Does anyone here plan to pay the $35000 to dive on Titanic

Feb 14, 2011
Just wondering how many of you-if any-plan to eventually pay the $35,000 to dive on Titanic?

Odds of my going in an official capacity on an exploratory expedition plumeted since I quit the exhibits, so I have decided to shell out the $$ to make the dive for the public by 2012.

Anyone else here saving your pennies to dive?
Who else here regards visting the Titanic wreck in person as your greatest dream?

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

David Whan

Oct 7, 2004
Hello Tarn

I would love to dive on Titanic, however, that would depend on my odds of winning the lottery!! I admit it would be a dream come true, but then again I dont think I would want to disturb the remnants of a horribly tragedy.

I dont know if I would call it a dream come true, as I would also love to see the wreck of the Andrea Doria up close!!

Regards to all Titanicophiles
happy.gif

Dave

Feb 14, 2011
Hi David
Seeing the Andrea Doria is simple, as there are dive charters there all the time..Just know how to dive...many people have died diving the Andrea Doria due to inexperience with diving with mixed gasses...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

M

Mikael Jonsson

$35 000 is a lot of money. I would rather pay that amount for a trip on a replica of Titanic. If I want to see the wreck I just have to watch Ghosts of the Abyss
happy.gif

Feb 14, 2011
People who participate in expeditions to Mt Everest usually pay upwards of $100,000, so $35,000 is comparatively a drop in the bucket.
If watching a video of Titanic is all i need to experince the ship, then by the same argument, why even leave my city, as there are pictures of all other cities readily available?
There is somthing to be said for 'being there'.
Why go to the Mars, if we have pictures of the planet?
Seeing the artifacts up close and just as pictures in a book are totally different experinces...
You can watch Ghost Of The Abyss until your eyes explode-and it is NOT the same as seeing the ship in person, I guarentee it...
Because the desire for exploration is a cornerstone of what it is to be human

M

Mikael Jonsson

For the $35,000 I think you will get 1-2 hours on Titanic. If you go to Mt Everest you will get several weeks. That is hard to compare.

But if I knew I was dying in one year I would absolutely go and see Titanic for real. Since I am planning to live I save my money for a ticket on a replica of Titanic which will probably be built sometime in the next 50 years. If not for 2012 maybe they build it for 2062
happy.gif

Feb 14, 2011
well, its alot longer than 2 hours- I have talked to a couple people who paid to make the dive, and they have no regrets.
You dont have the desire to visit the wreck Mikael, so for you, your argument is logical.
But diving Titanic has been my dream since i was 10.

M

Mikael Jonsson

Then I think you shall go. Otherwise you will regret it in 20-30 years when Titanic is gone.

If you later write a book about your visit I promise to buy it
happy.gif

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Not that I would ever have the money, but for me, I'd rather let 'my' place be taken by someone like Ken Marschall, or James Cameron, someone really worthy of being down there, and getting all the visual information that is possible. That to me would be much more useful than me being taken on the tourist route over those infernal bow railings etc!

Feb 14, 2011
Very noble of you Mike, but I think we are all worthy to visit the wreck and pay respects-
Visiting at the wreck should not be limited to just a handfull of people- thats what Dr Ballard wants-He would prefer only HE dive Titanic..

I favor ongoing James Cameron style explorations of the interior, with Titanic experts like Ken and Parks deeply involved in the exploration.

All the while,dives that perform a cursary exploration of the wrecksite should be available to everyone..

99% of hardcore titanic buffs are not in a line of work that would grant them the connections to get on a Titanic expedition, and the dives for the public make it available to anyone and everyone.(provided you pay of course)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Not me. I don't even know if I'd be keen to go if the trip was offered gratis. Being cooped up in a two meter wide titanium sphre for up to 16 hours is not my idea of a good time. If I had that sort of money, I'd take care of the taxes, pay off a few small debts I have and buy a new if somewhat modest car. My '81 Datsun is a tough one but getting long in the tooth.

M

Mikael Jonsson

What would you choose if you had the opportunity?

1. Participate on a new week long expedition to the Titanicwreck with two Mirs and free use of Jake and Elwood. James Cameron and Ken Marschall would also be on this expedition.

2. A ticket to first class on the maiden voyage of a exact replica of Titanic? You would have a ticket to the parlour suite and the voyage would be one week long.

The wreck is interesting, but I would absolutely go for number 2. That is my biggest Titanicdream
happy.gif

best regards, Mikael

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
#2. In Cameron's "Titanic", I noticed the rooms in the parlour suite didn't seem to be very commodious. Not nearly as roomy as the separate parlour suites aft of the 'big ones.'

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
No.1 for me please! Those people HAVE to go back and finish the job!

'81 Datsun, Michael?

Has Roy Cullimore had a look at it for you lately?! ;-)

Jan 28, 2003
35 thousand bucks?!
I'm with Michael on this one. There are simply too many priorities in real life to spend it on than peering through tiny thick portholes, in a scary creaking sphere, at something you can see better via a video camera. Call me unromantic ... but there's the mortgage and the college fees, not to mention the pension fund .....

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Go for it, Tarn! One only passes this way once, a tainted can of tuna can dispatch one to the great beyond in less time (but with less pain) than it takes to sit through that new Barrie movie, and before one realises that it is happening one is at the Depends stage of the game saying "Could have, should have, would have, didn't." If you can save the money without negative impact on your current living standard, just do it and worry about the consequences afterwards. Look at it this way- if you can make $100 per week on eBay, which is not difficult, you can achieve your goal in a little under 7 years without sacrificing a single cent of your day-to-day funds. And, 50 years from now when we are both shucking corn at the poor farm
happy.gif
you'll at least have the satisfaction of having achieved a goal and done something Out Of The Box.

M

Mikael Jonsson

Tarn:
If you really want I think you shall go. $35 000 is quite much for the average people, but if it is your dream you must go. One tip before you go. Don't forget to bring a camera
happy.gif
I am looking forward to read your diving report here on the forum.

Michael H. Standart:
I am absolutely convinced that there will be built a replica of Titanic sometime in the next 50 years. If they don't build the real ship they will build one as a museum or a hotel. I actually rescently recieved an e-mail that the replica in Shanghai is under construction at the moment, but I can't confirm that this is true. I have a friend who is coming home from Shanghai in a couple of days so I will ask him. Did you maybe get the opportunity to walk on the one James Cameron built back in 96?

Goodnight to you all.

best regards, Mikael

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I would go, if I won it BIG in the California Lottery. Heck, I'd even spring for tickets for Jason and Tarn to join me.
However, with my luck at gambling, I would not recommend packing your bags yet, guys.
sad.gif

Actually, with my luck, the three of us would have an easier time scuba diving to the wreck site.
wink.gif

In the meantime, I'm content to visit the sites involved in the story, as well as seeing places where many of the passengers and crew lived, or which were part of their life stories (such as the Allison family home, or Major Peuchen's properties).

M

Mikael Jonsson

Tarn: You can always try to get the money by donations. There are probably some organizations or magazines that would pay you for an article. You can also film it and sell the footage to TV
happy.gif