Do you wish to one day dive on the Titanic wreck

T

Tom Pappas

Well, I went to the web site to sign up, but they wanted a $34.75 "Handling Fee!"

The hell with that!

K

Karin Kasper

There's no way I would ever dive down to see Titanic. I get claustrophpbic really easily, and I have a feeling it wouldn't take all that long before I started screaming, "Get me out of here!!!!"

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
I wouldn't want to take the risk of a lengthy dive in a cramped submersible with thousands of tons of water pressure outside just to catch a fleeting glimpse from an uncomfortable position. Seeing recovered artifacts up-close in the exhibit settings more than sufficed for me and gave me a chance to let my eyes linger on the remains of Titanic in a comfortable setting.

Jun 10, 1999
Ah but Eric...it's all about the adventure.

Just last night I was once more transfixed with the photographs of MARS which appeared in a past Nat'l Geo. Primarily a black & white photograph of the lander, taken by the ROV. I let my mind wander to the extremes of sci. fi.

I would volunteer in a heartbeat for the prolonged 110,000,000 mile journey. Beside...
...they'll be needing Carpenters to construct
habitats on the red planet...;-)

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

Jan 7, 2002
the odd thing is the tourist dives seem to be in the hands of different travel companies every time..
I think the next scheduled dive is in 2005...

Tarn Stephanos

Mar 23, 2003
I would love to see the wreck up close but due to cost will probably not be able to afford it.

However; I have been to Halifax, Nova Scotia and visited the Maritime Museum which has actual items (life jacket, carved wood and a deck chair)from the ship. We also visited the Fairview Cemetary which was a moving experience.

If the opportunity was available for "FREE" I probably would grab it in a minute but I also have mixed feelings due to it being a gravesite for so many people.

Barb

Jan 7, 2002
it fascinates me that there are many lifelong Titanic buffs who coulnt even be paid to dive on the wreck...
For me, seeing Titanic on the sea floor is my greatest dream.....

Tarn Stephanos

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
It's just a matter of realizing that I wouldn't really be able to see much in that kind of cramped setting. Maybe if we had comfortable submersibles where you could be standing up and looking through a translucent porthole lining the length of the sub, that would be different, but I wouldn't want to get in one of today's submersibles anymore than I'd want to fly in a small private plane.

Reactions: 1 user
J

Janet Orpen

I would love to go down and see the wreck. I think it would be so cool to have the bow emerging out of the darkness and then realising just how deep you are.

I have dove to 150ft. I have a long, long way to go.

T

Tom Pappas

Wouldn't bother me. If anything went wrong, it would be all over in an instant. Bring it on!

p.s. Light planes aren't death traps. If you read the accident investigations carefully, you will find that 99% of them involve some form of human folly. Flying, like operating a motor vehicle, is only as dangerous as the pilot/driver makes it. In both cases, if you don't do anything stupid, your odds are very, very good.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
There was a trip offered on E-bay for around 3,000 dollars. A 10 day trip on the Keldysh.
You did not get to dive on the wreck, but you got to assist with the submersibles and watch the others dive on the monitors. Of course if you wanted to dive just add about $25,000 to the kitty! Then again, pay the $3,000, and when they are about to launch a submersible pull your hidden weapon, take a hostage and go down!
I wonder if there are Titanic freaks in prison?
happy.gif

Just kidding, Don

Dec 12, 1999
No, I absolutely would not go down to the wreck, but it's not just because of being that far down in extremely deep water in a confined space...it's 95% to do with the fact I'm absolutely terrified of seeing the wreck that close-up. How many people can say that, I don't know, but unless my submates would want to be trapped for three hours with a panicky madwoman who's going to go even more ballistic when she sees the bow looming up out of the dark, then I think it's just one of those things I'll pass on.

(Why do you think I haven't seen Ghosts of the Abyss? I even had to cancel my order at Amazon for the book!!!!!).

Jul 7, 2002
Tarn,

Assuming I could afford it and overcome my claustrophobia (I'm with Kim on that one!), I'd be like Bill Paxton only worse. "So this is where they oxygen comes out, right? What number means there's a problem?"

Guess I'll have to settle for Imax.
happy.gif

Best wishes,

Cathy

Kate Bortner

May 17, 2001
Oh my gosh, how can you even ask!?! While I am historian of the "dry" ship, I would give my right arm to see it. Yes, I hate close spaces, yes, I need to pee often, and yes, I fear the length/depth of the dive, but NO (extreme NO!) I would never pass up an opportunity to see OUR ship. My heart is there; of course my eyes yearn to be there too.
Any one who has ANY connections: I am a school teacher who will pass on my knowledge to our future leaders: pick me. I want to go. I will keep the whinning down to a minimum and I will only pee with exicitment in my own wet suit. Take me. I'm a "sport" ;->
-kate