Does anyone here plan to pay the $35000 to dive on Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
Yeah, I agree. What's the point of going if you can't see the wreck itself? Any Titanic buff would say the same, but that'd depend on the individual if they wanted to go or not.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm sure that anyone going out on an expedition would get to see the wreck itself, albit by TV monitor. About the only advantage I can see to that is that anyone present would be seeing the thing in real time. I don't think I'd want to cough up $4000 for that when it may well be on a webcam...like on Cameron's 2001 expedition...or on National Geographic a few months later for the price of satellite/cable subscription.

But that's just me. Others may have different priorities.

Jun 12, 2004
I'm not paying thousands of dollars to go to the seabed if I'm not going to see the wreck. After all, the wreck is the reason I'm paying an arm and a leg in the first place. In a nutshell: Paying all that money and NOT seeing the wreck/wrecksite is a rip-off, plain and simple.

robin ayotte

Nov 17, 2002
i would pay 35, to see the titanic and its 10 days on the ship and one time down to see titanic,it takes 10 hours altogether to see the titanic 2 1/2 hours down and 5 hours looking at the titanic and 2 1/2 up i was just reading about it last nite,if i ever get that kind of money saved up i would love to go.

Jan 7, 2002
Diving Titanic occupies my thoughts...I HAVE to see her in person, its a dream i can't shake..
Having worked with the 'Big Piece' may have gotten me 'closer' to Titanic than many who dived the wreck, as I touched the hull, but I must see her in person...In some way it gives 'completion' to my time working with the Titanic artifacts.
Plus I can stop lamenting "I could have gone", as I opted out of the 2000 expedition in protest to plans to cut off the anchors, but stull envied my coworkers who dove the wreck. Feeling sorry for ones self on occasion is only human..
Once I dive the wreck, i can put such tom foolery out of my mind...
Paying for it is the tricky part, on a teachers salary, if I live frugally, i can save the ammount over a couple years....
Im just surprised that few if any other people here share that dream of diving the wreck.
Many hardcore Titanic buffs I know seem to have little interest in seeing the wreck in person- I could never understand why...To each thier own I suppose...
Its funny, a couple Titanic friends once said 'the general public will never be able to dive Titanic.
Im glad they are wrong.....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 7, 2005
Tarn--if I had $35K that I could use for anything I wished, anything at all, I'd definitely consider diving on Titanic. That would be the ultimate life experience for me! Since I don't have that kind of cash available, I settle for seeing the artifact exhibits every chance I get!

I hope someday you realize your dream!

BTW, I admire the fact that you sacrificed your opportunity to go on the expedition in 2000 in order to stand up for something you believed in.

Regards,

Denise

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks Denise..
In a way it was a good thing, because once I get down there, Ill savor the experience even more...

I have to make the dive, for as the saying goes, "Its not the things you have done in life that you'll regret the most, but rahter the things you didn't do".

I must make the dive, lest I turn into an oompa loompa...
Thanks for the kind words too, an I need to deal with my self pity of missing out on a dream-The dives for the public mean I can make my dream a reality....

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Lori Coleman

Feb 15, 2005
Tarn, I sincerely hope you get to fulfill your dream of diving the wreck. I truly understand your desire to see it for yourself.

Unfortunately, my claustrophobia would turn me into a blubbering fool who would probably be quite dangerous in such a confined space. I'd probably flail around and hit the 'implode' button or something.

I can't imagine actually being on the site, looking at Titanic in real life. It seems like it would be the closest thing we have to time travel. An opportunity to see something long ago lost, something we never thought we'd see again. I envy all who get the chance to do it!

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for the nice words Lori!

I have a hunch it will happen, thank god foe "Deep Ocean expeditions".
I'm hoping to have the $$ saved well before 2012.

I don't have a problem with claustrophobia, but I do have a fear of heights,hence wonder how anyone could stomach climbing Mt. Everest- but many have the Everest dream as a life long obsession.

Odd how a 2 1/2 mile plunge to the sea floor wouldnt phase me, given my fear of heights..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

S

sharon rutman

Well, it's wistful thinking for me to raise that kind of cash to take that 2 1/2 hour trip to the bottom of the ocean. However, i read in the Daily News about a couple of months ago that a woman who lives not far from me in Howard Beach is on the Keldish planning to go down. I only wish it was me. Maybe when I win the lotto ...

Jan 7, 2002
Well, I came within centimeters of being on 2 past official expeditions- Now I suspect paying to make the dive will be the only way I'll see the ship in person- I've had a severe case of titanicitus since I was 10 (aka 'titanic fever'), and I just Have to see her in person- call me a ninny, It's just something I need to do...

I'm concerned Deep Ocean Expeditions might not go back to Titanic- they havent had access to the Mir subs for a couple years, so I'm not sure what's happening....
I make a teachers salary- which compared to other vocations is chickenfeed-The cost for a Titanic dive is nearly the years salary for a new teacher in my state...But I have to see her....Some dream of Mt Everest, I dream of visiting Titanic...I hope to god this dream comes true...
If not, as a teacher I hope I can encourage my students to develop an interest in Titanic, and perhaps one of them can reach Titanic..

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'm concerned Deep Ocean Expeditions might not go back to Titanic- they havent had access to the Mir subs for a couple years, so I'm not sure what's happening.... <<

Either they had a falling out with the Russians (The way RMSTI supposedly did) or somebody made them a better deal. It may also be that the Russian government has made the MIR operators an offer they couldn't refuse by way of arctic exploration. They've had quite the interest there of late.

Feb 21, 2005
>>Well, I would, provided the wreck lasts long enough for me to get the cash raised!<<

Amen to that!

I'm afraid she'll be a pile of orange powder before I scrape up even half the fee in spare cash.

Always fun to dream though.

Aug 26, 2007
It is amazing to think about doing it. In theory, I would absolutely love to! It really would be an experience to treasure forever.

But with the steep price as well as my overwhelming fear of water, I don't think it will ever quite work out for me, lol.

Never stops me from dreaming about it, though.
happy.gif

Aug 11, 2008
Lets see...diving to the Titanic for $35,000??? Give me a lotto ticket and get a few witches to do some Santeria on me and hopefully if i win it i will go...hahaha...no but on some serious thoughts i would love to have the chance to see the wreck...just too much money.

Status
Not open for further replies.