Dome

It's like that black-and-blue dress fiasco all over again...

"It's a circle!"

"I see a oval!"

I would agree with you about looking at the dome from different angles giving different impressions, but I didn't realize what the shape of the skylight was. I don't think aesthetically it would be correct to put a circular dome under a rectangular skylight. But that's just my opinion.

Actually Ive had a couple of days to look at some paintings and drawings,and the bulkhead housing the skylight is more rectangular than perfectly squared. That's one of the hurdles with being interested in this subject (or any other ) for decades.You get so used to seeing things that sometimes you don't see them because they've been such a part of your life.As for CJ Walkers response, there is one angle in Honor And Glory looking out and toward at the dome and it does have a more rounded appearance. Check it out. Also the two pics of the model may show a more rectangular skylight but the dome underneath looks more round.

Last edited:
It does show the dome being more round.Keep in mind what I said about perspective because if you look closely at the ceiling lights in the pics above, they too have a more elliptical appearance as well.By the way I had the big model as a kid and that also looked like what you see above. Round dome under a more rectangular skylight. I'll have to watch JC' s film again because after Leo enters the staircase, the camera pans around and gets an angle where the viewer is looking directly up at the dome.

The domes given on the plans on this website, which are based on original Harland and Wolff plans (and mind you I don't have these plans, but since no one has raised a red flag about them, I'm trusting the source) have a diameter of 19' x 26' (forward), 18' 6" (aft). The only way a spherical form is going to have a double diameter is if it is oblong, elliptical, or oval. This is a 5' difference over 1,551.16sqft, or 1' difference every 310sqft, something that won't be easily caught in angles.

The funnels were (as described in the Harland & Wolff notebook)

Funnels (Oval)

No. 1. 19'-0" x 14'-6" inside.......149'-5" Above wing firebars
No. 2. 20'-0" x 15'-3" "..............150'-3 1/2"
No. 3. 17'-3" x 13'-3" "..............150'-4"
No. 4. 24'-6" x 19-0" "

Reactions: Kyle Naber
It's funny how the funnels were all different.You would think at least they would be of the same dimensions. Of course maybe the different sizes were due to what was surrounding them at the bases,and they had to accommodate for that.

Just to clarify -- James Cameron used a round dome in his movie. For those of you who have the behind the scenes book that came out with the movie- turn to page 87-you can clearly see a round dome.I'm not saying the real dome was round, just JC's movie portrayal of it is that's all.

I've been looking for a definitive pattern to the design of the dome over the forward grand staircase and I don't seem to be coming up with anything. Every picture that comes up on Google has subtle differences between the next. I'm wanting to recreate the design in Adobe Illustrator to get a clean, sharp image. I created a design (see attached) based on what I've found so far, but I'm sure it's far from accurate.

Is there a blueprint or reliable source?

Dome Over the Grand Staircase 03 S

What was the color of the glass used in the various skylights? (Forward and Aft Grand Staircases, Forecastle, Officers Deckhouse, Poop Deck, etc.)

I've only really seen them in pictures of models, where they seem to frequently be colored blue. I have a feeling this is just to achieve the "glass" look and wanted to be sure/find out.

Edit: Also, could the staircase domes be seen through the skylight windows?

Last edited:
The funnels were (as described in the Harland & Wolff notebook)

Funnels (Oval)

No. 1. 19'-0" x 14'-6" inside.......149'-5" Above wing firebars
No. 2. 20'-0" x 15'-3" "..............150'-3 1/2"
No. 3. 17'-3" x 13'-3" "..............150'-4"
No. 4. 24'-6" x 19-0" "
It's funny how the funnels were all different.You would think at least they would be of the same dimensions. Of course maybe the different sizes were due to what was surrounding them at the bases,and they had to accommodate for that.

Now if I remember correctly there's also a reliable source for all four funnels being of dimensions 24'-6" x 19'-0"... This is perhaps the external dimensions for the first three funnels, as the notebook dimensions here given are all explicitly recorded as being inside measurements.

Now why didn't they make the forward Grand Staircase's dome to be of similar dimensions? It could have saved them a bit of work to use pre-existing dimensions, and speaking of measurements is the height of the dome from its base recorded?

From the looks of the deck plans, it seems that the dome for the forward Grand Staircase looks like an oval shape. The aft Grand Staircase dome looks like a circle

Actually there are a few more things to clarify for the round dome idea. First- Honor and Glory which has done a METICULOUS,bang up job recreating these interiors shows a round dome.I know the forward stairs were bigger with the extra balustrade and all, but maybe they made the dome bigger just to fit over it all.2nd-early illustrations including Britannic's staircase looking towards the pipe organ wall show a more rounded shaped dome. Finally, the glass covered casing above the boat deck covering the dome to protect it, is square.If the dome were truly elliptical wouldn't this structure be more rectangular as it wouldn't make sense to have a square covering over an elliptical dome?Every model, drawing and painting including those by renowned expert Ken Marshall all show a square structure. Don't jump on my case- I'm just throwing a few more things out there for reasonable discussion.
Why everyone is taking Titanic Honor and Glory as the holy grail of Titanic…. Their model has a lot of mistakes starting from the haul shape to this estrange dome thing…. They are basing their designs on their own recreated deck plans but not the real ones.. this things of distorting the real Titanic had to be stopped. I new they are awesome bringing us a 3d model os the entire ship but as an historical point of view they are changing a lot of things based on their own opinions and theories. They aren’t TOMAS ANDREWS!

From the looks of the deck plans, it seems that the dome for the forward Grand Staircase looks like an oval shape. The aft Grand Staircase dome looks like a circle
Those aren’t te original onessssss…. That was a digital recreation with a lot os mistakes… original ones are kept in close guard obviously for safety of the fragile hand drawn deck plans….

Pleaseeeeee stop believing that Titanic Honor and Glory is the real deal… they haven’t the original titanic deck plans, also their 3d model has a lot of mistakes starting from the hauls shape to missing port holes all over the Ship including unforgettable ones like the stern port holes! Even real pictures of the departure of the ship showed that port holes and they changed the design of that…. Also starting theories like the dome design and distorting some dimensions all around the ship….. stop please! Titanic was constructed on the same layout and deck plans from the Olympic, is pretty we’ll know that 400 and 401 was made it with the exact same plans… only for making Titanic the biggest one (in ships bigger also means gross tons) Titanic desing includes more wayyyy more wood paneling with really and beautiful hand works, also more heavier furnishings…. And minor exterior changes like the enclosure of the first class promenade at front of the ship and disappearing of suites long promenade giving private spaces to each or few suites on that space, besides that all the entire designs was exactly the SAME! There’s a lot of real photos of Olympicˋs dome and it was ROUNDED, also Titanic one was designed the same, even Britannic has it; the only real ship with differ design was the Britannic with few haul changes most of it on stern but also heavily changed before Titanic ˋs disaster Making her look extremely awful….. but also britannic has a rounded dome and if some of you don’t believe that take a look and search some wreck photos showing a fragment of the real dome, neither of the three sisters has elliptical domes….
a little advice as architect and historían reporter…. If some of the historical reports includes very own opinions and changes and theories THE REPORT IMMEDIATELY STOPS TO BE AN HISTORICAL REPORT…. The work of Titanic Honor and Glory is amazing and beautiful but don’t take it like true or the holy grail. IT IS NOT! They are changing a lot of elements contributing to distort the historic reality of the ship. Please make own investigations because Titanic is really famous and there’s a lot of organizations with displays of the real deck plans also a Ton of historic material that proves that Titanic Honor and Glory is changin a lot of elements and including their own theories and we don’t want that happens to our beloved ship.
Trumpeter did a 1 to 200 Titanic model based on the 3d model of Titanic’s Honor and Glory and believe me and few of Titanicˋs historians, that models had errors as HELL starting from haul changes to a lot of missing details and dimension changes.
I do care of Titanic historic facts since I was 7 yrs old now on 34 and professional architect I had enough experience to differentiate this things or changes to the real estate of historic places and events. Titanic deserves a memorable historic Report but also AN ACCURATE ONE

Well then I guess I learned something new today. If I'm not mistaken, the skylight was rectangular and the dome was ovular, so is this model inaccurate?

View attachment 3400
It shows a rectangular skylight with a circular dome.
It was ROUNDED FOR SURE. I explain it easier.. by the way I’m architect with natural lighting emphasis…. Remember that Titanic‘s route was fom
Europe to North America, sun in that route will raise and fall on both front and back of the ship. Skylines are designed to maximize the sunlight gains, take this in count, the original dome was rounded with very fragile glass panels, this very fragile dome needed to be enclosed for protection, that enclosing that is actually the outer skylight that we see had advantages and disadvantages… if we make that enclosure a perfect square to properly surround the rounded dome the result of light projected into the inner dome will produce a shade pattern into the dome glass because sunset or sunrise will make some of the walls to cast their shadows into the dome…. In order to avoid that by architectural design we need first to know the sun behaving, in Titanic’s respect we knew that for sure then we need to make adjustments to that enclosure to avoid that wall shadow to be casted into the inner dome glass, that change is making the outer enclosure a rectangle elongated in the same direction of the rising and falling of the sun to make that shadow be casted outside the dome circumference and assuring that during the entire day this bautiful dome will have evenly sprayed sunlight gains with no shadows. Remember this, during the day this dome works with natural lighting but at night it worked with artificial lighting and that rectangular enclosure allowed something else, they put reflectors on both front and back extra portions to recreate the sun light and making the dome illuminate from the entire shell, it for sure was beautiful, the light of the dome at night wasn’t produced by the center chandelier, it wasn’t , the shell light was produced by lighting fixtures placed at the extra parts of the enclosure skyligh shell. Titanic’s dome was circular and as architect even just by looking the skylight design I can assure that, also the three sisters had the same dome, only differences was interior designs, olympic and Titanic almost if not the same staircase design and Britannic few changes like no big areas at deck b, side handrail rising to avoid people falling into the staircase top to bottom voids (an exiting fall from deck a to e) and wood paneling less visual on the Britannic…
‘As Titanic historians we need to stop that kind of theories distorting the reality of the design of this Beautiful ships. Please people don’t take everything as a fact and even more do not take Titanic Honor and Glory as the Titanic’s holy grail because they had a lot of mistakes on their models and historical reports because they are including some weird theories from people that are creating some sort of cult distorting the real design.

Last edited:
Back