Do you wish to one day dive on the Titanic wreck

Jul 12, 2003
I am afraid of the closed places and being in the dark for so long, unable to control it...but, I on the other hand, if someone said I could go down and see the ship, I'd bet I would jump at the chance. I've always found that if I did or tried to do something I was afraid of, I ended up being glad I did it.

A

Arron Strachan

I attended an Titanic weekend earlier this year and spoke with a person who has been down to the wreck.

AS he said,
First, keep in mind that this is the final resting place of hundreds of people.
Second, the ship has been there for ninety two years now and the Titanic 'as it was' is no more.
Finally, there have been so many people/companies that have wanted to 'pay their respects' and have left plaques and memorial signs, they have become an eyesore to the memory of the ship.

A company were running a competition to take a dive to the Titanic however after speaking with this man I could not even bring myself to enter.

With today's technology and with the documented history that we have unhindered access to, there is no need for tourist trips to the Titanic. As has been previously mentioned, 'Ghosts of the Abyss' the IMAX movie gives you far more view of the ship that you could experience in a tourist dive.

Respect the area for what it is, please do not exploit it.

A

Andrew Parodi

>

I understand the sentiment of wanting to respect the resting place of the victims, but I think we should try to keep in mind that many people have different ways of respecting the resting place. For some people, leaving plaques IS a way of respecting the resting place of the victims. For others, visiting the site and perhaps even bringing back relics for museum displays is yet another way of showing respect.

It is indicative of our Anglo-Saxon heritage that we view respect for the dead as not visiting the places where they died. I remember watching a documentary about the "Day of the Dead" in Mexico. This is a day where relatives of the dead will decorate the graves of their loved ones. The relatives of the dead will sometimes even sit on the graves and have a picnic. It is a community event, and even often a tourist event. The narrator of the documentary commented on seeing tourists film - with video cameras - some of the displays. The narrator told a man whose father's grave was being filmed, that he thought it was very rude that tourists were filming the grave. The man said that he thought it was a way for the tourists to pay their respects to his father and the dead.

So, it's a cultural attitude that we have. We view death as wrong and we don't even say "dead" anymore. It's as thought it is wrong to die in this culture. I can't help but think that this cultural perspective has to do with many people's attitudes about visiting Titanic, bringing back relics, etc.

Now, if people were bringing back bodies, etc., then I'd have problems with that. But there are no bodies left.

Unfortunately, this is all a heated topic that I doubt will ever be resolved. I doubt that all parties involved will come to an agreement on this issue. But I myself have now changed my mind. I don't think I'd want to ever visit Titanic. I was in the midst of an obsession with Titanic when I started this discussion. I'm not so obsessed anymore now. I don't think the risk involved is worth seeing what, as so many have pointed out, can better be seen in footage already taken by filmmakers.

A

Andrew Parodi

Copy and paste the URL. Hopefully this is the right one:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story& u=/ap/20030828/ap_on_re_us/titanic_disintegration

In case this doesn't work, the basic jist is that the Titanic is disintegrating faster than they had predicted. And, sadly, the lookout from which someone yelled, "Iceberg, straight ahead," has disappeared completely.

Tell me, please (someone who knows), is that lookout the famous one? You know, the one replicated in the movie where the teen idol yelled, "I'm the king of the world!"?

A

Andrew Parodi

Oops! The article says it is the crow's nest that is gone.

I just don't understand why my link isn't working.

Apparently the URL I provided is not working. If you want to see the article, go to http://www.yahoo.com/ and then go to their news area and enter the title of the article: "Nature, Visitors Taking Toll on Titanic"

T

Tom Pappas

Here, this this link works.

But why does anybody care how long the wreck of RMS Titanic remains ship-shaped?

J

Joshua McCracken

Personally I'd much rather get into a wetsuit and dive on the Britannic!

Jul 7, 2002
Tom said: "But why does anybody care how long the wreck of RMS Titanic remains ship-shaped?"

I think the press is exaggerating the situation, trying to make it look like tourists and salvagers are hastening the deterioration of the wreck. The version of this article that was in the NY Times (August 9, 2003 By WILLIAM J. BROAD) was titled "Scientists Warn That Visitors Are Loving Titanic to Death."

You know the press, they need to make a story interesting, regardless of the facts!

Best wishes,

Cathy

Jul 12, 2003
I never saw that article but, out of curiosity, where did the Times get their "info" that people diving to the Titanic was causing it to deteriorate quickly.

I do agree that the press will go to any lengths to make a story interesting or to sell a paper.

A

Andrew Parodi

> > The article on Yahoo! says that the way tourists are hurting Titanic is that they are stirring up a lot of setiment when they go down there. Also, supposedly the fish population is down, and these fish used to eat the banicles, or something. The article also said that all the plaques that are left down there are not good for Titanic, though I think they may've just meant that on a cosmetic level: it doesn't look good to have all those plaques down there.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
So why is the article on Yahoo an authority on the subject?
eh.gif

A

Andrew Parodi

>

I never said that article on Yahoo was an authority on the subject. I'm just repeating what it said. And, just for clarification, this article was not written by Yahoo buy the Associated Press.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>this article was not written by Yahoo buy the Associated Press. <<

The same concerns apply however. Just because the Associated Press...or any other media outlet... sez it, doesn't mean it's so. In point of fact, the fact that these people often don't have a clue what their talking about has been at the core of every arguement offered against it.

Wade Sisson

Apr 13, 2001
I quite agree that this is just a case of media outlets -- AP and CNN most notably -- sensationalizing a story. It's news to nobody that Titanic is one day going to crumble away. They have to tweak the news and find an angle that sells. In this case, they would have you believe that the very sub visits that give us pictures of the wreck are destroying it. It's ridiculous. There is no proof of this at all.