Do you tend to correct the film as you watch it too

J

Jaime Croft

Obviously, I am like many of us here whose families "tolerate" our interest in Titanic. They think it funny that I have watched this film - and all my other DVD's that Santa was so kind to deliver this year - over and over. What I think drives them nuts at the moment is my running commentary during the film. It usually consists of my "yelling out" corrections at the TV:

"...but we all called her Molly..."
Me - "No you didn't!"

"...helloooo...is there anyone alive out there..."
Me - "Yes...and the what the heck are you echoing off of????"

Fun for me, but I am sure pretty darn annoying for them. I am no expert by any means, but it is fun to point the mistakes out...

Anyone else do this as well?

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
The potrayal of the confrontation between Molly brown and Quartermaster Rowe was reversed in the movie. WTF? put it back the way the exchange between them went. That was easiest to spot in the movie.

Jun 12, 2004
Yeah, I plead guilty from time to time, too. Take the 1st-class dinner scene, for example. Among other considerations, Ismay did not sit at the middle table, nor did Gracie or Guggenheim; they each had different tables. Another instance, was showing many 1st-class women in the midst of drowning within the forward staircase (that is, if they all were 1st-class. They appeared like it to me). Only four 1st-class woman died that night: Strauss, Evans, Allison, and Isham. Another yet is the scene (albeit a clip) of the Strausses in their bed as their cabin filled with water... There are many instances, but those are just a few. The thing is this: We have to remember that it was just a movie; we can't take it seriously. Although research had been done for the sake of realism, certain dramatic liberties were taken to ensure a captivating depiction.

Still, the inaccuracies have been discussed here time and time again. I'm sure that there might even be a few still missed...

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
That 'confrontation' that occurred in the movie didn't exist. Molly Brown requested to Hichens that he let the woman row to keep warm, which he allowed. It came from the testimony that Molly gave to the inquiry about the kind of men that were in the lifeboat. During this time she heard some very unsavory remarks from some of the crew men, so that is where the infamous line 'Shut that hole in your face!' came from.

I think that is a hazard for being a Titanic buff (or having one in your family), you can't just sit back and enjoy the movie without pointing out every inaccuracy
happy.gif

Jun 12, 2004
Imagine doing that in the theatre? LOL. Everyone would be like, " what is your problem?" hehe. Doing it in the privacy of your own home is something different, though.

By the way, when Titanic first came out here, the cinema (Star) had a Titanic quiz. I cam in second. It's nice to get recognition, even though you feel comfortable in your own knowledge.

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
LOL
happy.gif
Camron did say if he left it to Ken Marschall, the movie would be alot longer than it really is and would have taken even longer to make
happy.gif
No kidding, being a perfectionist has that tendency
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Imagine doing that in the theatre? LOL. Everyone would be like, " what is your problem?" hehe.<<

Just befor the usher booted you out. Hell, some theatres will do that.

>> Doing it in the privacy of your own home is something different, though. <<

I've done that with a few really awful so-called documentaries. That Great Blunders In History thing had me screaming and tearing my hair. Was there a myth they didn't miss passing off as fact?

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
The History Channel really must recheck their sources. Any Titanic film they make has errors in it. I'm happier with the Discovery Channel
happy.gif

One big error is after the king of the world comment, the entire model is mirrored! Yes, the skylight on the forecastle deck in on the opposite side as well as everything else. I'm surprised no one caught that before releasing the movie to theaters. Another error is at the end where Old Rose's spirit travels to the wreck, the way she got inside is an eror. The port bridge wing covers the sliding doorway, and yet the movie shows the camera pass through the same door.

Mary Hamric

Apr 10, 2001
I sometimes do that, but other times I just sit back and enjoy it.

I mean, they gotta sit through it with me so I try and give people a break.
happy.gif

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Hello all,
You should see my earlier post:Movie vs Historical
There are millions...
1)Madame Aubert never ate in the First Class Dining Saloon
2)Ismay was in the wrong cabin
3)Master at Arms office in wrong place
4)Lake Wissota
5)Middle Propeller was not used in port
4)Engine room was controlled from a platform, not on ground level
5)Crew's galley skylight is shown on starboard but was actually on the port side
6)Food could not be ordered at the Palm Court
7)The sun in the wrong position during the flying scene
8)There is no door between Boiler Room 6 and the cargo hold
9)CQD is sent out not in Morse Code...it was gibberish
10)The marconi key was held w/ the thumb and 2 fingers
11)The telegram after the iceberg accident says "Full Reverse" instead of "All Stop"
12) Lifeboats did not have flashlights
Just to name a few....
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
Thanks, Shane. Lake Wissota
huh.gif
is one of those details that I would have never thought to question. It is in Chippewa Falls, but it didn't even exist until 1918, poor ol' Jack!

Jun 12, 2004
>>12) Lifeboats did not have flashlights<<

Shane,

Just a little clarification: I didn't think Lowe had a flashlight either, but Bob Godfrey cleared the air some time ago on this: A doctor who had been a passenger on a previous voyage gave Lowe a flashlight as a gift. I don't remember the details or where the thread is in these forums, but, rest assured, it was feasible that Lowe had an early form of flashlight.

Just thought I'd mention that. If Bob or Inger see this, perhaps they may elaborate on this point again.

Still, I know exactly what you're saying - so much to scream at in the movie regarding inaccuracies. ;)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Still, I know exactly what you're saying - so much to scream at in the movie regarding inaccuracies. ;)<<

True, but I seldom trouble myself to do that anymore...unless somebody asks me about how "True To Life" the movie was. Then they get an earful. You should see some of the reactions when I'm reading the Inquiry transcripts during my lunch break at work.

Cracks like "You mean, that was a real ship?" [insert pained groan here]

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Lowe's flashlight was provided for him that night by John Simpson, the assistant surgeon. It probably wasn't a great deal of use, though. Dry cell batteries of that period had a very limited lifespan and the torches were intended to provide light only in short bursts - that's how they got the name 'flashlights'. If it was still working at all by the time Lowe made his foray into the wreckage it certainly wouldn't have provided the searchlight beam seen in the film.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Also,
I'd like to correct myself...
Food was definitely served in the Palm Court (It's main purpose...) but MEALS were not served here, just snacks and light foods. Hence,"I am afraid we do not serve lamb here, Mr. Hockley. That is available at the saloon, sir. May I bring you anything else?"
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy
PS-The same for you, Mr. Ismay. Salmon is served below.

Jun 12, 2004
>>Cracks like "You mean, that was a real ship?" [insert pained groan here]<<

You mean it was? :p

>>If it was still working at all by the time Lowe made his foray into the wreckage it certainly wouldn't have provided the searchlight beam seen in the film.<<

Oh okay. I couldn't remember the details. Thanks for refreshing my memory, Bob. Sorry about that, Shane - I guess, in a way, you were right on that one. Honest mistake.

I presume, then, that Lowe had one of the very first flashlights ever made? I wonder where that is now.

>> just snacks and light foods.<<

Well, at least that was enough to tide them over until lunch or dinner. What would a light and airy place such as the Palm Court be without something light and airy to eat? ;)

That reminds me: I know this isn't the right thread for it, but I'm just wondering if Cameron ever made any attempts to go into portions of the stern section, such as the Palm Court. By looking at Marshall's painting of the stern, it appears that at least part of the Palm Court [behind the now non-existent 1st-class Smoking Room] is still intact underneath the 2nd-class entrance (as a matter of observation, actually, it appears as if the Palm Court is the only thing left on the A-Deck portion of the stern section). I'd absolutely love to get a closer look at that (without getting too close).

Thomas Balle

Dec 30, 2004
sometimes the ship seems like it is sinking fast. other times it looks like it's not even sinking. when the water reaches the C or D deck, (i don't remember right now but i mean the first deck with white painting) it stands still. nothing happens.. it should still be sinking but it looks like it's having a break. and then, suddenly, it starts to sink again