Dome

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
It's also used for ventilation for the turbine room, and I suspect a safety release in case there was a steam line rupture in the turbine room. But that's only what the shaft was for. The funnel which sat on top of the shaft would have hampered the ventilation more than anything else.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Actually there are a few more things to clarify for the round dome idea. First- Honor and Glory which has done a METICULOUS,bang up job recreating these interiors shows a round dome.I know the forward stairs were bigger with the extra balustrade and all, but maybe they made the dome bigger just to fit over it all.2nd-early illustrations including Britannic's staircase looking towards the pipe organ wall show a more rounded shaped dome. Finally, the glass covered casing above the boat deck covering the dome to protect it, is square.If the dome were truly elliptical wouldn't this structure be more rectangular as it wouldn't make sense to have a square covering over an elliptical dome?Every model, drawing and painting including those by renowned expert Ken Marshall all show a square structure. Don't jump on my case- I'm just throwing a few more things out there for reasonable discussion.

Reactions: 1 user

Cjwalker5

Apr 29, 2017
Actually there are a few more things to clarify for the round dome idea. First- Honor and Glory which has done a METICULOUS,bang up job recreating these interiors shows a round dome.I know the forward stairs were bigger with the extra balustrade and all, but maybe they made the dome bigger just to fit over it all.2nd-early illustrations including Britannic's staircase looking towards the pipe organ wall show a more rounded shaped dome. Finally, the glass covered casing above the boat deck covering the dome to protect it, is square.If the dome were truly elliptical wouldn't this structure be more rectangular as it wouldn't make sense to have a square covering over an elliptical dome?Every model, drawing and painting including those by renowned expert Ken Marshall all show a square structure. Don't jump on my case- I'm just throwing a few more things out there for reasonable discussion.
Shouldn't you check your facts before you make such statements? See attached images of the dome from Honour and Glory, models, and also James Cameron's staircase. They all show a oval dome or rectangle casing.
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0064.PNG

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Well then I guess I learned something new today. If I'm not mistaken, the skylight was rectangular and the dome was ovular, so is this model inaccurate?

IMG_7088.JPG

It shows a rectangular skylight with a circular dome.

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
It's like that black-and-blue dress fiasco all over again...

"It's a circle!"

"I see a oval!"
I would agree with you about looking at the dome from different angles giving different impressions, but I didn't realize what the shape of the skylight was. I don't think aesthetically it would be correct to put a circular dome under a rectangular skylight. But that's just my opinion.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Actually Ive had a couple of days to look at some paintings and drawings,and the bulkhead housing the skylight is more rectangular than perfectly squared. That's one of the hurdles with being interested in this subject (or any other ) for decades.You get so used to seeing things that sometimes you don't see them because they've been such a part of your life.As for CJ Walkers response, there is one angle in Honor And Glory looking out and toward at the dome and it does have a more rounded appearance. Check it out. Also the two pics of the model may show a more rectangular skylight but the dome underneath looks more round.

Last edited:

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
It does show the dome being more round.Keep in mind what I said about perspective because if you look closely at the ceiling lights in the pics above, they too have a more elliptical appearance as well.By the way I had the big model as a kid and that also looked like what you see above. Round dome under a more rectangular skylight. I'll have to watch JC' s film again because after Leo enters the staircase, the camera pans around and gets an angle where the viewer is looking directly up at the dome.

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
The domes given on the plans on this website, which are based on original Harland and Wolff plans (and mind you I don't have these plans, but since no one has raised a red flag about them, I'm trusting the source) have a diameter of 19' x 26' (forward), 18' 6" (aft). The only way a spherical form is going to have a double diameter is if it is oblong, elliptical, or oval. This is a 5' difference over 1,551.16sqft, or 1' difference every 310sqft, something that won't be easily caught in angles.

The funnels were (as described in the Harland & Wolff notebook)

Funnels (Oval)

No. 1. 19'-0" x 14'-6" inside.......149'-5" Above wing firebars
No. 2. 20'-0" x 15'-3" "..............150'-3 1/2"
No. 3. 17'-3" x 13'-3" "..............150'-4"
No. 4. 24'-6" x 19-0" "

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
It's funny how the funnels were all different.You would think at least they would be of the same dimensions. Of course maybe the different sizes were due to what was surrounding them at the bases,and they had to accommodate for that.

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
Just to clarify -- James Cameron used a round dome in his movie. For those of you who have the behind the scenes book that came out with the movie- turn to page 87-you can clearly see a round dome.I'm not saying the real dome was round, just JC's movie portrayal of it is that's all.

Jeffery

Jul 10, 2017
I've been looking for a definitive pattern to the design of the dome over the forward grand staircase and I don't seem to be coming up with anything. Every picture that comes up on Google has subtle differences between the next. I'm wanting to recreate the design in Adobe Illustrator to get a clean, sharp image. I created a design (see attached) based on what I've found so far, but I'm sure it's far from accurate.

Is there a blueprint or reliable source?

Dome-Over-the-Grand-Staircase-03_S.jpg

CollinSearls

Aug 20, 2018
What was the color of the glass used in the various skylights? (Forward and Aft Grand Staircases, Forecastle, Officers Deckhouse, Poop Deck, etc.)

I've only really seen them in pictures of models, where they seem to frequently be colored blue. I have a feeling this is just to achieve the "glass" look and wanted to be sure/find out.

Edit: Also, could the staircase domes be seen through the skylight windows?

Last edited:

A. Gabriel

Jun 13, 2018
Philippines
The funnels were (as described in the Harland & Wolff notebook)

Funnels (Oval)

No. 1. 19'-0" x 14'-6" inside.......149'-5" Above wing firebars
No. 2. 20'-0" x 15'-3" "..............150'-3 1/2"
No. 3. 17'-3" x 13'-3" "..............150'-4"
No. 4. 24'-6" x 19-0" "
It's funny how the funnels were all different.You would think at least they would be of the same dimensions. Of course maybe the different sizes were due to what was surrounding them at the bases,and they had to accommodate for that.
Now if I remember correctly there's also a reliable source for all four funnels being of dimensions 24'-6" x 19'-0"... This is perhaps the external dimensions for the first three funnels, as the notebook dimensions here given are all explicitly recorded as being inside measurements.

Now why didn't they make the forward Grand Staircase's dome to be of similar dimensions? It could have saved them a bit of work to use pre-existing dimensions, and speaking of measurements is the height of the dome from its base recorded?

Jane Smith

Aug 16, 2018
From the looks of the deck plans, it seems that the dome for the forward Grand Staircase looks like an oval shape. The aft Grand Staircase dome looks like a circle