Does anyone round here wear a pocket watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
Just quick question because i'm kinda bored.

I wear mine with a waistcoat, and yes i've gotten complimented on it before.

I also have a bridge coat that i wear in the winter.

Just wondering if any of you do...

Looking forward to see your replies.

Reactions: 1 users

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
I got one as a present, but haven't had the opportunity to wear it yet sadly.:(

I would say (in my opinion) that pocket watches and bridges coat are very cool and it's a shame people still don't dress a bit like in 1912 (albeit a bit more causal...)

A

Aaron_2016

I used to wear a gold plated pocket watch back in 2004 when I worked at the city hospital and some of the patients (and nurses) mistook me for a doctor. It certainly adds an elegant touch. I also wore a silver plated pocket watch this summer when I visited Ibiza. I always think of the Titanic when I look at it, especially when the hands read 2.20. I used to get quite emotional as the pocket watch represented that period of time and the moment the Titanic went down as a number of watches were recovered from the bodies and the survivors who were rescued from the water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
I got one as a present, but haven't had the opportunity to wear it yet sadly.:(

I would say (in my opinion) that pocket watches and bridges coat are very cool and it's a shame people still don't dress a bit like in 1912 (albeit a bit more causal...)
Yes I've always found hoodies to be rather boring looking, and while I've seen at least two other people wearing pocket watches, its a rare sight, but i appreciated the elegance, heritage, and emotions i get from such a timepiece, whenever i walk past the sea, a lake, fountain, pond or any body of water, i have visions of throwing my pocket watch into it, as some sort of homage to titanic and her passengers.

I two wish that the fashion of 1912 will come back someday

Reactions: 1 user

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
I used to wear a gold plated pocket watch back in 2004 when I worked at the city hospital and some of the patients (and nurses) mistook me for a doctor. It certainly adds an elegant touch. I also wore a silver plated pocket watch this summer when I visited Ibiza. I always think of the Titanic when I look at it, especially when the hands read 2.20. I used to get quite emotional as the pocket watch represented that period of time and the moment the Titanic went down as a number of watches were recovered from the bodies and the survivors who were rescued from the water.

Me two, whenever i check the time it reminds me of titanic and her passengers and crew, it's an emotional feeling, the whole thing just harks back to an era where things were different.

And that's why i like pocket watches

Julian Atkins

Sep 23, 2017
South Wales UK
I have used pocket watches. I have a collection of about 6, and my Grandpa's gold pocket watch I wore every day on a chain on a waistcoat when I was an articled clerk (trainee solicitor) and when qualified. When we appeared in court we were expected to wear a waistcoat as some Judges would be very touchy on such things.

On a more practical level, they are much clearer than wrist watches, for those of us whose eyesight is not what it was!

Cheers,

Julian

Nov 14, 2005
I used to wear them on and off when I was working. It had nothing to so with fashion. It was a safety thing. I was in energized cabinets a lot so no wrist watches, rings or anything metal on my hands. They are cool and yes Julian they are a lot easier to read. Mine was just a simple cheap Timex watch on a leather strap. I bet half the people today probably never seen a pocket watch.

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
I have used pocket watches. I have a collection of about 6, and my Grandpa's gold pocket watch I wore every day on a chain on a waistcoat when I was an articled clerk (trainee solicitor) and when qualified. When we appeared in court we were expected to wear a waistcoat as some Judges would be very touchy on such things.

On a more practical level, they are much clearer than wrist watches, for those of us whose eyesight is not what it was!

Cheers,

Julian
I have perfect vision and i still find them easier then wristwatches, people who don't wear waistcoats or pocket watches are missing out on something big.

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
I used to wear them on and off when I was working. It had nothing to so with fashion. It was a safety thing. I was in energized cabinets a lot so no wrist watches, rings or anything metal on my hands. They are cool and yes Julian they are a lot easier to read. Mine was just a simple cheap Timex watch on a leather strap. I bet half the people today probably never seen a pocket watch.
Just like them fob watches that nurses wear..

For people nowadays, pocket watches are just a symbol of older times, and many people don't have an interest in wearing them, mostly because of "current fashion trends" (this word makes me feel kinda nauseous) and wanting to go along with the crowd, I've always praised the motivational posters with anything about being your self written on them..

They're also harder to steal then wristwatches.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
I have my great grandfathers, which I used to wear and don't do so now just to keep it nice.It has his initials on the front which makes it look a lot like John Jacob Astor's watch. The watch was a gift, given to him by my great great grandparents on Christmas Day 1911.The wood case still has the pricing(95.00 back then!!) and all the info regarding the watch components. The quality of anything made back then just floors me--the wood case has dovetailed joints! Dovetailed joints--for a watch case! I never stop being amazed at the craftsmanship that went into such utilitarian objects from back then.(the case not the watch).:)

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
I have my great grandfathers, which I used to wear and don't do so now just to keep it nice.It has his initials on the front which makes it look a lot like John Jacob Astor's watch. The watch was a gift, given to him by my great great grandparents on Christmas Day 1911.The wood case still has the pricing(95.00 back then!!) and all the info regarding the watch components. The quality of anything made back then just floors me--the wood case has dovetailed joints! Dovetailed joints--for a watch case! I never stop being amazed at the craftsmanship that went into such utilitarian objects from back then.(the case not the watch).:)
Amazing isn't it, i two have inherited watches (the oldest being 1930) and it does have a wood case, and a metal clasp on it, probably made of lead, I'd nether wear a watch of that vintage though.

This is my daily driver, got it from china, its mechanical and all the dials on it work, the chain i got from an online auction site, from this person who makes them, this one is a half-albert with a farthing attached, and sorry about the gigantic photograph.
DSC07534.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
Just like them fob watches that nurses wear..

For people nowadays, pocket watches are just a symbol of older times, and many people don't have an interest in wearing them, mostly because of "current fashion trends" (this word makes me feel kinda nauseous) and wanting to go along with the crowd, I've always praised the motivational posters with anything about being your self written on them..

They're also harder to steal then wristwatches.
Even wristwatches are going the way of the buggy whip. Everybody now it seems just looks at their smartphone for the time. I don't know if I believe it but I've been told some teenagers can't tell the time when looking at an analog clock anymore..the hands confuse them. Anyway thats a cool looking watch you have. I like it.

Dec 27, 2017
Isle of Man
In answer to the original question- yes, I do. You don't need to wear a waistcoat though as there is a watch 'strap' that allows you to keep it in your top pocket and retrieve it easily. That being said it works better with a waistcoat and chain. Of course, the wrist watch was popularised after the first World War as it was the officers watch of choice, particularly amongst the Artillery Regiments. Useless fact No 439.

Roger

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
Even wristwatches are going the way of the buggy whip. Everybody now it seems just looks at their smartphone for the time. I don't know if I believe it but I've been told some teenagers can't tell the time when looking at an analog clock anymore..the hands confuse them. Anyway thats a cool looking watch you have. I like it.
Yes, most use their smartphones nowadays, but some do still wear watches (heck i once even saw someone who looked to in their mid-late teens wearing a pocket watch!).

If your interested in my particular pocket watch and the chain, i can send you some links (no pun intended) if you want

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
In answer to the original question- yes, I do. You don't need to wear a waistcoat though as there is a watch 'strap' that allows you to keep it in your top pocket and retrieve it easily. That being said it works better with a waistcoat and chain. Of course, the wrist watch was popularised after the first World War as it was the officers watch of choice, particularly amongst the Artillery Regiments. Useless fact No 439.

Roger
Yea I've heard of the straps before, not a big fan of them (for starters it makes pick-pocketing easier), just like you i like the waistcoat and chain better.

Jan 27, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I wear one about every day with a waistcoat, in fact I am one of those that dress in vintage clothing with styles from the edwardian era up to the 1920's. I get a lot of compliments both on the watch and the clothes, also some looks from time to time lol. I like the style of the pocket watch and as long as you keep it wound in a timely fashion it keeps good time. In fact I would prefer a mechanical movement watch over a battery operated watch anyday. Usually I wear mine either with just the chain, a albert chain, or a double albert chain.

Michael

Oliver K

Jul 8, 2018
Nice! I get lots of compliments aswell, i find it an interesting thing, many people don't even care, some just stare, and some actually compliment.

My mechanical pocket watch at one point only 5 seconds behind but due to the fact i had to set it back 1 hour a few days ago, it's now some 40 seconds behind.

Pocket watches are an interesting and cool thing, especially if you see someone wearing one today, i wish you luck with your pocket watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.