1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Dome

Discussion in 'Grand Staircases and Fittings' started by Anonymous, May 16, 2000.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anyone know why you can't see the glass dome that was over the Grand Staircase in overviews of The Titanic? Thanks, Anonymous ;)

Tags:
  2. Dan Cherry

Dan Cherry Active Member

Do you mean wreck photos? The glass dome imploded
    when water cascaded into the ship as it was
    sinking. You can observe a representation of this
    situation in the 1997 movie about the Titanic.

3. Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins Member

The dome was covered by a protective structure, (probably most made of timber, I fancy). It would be plain bad design to have a glass structure covering a great big hole in the deck. One mishap and kersplosh!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how did sunlight come throught the glass-dome if it was covered with a wooden structure?? Thanks, Anonymous :)

5. Dan Cherry

Dan Cherry Active Member

The dome was enclosed by a cover, topped with a
    beveled roof of square windows, allowing diffused
    sunlight in through the windows. The dome itself
    was frosted or transluscent glass. At night, the
    dome was lit by lights hidden by a lip around the
    base of the dome.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks

7. You can see the glass dome wenn you look good.
    It isn't round but a square. Thats why the dome is covered with a structure. The lights come in true the square "box" on boat deck and shine right into the a deck en boat-deck frontstairs

8. I have two questions about the staircase...

If the glass dome had wrought iron decorative pieces inlaid in each pane, wouldn't it stand to reason that on Titanic, since all of the metalwork is still present, wouldn't pieces of the dome's iron pieces still be either on the collapsed dome or littering the floor?

Also, I've seen numerous reports; in the Cameron movie, the grand staircase is flooded comletely (the clock and cherub are both submerged) and people smash through the boat deck windows, THEN the dome smashes in from above. However on page 135 of "Titanic: An Illustrated History", it shows water breaking through the A-Deck windows, coming around the corner on A-Deck, going down the stairs past the clock, and breaking through the dome. The staircase looks barely flooded; the cherub statue and the stairs leading up to the clock from A-Deck are still dry, but water's coming in at all directions... Which scenario is true?

-Daniel Odysseus

9. Yes, it would stand to reason that the wrought iron would be lying at the bottom of the pit that was once the forward Grand Staircase, and yet there is nothing there. That's how the theory about the staircase floating out the dome when it flooded got started. The different sections of staircase contained an innerworking made of iron. Had the staircase been consumed by wood-eating organisms, that innerworking would still be somewhere at the bottom landing. And yet there's nothing. But this is just one theory; perhaps someone else can help you out here.

As for which scenario is true, it's pretty much impossible to say with any amount of certainty. I generally imagine it happening as shown in "Titanic: An Illustrated History", but then there's the rumor I mentioned above about the staircase floating, breaking apart, etc. It's a mystery I don't see ever being solved.

Cheers, happy.gif

-B.W.

10. Thanks a bunch... Do you know if there's a thread on this board about the staircase breaking apart theory?

-Daniel Odysseus

11. Dave Hudson

Dave Hudson Member

I would say that the Cameron depiction is the most accurate. The Marschall painting (with all due respect to the exceptional painter) seems like a cool picture, but rather unrealistic. For the dome to have shattered just as water was coming through the A Deck windows, the wave would have had to be (and this is just a rough estimate) 10'-15' high!

But who knows

David

12. mike disch

mike disch Guest

Dome in Titanic Exhibit in CA Science Ctr is flattened out, compared to what it should be (although the rest of the staircase is to scale). Question: From the base of the dome to the peak, what should the actual height be?

13. Bob Read

Bob Read Member

Mike:
    The Titanic rigging plan shows the cover as 6 ft. high.
    the dome would be the roughly the same.

Regards,
    Bob Read

14. Not to sure if this has been mentioned before, but where would the top of the dome appear on the outside ship?

15. Hi Sarah!

The dome itself would never be seen from the exterior. It was covered by a quadrangular white structure with holes on it, so the natural sun light could pass through it.

Try this site:http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/titanic/explorer/explorer.html

You should be able to identify it in the side view, over the 1st class entrance.

Sorry for not being of greater help.

Best wishes,
    João Martins

16. Oh I see now, thank you very much!

17. Hi!

And anybody can tell me, which was the height of the dome?

18. John Hummel

John Hummel Member

I am scratch building a 1/350 model of Titanic and I need to know if anyone out there would know how to make the forward oval shaped dome from scratch. The round dome from the mini-craft model kit is simply ridiculous and I do not want to use it....pleae help.

19. Haowei Shi

Haowei Shi Member

I know,Tell me what are you using.Computer or real things?