Do you wish to one day dive on the Titanic wreck

A

Andrew Parodi

> Wow! The trip of a lifetime ... actually, the trip of several lifetimes.

A

Andrew Parodi

Copy and paste the URL. Hopefully this is the right one:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story& u=/ap/20030828/ap_on_re_us/titanic_disintegration

In case this doesn't work, the basic jist is that the Titanic is disintegrating faster than they had predicted. And, sadly, the lookout from which someone yelled, "Iceberg, straight ahead," has disappeared completely.

Tell me, please (someone who knows), is that lookout the famous one? You know, the one replicated in the movie where the teen idol yelled, "I'm the king of the world!"?

A

Andrew Parodi

Oops! The article says it is the crow's nest that is gone.

I just don't understand why my link isn't working.

Apparently the URL I provided is not working. If you want to see the article, go to http://www.yahoo.com/ and then go to their news area and enter the title of the article: "Nature, Visitors Taking Toll on Titanic"

T

Tom Pappas

Here, this this link works.

But why does anybody care how long the wreck of RMS Titanic remains ship-shaped?

J

Joshua McCracken

Personally I'd much rather get into a wetsuit and dive on the Britannic!

Cathy Akers-Jordan

Cathy Akers-Jordan

Tom said: "But why does anybody care how long the wreck of RMS Titanic remains ship-shaped?"

I think the press is exaggerating the situation, trying to make it look like tourists and salvagers are hastening the deterioration of the wreck. The version of this article that was in the NY Times (August 9, 2003 By WILLIAM J. BROAD) was titled "Scientists Warn That Visitors Are Loving Titanic to Death."

You know the press, they need to make a story interesting, regardless of the facts!

Best wishes,

Cathy

D

Deborah Russes

I never saw that article but, out of curiosity, where did the Times get their "info" that people diving to the Titanic was causing it to deteriorate quickly.

I do agree that the press will go to any lengths to make a story interesting or to sell a paper.

A

Andrew Parodi

> > The article on Yahoo! says that the way tourists are hurting Titanic is that they are stirring up a lot of setiment when they go down there. Also, supposedly the fish population is down, and these fish used to eat the banicles, or something. The article also said that all the plaques that are left down there are not good for Titanic, though I think they may've just meant that on a cosmetic level: it doesn't look good to have all those plaques down there.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

So why is the article on Yahoo an authority on the subject?
Eh

A

Andrew Parodi

>

I never said that article on Yahoo was an authority on the subject. I'm just repeating what it said. And, just for clarification, this article was not written by Yahoo buy the Associated Press.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>this article was not written by Yahoo buy the Associated Press. <<

The same concerns apply however. Just because the Associated Press...or any other media outlet... sez it, doesn't mean it's so. In point of fact, the fact that these people often don't have a clue what their talking about has been at the core of every arguement offered against it.

W

Wade Sisson

I quite agree that this is just a case of media outlets -- AP and CNN most notably -- sensationalizing a story. It's news to nobody that Titanic is one day going to crumble away. They have to tweak the news and find an angle that sells. In this case, they would have you believe that the very sub visits that give us pictures of the wreck are destroying it. It's ridiculous. There is no proof of this at all.