Does anyone round here wear a pocket watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2019
Yeah. the mechanism was my inexperience with pocket watches. I think they feel classier than a regular watch, so I feel obligated to spend more money on getting a good one rather than one of similar quality to the one I had. When I think "pocket watch," I think "classier dress if not a suit." Doesn't go well with my "uncultured swine" look I have going on. I would like one, and a few have caught my eye, but I don't have that kind of dough at the moment.

The wristwatch I have has been through a lot. The face is all scratched to hell so I may need to get it repaired soon. I do have a couple other watches, though. That's a weakness I find, having an obstacle on your wrist. It catches on everything. My sports watch (Polar M400) is particularly annoying because it's so square and chunky it constantly gets in the way of coats and shirts. It also has this perplexing ability to start timers when I bend my wrist too far back.

I got a brand new pocket watch!

My new daily driver

View attachment 43249
Looking forward to seeing your opinions
I'd like a watch with a face similar to yours. Roman numerals, stained brown colour, simple hands. A classic look.

Nov 14, 2005

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Hello Steven.

I still have my Grandfather's gold Hamilton given to him at the end of WW1. I wore it a few times up until about 12 years ago. Then, I had a waistcoat with a fob pocket. It still keeps perfect time - if I keep it wound.

Reactions: Steven Christian
Jul 8, 2018
Yeah. the mechanism was my inexperience with pocket watches. I think they feel classier than a regular watch, so I feel obligated to spend more money on getting a good one rather than one of similar quality to the one I had. When I think "pocket watch," I think "classier dress if not a suit." Doesn't go well with my "uncultured swine" look I have going on. I would like one, and a few have caught my eye, but I don't have that kind of dough at the moment.

The wristwatch I have has been through a lot. The face is all scratched to hell so I may need to get it repaired soon. I do have a couple other watches, though. That's a weakness I find, having an obstacle on your wrist. It catches on everything. My sports watch (Polar M400) is particularly annoying because it's so square and chunky it constantly gets in the way of coats and shirts. It also has this perplexing ability to start timers when I bend my wrist too far back.

I'd like a watch with a face similar to yours. Roman numerals, stained brown colour, simple hands. A classic look.
Hmm, a few replies back you mentioned that you prefer a wristwatch but now you want a pocket watch? i guess i changed your mind by talking about how to properly operate one.

Anyway, The one i currently use is Luxury Antique Gold Stainless Steel Moon Phase Hand Wind Mechanical Pocket Watch | eBay

and the chain i use is double Albert, though i don't actually have anything other then just weight to put on the other chain

nytkrew

Jun 8, 2016
I have two, one for "everyday" use (that admittedly I don't wear all the time" and another as a wedding gift from my wife that she had engraved and I keep displayed in my office.

Jul 8, 2018
Just quick question because i'm kinda bored.

I wear mine with a waistcoat, and yes i've gotten complimented on it before.

I also have a bridge coat that i wear in the winter.

Just wondering if any of you do...

Looking forward to see your replies.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I got one as a present, but haven't had the opportunity to wear it yet sadly.:(

I would say (in my opinion) that pocket watches and bridges coat are very cool and it's a shame people still don't dress a bit like in 1912 (albeit a bit more causal...)

A

Aaron_2016

I used to wear a gold plated pocket watch back in 2004 when I worked at the city hospital and some of the patients (and nurses) mistook me for a doctor. It certainly adds an elegant touch. I also wore a silver plated pocket watch this summer when I visited Ibiza. I always think of the Titanic when I look at it, especially when the hands read 2.20. I used to get quite emotional as the pocket watch represented that period of time and the moment the Titanic went down as a number of watches were recovered from the bodies and the survivors who were rescued from the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 8, 2018
I got one as a present, but haven't had the opportunity to wear it yet sadly.:(

I would say (in my opinion) that pocket watches and bridges coat are very cool and it's a shame people still don't dress a bit like in 1912 (albeit a bit more causal...)
Yes I've always found hoodies to be rather boring looking, and while I've seen at least two other people wearing pocket watches, its a rare sight, but i appreciated the elegance, heritage, and emotions i get from such a timepiece, whenever i walk past the sea, a lake, fountain, pond or any body of water, i have visions of throwing my pocket watch into it, as some sort of homage to titanic and her passengers.

I two wish that the fashion of 1912 will come back someday

Reactions: Harland Duzen
Jul 8, 2018
I used to wear a gold plated pocket watch back in 2004 when I worked at the city hospital and some of the patients (and nurses) mistook me for a doctor. It certainly adds an elegant touch. I also wore a silver plated pocket watch this summer when I visited Ibiza. I always think of the Titanic when I look at it, especially when the hands read 2.20. I used to get quite emotional as the pocket watch represented that period of time and the moment the Titanic went down as a number of watches were recovered from the bodies and the survivors who were rescued from the water.

Me two, whenever i check the time it reminds me of titanic and her passengers and crew, it's an emotional feeling, the whole thing just harks back to an era where things were different.

And that's why i like pocket watches

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
I have used pocket watches. I have a collection of about 6, and my Grandpa's gold pocket watch I wore every day on a chain on a waistcoat when I was an articled clerk (trainee solicitor) and when qualified. When we appeared in court we were expected to wear a waistcoat as some Judges would be very touchy on such things.

On a more practical level, they are much clearer than wrist watches, for those of us whose eyesight is not what it was!

Cheers,

Julian

Nov 14, 2005
I used to wear them on and off when I was working. It had nothing to so with fashion. It was a safety thing. I was in energized cabinets a lot so no wrist watches, rings or anything metal on my hands. They are cool and yes Julian they are a lot easier to read. Mine was just a simple cheap Timex watch on a leather strap. I bet half the people today probably never seen a pocket watch.

Jul 8, 2018
I have used pocket watches. I have a collection of about 6, and my Grandpa's gold pocket watch I wore every day on a chain on a waistcoat when I was an articled clerk (trainee solicitor) and when qualified. When we appeared in court we were expected to wear a waistcoat as some Judges would be very touchy on such things.

On a more practical level, they are much clearer than wrist watches, for those of us whose eyesight is not what it was!

Cheers,

Julian
I have perfect vision and i still find them easier then wristwatches, people who don't wear waistcoats or pocket watches are missing out on something big.

Jul 8, 2018
I used to wear them on and off when I was working. It had nothing to so with fashion. It was a safety thing. I was in energized cabinets a lot so no wrist watches, rings or anything metal on my hands. They are cool and yes Julian they are a lot easier to read. Mine was just a simple cheap Timex watch on a leather strap. I bet half the people today probably never seen a pocket watch.
Just like them fob watches that nurses wear..

For people nowadays, pocket watches are just a symbol of older times, and many people don't have an interest in wearing them, mostly because of "current fashion trends" (this word makes me feel kinda nauseous) and wanting to go along with the crowd, I've always praised the motivational posters with anything about being your self written on them..

They're also harder to steal then wristwatches.

Status
Not open for further replies.