Does anyone here plan to pay the $35000 to dive on Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
A little foot note:
Ballard wishes to set up a "robotic" tour on the ocean floor, where from home, a person can tour the wreck. What are your views on this?
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>> am absolutely convinced that there will be built a replica of Titanic sometime in the next 50 years. If they don't build the real ship they will build one as a museum or a hotel.<<

Don't count on it. We've had a lot of discussions on this and proposals out there are as thich as fleas on a dog. So far, nothing has been put together in and graving dock or building slip anywhere.

>>I actually rescently recieved an e-mail that the replica in Shanghai is under construction at the moment, but I can't confirm that this is true.<<

Show me the prospectus, the plans, the financing, investors, etc. Rumour control via chums and e-mails are not especially compelling, much less convincing.

>>Did you maybe get the opportunity to walk on the one James Cameron built back in 96?<<

No. Mind you that this was not a replica but a shell built over scaffolding with...at best...a very few spaces being replicated, and most of them weren't even built on this most expensive of props. What you saw on the Cameron film wasn't even close to being an operable ship.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Well, I'd go if I won the lottery as well and would also get tickets for John and Tarn to come along, but the chances of that happening are very slim. I definitely would not shell out that much money from my own pocket, as they are many things in life that take priority as Monica pointed out.

I'm just as happy as well to visit sites that are connected with the disaster. That is one of the best things about doing research and for me, it provides a lot of satisfaction.

M

Mikael Jonsson

Tarn: I have been thinking about this a lot the last couple of days and I really think you shall go. I have started to think about going myself, but being a student I would have to borrow a lot of money. Since Titanic will be gone soon you will regret it if you don't go.

Michael: I log on here on the forum every day and follow all the threads so I know everything that has been said about the replica. The reason why I don't write so much on the forum is that English is not my main language and therefore I sometimes can't express myself the way I want. Anyway. The dream of a replica is my dream just as much as the wreck is for Tarn so I will never stop dreaming
happy.gif

By the way. I have to thank you for all your 10694 posts on this forum. You know so much details about Titanic that I will never manage to learn myself.

About the Cameron replica. I have read his book about the film several times so I know what he built, but it was better than nothing and I feel like we lost something when it was demolished. Luckily I have got "Titanic Explorer"
happy.gif

best regards, Mikael

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The dream of a replica is my dream just as much as the wreck is for Tarn so I will never stop dreaming<<

Well, nothing wrong with dreaming. Just don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. Of course, if somebody does manage to knock something together and get it into the water, I'll wish them fair winds and following seas.

Regards the Cameron set, I'm not of the mind to think that anything was really lost here. A movie set made of scaffolding, plywood, a little bit of glass and some sheet metal was never meant or even expected to last for much longer then it took to make the film...and it didn't either. After a few dunkings, it was pretty well trashed.

A pity since it might have made for an interesting tourist attraction.

Jun 12, 2004
From what I've heard, the ship in the movie (10% smaller than the real one) cost more than the real one did to make, and that's taking into account the differentiation between currency values between 1912 and present.

Dec 9, 2004
A very interesting discussion. I'm new to this site, and of all the topics being debated this seemed closest to my heart. I've thought about whether or not I'd want to see the Titanic for myself---even if I weren't claustrophobic and afraid of deep water. The answer is no. I truly understood and respected Dr. Ballard's beliefs after he found Titanic. He had wanted to find her and give her a "voice" again, to let her fate be witnessed and recorded...then leave her and all who perished in peace. Because she became, on the night she sank, a still-beautiful but massive grave for so many people. It seems that the heavy travel to her has and will continue to take its toll. The landing on decks, taking things that were never meant to belong to anyone else... enough should be enough. It's almost a violation. The film taken so far has proven to be a powerful visual in its own right. I'm sure some will disagree, and everyone has an opinion. Like so many who visit this site, I've been fascinated with Titanic's story since childhood.

M

Mikael Jonsson

Well Tarn what did you decide?
I am curious.

best regards, Mikael

Jan 7, 2002
I have a friend who is already booked to dive next year...
I dont have the $$$, but over the next few years hope to save my pennies.
8 )

regards

tarn Stephanos

M

Mikael Jonsson

That is great.
Please post here how it goes for both you and your friend.

best regards, Mikael

Jun 12, 2004
Tarn, I know it will be an experience you'll never forget - Titanic-wise and money-wise, hehe. I'm still wondering if it's really worth the amount of money that's being required....

Jan 7, 2002
What became of Brigette staar(sp?) ?

Hers was the only 1st person narrative of a paying(?) diver to the wreck I have read on ET.....

Im seriously amazed so few people here hold the dream of visiting the wreck in person...
Some people think of nothing else but climbing mt Everest or K2...
for me its visiting the Titanic wreck...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Brigette Saar is still around and involved in the Titanic community as far as I know, Tarn - she's a regular at the BTS conventions where she is always happy to answer questions about her experiences on the wreck, and I understand was at a function hosted by Kalman and Phil Gowan last year.

Andrew Rogers, who sometimes posts on ET, is another person who has been to the wreck - he won his ticket in a competition here in Oz. Andrew is a top bloke who, although he had little prior interest in the wreck before winning his trip, turned his experience to the best possible use. He took many images and has done a great deal of research since, particularly into Australian links. He has appeared extensively in the Oz media, in newspaper features, magazine articles, TV and Radio interviews. He has also given many talks on the subject, the most recent I know of just a couple of months back.

Jan 7, 2002
Hi Inger!
My god, imagine winning a visit to titanic..now that is a trye lottery ticket!
The company offering the dives also takes on 'non diving passengers', for $5000 or so.
Im concidering doing that in the near future...But it might be torture for me, as others on the Keldish would dive, and I wouldnt...But at least id be at the site....
It would be akin to a starving man sitting at a table covered with food, but not being able to indulge in the main course....
But It sure beats sitting at home watching reruns of Kojak.....

Regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jan 7, 2002
The company that does the dive for the public has a non diving option for around $4000 or so- you go on the research ship, and out to the site (but you don't dive the wreck)....
I cant go this year, but if they go out in 2006, I'm there....I can swing $4000+

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
So if you're on the research ship, what can you do? I'd love to dive to Titanic to see her formyself. I'd take thousands of photos for my own mosaics of the wreck, like a profile of the bridge and foward superstructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.