ft model currently blocking the exit leading up from the basement; henceforth I can't deliver the items to a professional shipping co. -A lousy excuse and more than probably just some really poor fiction (i.e. "a white lie")-. All kidding aside, thank you Bob for your generous offer but in reality, I really love these things. They have a power and a magic that is almost tangible. Regards, Steve Santini

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Well, Steve, my offer stands if ever you feel the need for space for something useful like some furniture. I'll even swap you a nice comfy bean bag for that deck chair. In the meantime, and otherwise deprived of the Santini collection, I shall have to content myself with playing in the bath with my sinking model of the Titanic.

Regards,
Bob

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well, Steve, I'm considerably closer to you than Bob, and the shipping would be much less. I could even arrange to pick them up. I'd use them in my school shows to inspire a new generation of Titaniacs.

:)

Kyrila

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
I share a small room with my younger brother, so I don't have much space to display anything but still I have a 28 inch long model that I bought in London(it was so expensive but cannot recall how much) some posters and books. I will convert the study room to my room soon....

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
My room can be called "The Titanic Room": All the posters, prints and paintings, pictures, rigging and deck plans hanging on the wall; not to mention all my books, CDs, and videos.

I've also have a Harley Crossley painting in our family room, along with two Belfast-area Titanic posters (one from the Ulster Transport Museum, the other from Harland & Wolff), and another room has the Titanic throw blanket (advertisement image) and the Photomosiac poster.

This is in addition to my cubicle at work: I can just imagine my manager saying "When I learned John was coming here, I had no idea he'd be bringing the Titanic with him": copies of the Marschall images from the 1998 & 1999 calendars on the walls, as well as the Marschall screen saver and jpg pictures I downloaded on my computer (one of the images is pasted on the desktop images). I think my use of the postcard and screensaver images, on emails, is one of the reasons IRS installed an HTML blocker on all new computers.

I also incorporated Titanic references to my email mailing lists: Titanic Crew, First Class Passengers, Officers, Owners, Passengers, Harland & Wolff, and White Star Line, for the various recipients.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Sounds much like my room, Dave. I occasionally make trips there to recover artifacts but the general condition of the room is fast deteriorating due to the actions of micro-organisms, and exploration is becoming dangerous. I have considered building a replica room but this would be prohibitively expensive and unlikely to meet modern safety requirements.

C

Chris Nicholson

I have my own Titanic room (sort of). It used to be a big walk in closet in my room that was used for storage, but recently I cleaned it out. The shelf near the cieling is filled with Titanic books. The room also houses my desk where I research and draw, my models, a few collectables that I have gotten over the years, ( I am still a kid so I can't really afford a-lot of them or the expensive stuff), and a couple posters. It6 may not be much but I have my whole life ahead of me and a-lot of time to collect plus I feel that my real Titanic collection is the knowledge in my mind.