Dome

John Hummel

Jul 7, 2006
Sorry I have been so delayed. If anyone would still be interested in helping me out with the dome construction I would really appreciate it.

SparkleFire

Mar 17, 2012
United Kingdom
I've been wondering lately, where on the outside of the ship would the Glass Dome that illuminated the grand staircase be? I can't seem to figure out where it would be.

Mar 16, 2012
Amston, CT, USA
The glass dome over the grand staircase would be between the First and Second funnels, about three-quarters of the way back between the two of them. Or looking at it from the perspective of the lifeboats on their davits, the glass dome would be in line with the fourth lifeboat from the bow.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Explorers are now eternally thankful that the dome was where Bruce described it to be, as its destruction, unfortunate as that is, allows fairly easy access to huge portions of the interior of the wreck, as illustrated in Ghosts Of The Abyss amongst other expeditions.

Cjwalker5

Apr 29, 2017
Is it a coincidence that the first class grand staircase dome are the same dimensions as the funnel casing bases? Was the dome an original feature or was the first funnel meant to be there in the original 3 funnel design. Was it just easier to have the same dimensions as the funnel stacks? I know that the dome was a much later feature to the staircase design. The aft staircase dome is much smaller and round.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
The funnel and dome dimensions are not the same. The funnels are not round like the dome. Rather, they're more of an elliptic cylinder.

Also, it is important to know that Titanic was pretty much identical to Olympic which had the same grand staircases and domes and funnels. So it was already planned before construction that the White Star Line would have three sister ships that would be very similar.

Lastly, the two domes on Titanic were the same in diameter and so were the staircases, but the forward grand stair case was much taller deck wise than the aft staircase.

Cjwalker5

Apr 29, 2017
No they wasn't, the forward staircase dome was an oval shape like the funnels and the aft dome was smaller and circular. The aft staircase was slightly smaller in size too and only spanned 3 decks. I know the Olympic was first, I was referring to when the Olympic class ships were being designed.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Was the dome an original feature or was the first funnel meant to be there in the original 3 funnel design. Was it just easier to have the same dimensions as the funnel stacks? I know that the dome was a much later feature to the staircase design. The aft staircase dome is much smaller and round.
Yes the staircase was planned to have a dome even the first concepts had a different looking staircase and dome.
No the 3 funnel design had nothing to do with it. In July 1908 it was agreed to use Design D which had the ship with 4 funnels, the keel of the Olympic was laid in December 1908.

The aft staircase goes only down to C Deck as there was no way further down. On D Deck was the 1st and 2nd class galley and on E Deck the top of the reciprocating engine room.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Actually the forward dome was round.Some photos and early P.R illustrations have an elliptical look based on the angles they were taken.If you look at other photos,blueprints and models of the ship you can clearly see both domes were round.Besides ,what would be the logic in having one dome round and the other more oval in shape? When it came to all the basic features, these two ships were almost interchangeable,including the domes over the staircases.As for the dome being a later feature,that is improbable as the early illustrations( about 1910) done while both ships were under construction show a dome over the staircase.

Cjwalker5

Apr 29, 2017
Actually the forward dome was round.Some photos and early P.R illustrations have an elliptical look based on the angles they were taken.If you look at other photos,blueprints and models of the ship you can clearly see both domes were round.Besides ,what would be the logic in having one dome round and the other more oval in shape? When it came to all the basic features, these two ships were almost interchangeable,including the domes over the staircases.As for the dome being a later feature,that is improbable as the early illustrations( about 1910) done while both ships were under construction show a dome over the staircase.
No the forward staircase dome was oval, look at the plans Iv attached. The oval shape is the same as the funnel stacks. A circle dome would not reach both the wall with honour and glory and the curvature of the well down to A deck, so it had to be slightly oval. The aft staircase dome was circular, this is because the staircase is smaller in size and could fit a smaller circular dome.

IMG_2490.jpg

A

Aaron_2016

I recall reading that the aft dome was oval and the forward dome was circular. Anyone know which dome is currently on the seabed? I reflected the second image to see what it might look like intact.

domein1.jpg

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
According to the Bruce Beveridge blueprints (Hosted on this site), the forward staircase dome was oval, the aft was circular.

The dome may have been a feature added afterwards, but the staircase and funnels were always meant to be exactly where they are. This is integral to the ship's design all the way down to the keel and the boiler placement. Basically, the boilers determine the position of the funnels, and the staircase just slips in between funnel #1 and #2.

The forward grand staircase is just grander than the aft staircase. Among other things, it has a larger vestibule, and the dome covers part of the vestibule. If you think of each staircase as a stack of round balconies surrounding a courtyard, with a staircase attached. The forward grand staircase has a rectangular court (with an oval dome), and the aft has a square court (with a round dome). So it's just an aesthetic choice. It would be totally impossible to put a smokestack there.

The debatable 4th funnel would have been the last one, which is over turbine engine room. No smoke is generated there, so there's no need for a smoke stack.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
The debatable 4th funnel would have been the last one, which is over turbine engine room. No smoke is generated there, so there's no need for a smoke stack.
Even though it isn't completely useless as it is used as ventilation for the kitchen.