Documentaries from the ‘90s.

Alex Clark

Mar 24, 2012
Lancashire
Browsing Onestube, came across a documentary narrated by Robert Powell, which I had on VHS as a nipper. It has a few errors in it but it’s still a favourite as it was the first one I had. I also found two others made, I think, by the same people. One is called Echos of Titanic, which is from either ‘95 or ‘98 depending on which version you play. It was rather interesting, they showed the oft seen Olympic newsreel footage but more of it than most documentaries bother with. There’s a bit where W MacQuitty, producer of A Night To Remember, reads a letter from a survivor who talks about selling items from the disaster for booze in Uruguay. Also a clip of Eva Hart talking about what she did after the Titanic, and during the Second World War. This, of course, does not usually feature in Titanic docs and was quite interesting. Of the two versions on YouTube, one, in six parts, has the narrator tell that she sailed from Southampton in 1914. The same part of the narrative in the single fifty minutes clip( see link below) has the correct year. They must have redubbed it at some point.

Another one, Titanic Remembered, in six parts also, is from 1992 and shows memorial services and conventions taking place. Very interesting. These show that pre 1997 film, interest was still high, although the demographic of Titanic nuts was soon to be swollen by mass influx of teenage females. At this point, people still seemed interested in the actual ship.

Reactions: 1 user