Do you think the novel "Raise the Titanic!" was far better than the movie?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I do. The Titanic looked more realistic funnel-less and the book contained more plot twists and excitement that I don't think could ever be copied on film.

I don't think they should have even made the movie, it's completely different than the book. It's not like A Night To Remember, which is very much well-adapted, almost word for word.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A preferred the novel to the movie because at the very least, some of the ideas for raising the ship....had the hull been intact and in a reasonably good state of preservation.....were at least theoretically plausible.

The movie was horrible but the musical score at least was great.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
The Novel was better, the pictures were better. But I still liked the movie. It was entertaining. Very few movies are better than the novels. A few exceptions for me were Gone with the Wind, The Godfather, and Logan's Run. I liked those movies better than the books.

IanMcD

Jun 9, 2013
Poulsbo, WA
A preferred the novel to the movie because at the very least, some of the ideas for raising the ship....had the hull been intact and in a reasonably good state of preservation.....were at least theoretically plausible.

The movie was horrible but the musical score at least was great.
The rousing musical score really did a lot to keep the film from being a total stinker.

Parts of the film are actually done quite well but it oddly deviates from some key elements of the novel. For example, Captain Prevlov is a far more prominent character in the book He's a young, ambitious Soviet intelligence officer who leads a boarding party to take over the Titanic. But in the film he's barely more than a minor character and is played a short, balding middle age actor. In the film there's no boarding party, no big showdown between Dirk Pitt and Prevlov.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
The rousing musical score really did a lot to keep the film from being a total stinker.

Parts of the film are actually done quite well but it oddly deviates from some key elements of the novel. For example, Captain Prevlov is a far more prominent character in the book He's a young, ambitious Soviet intelligence officer who leads a boarding party to take over the Titanic. But in the film he's barely more than a minor character and is played a short, balding middle age actor. In the film there's no boarding party, no big showdown between Dirk Pitt and Prevlov.
I've seen a lot movies over the years and one thing I could always tell almost from the first note was "oh, John Barry is doing the music. He always has good scores for the films he does.