1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone round here wear a pocket watch?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The_One_And_Only, Oct 25, 2018.

1. My chain is gold-plated, looks good but it will wear down to it's base metal, mine is still gold plated but it is turning kinda foggy on the parts that receive the most movement, you also cannot polish it, as that strips the plating off, how long it will last depends on how much you wear it.

Also, the link you gave for colin is the same watch i linked, so essentially colin is a different pocket watch with a similar movement?

It's a really nice watch and i was surprised at the weight and quality of it when i took it out the box, it was so good that i questioned wearing it because it will wear down, been wearing for a few weeks now and there's just some scuffing on the bottom of the case, the crystal doesn't appear to be scratched at all, i can't identify it's just colored gold or is gold-plated, but gold-plating is cheap and china has access to it so i guess it could be.

If you have multiple watches and you can't decide between them, use what i call the "sunday rule" wear your best looking watch on sunday and all your others on different days, i personally don't follow this rule, but i've seen people following it before.

It's a good idea to put the watch in your pocket with the crystal facing you, therefor if something were to strike you, or you were to strike something, the watch should be fine.

When you do pull it out your pocket and check the time, you do get some looks, i usually just check the time and put the watch back in my pocket and stare back at them.

PS: my avatar is my old half-Albert, bronze plated, with a fob that has a relief of white rabbit (Alice in wonderland) and a real 1949 Farthing on the other side, i wore it almost everyday between late may and December last year, it wasn't of the best quality and stained my white waistcoat with bronze plating several times, it's now in a box of chains.

Hope this helps!

2. Really? I seem to be having trouble with the links. It should have been a Seiko watch, silver face with a black leather strap. It's cheap, but I inherited it from my grandfather named Colin.

It has helped. Maybe I'll get on the hunt for one of these beauts.

Thanks, eh.