Don LynchOn Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2004
I just thought I'd let you know, in case you were unaware, that Don Lynch himself was in Cameron's Titanic. Believe it or not, he played Frederick Spedden, who was with his son spinning the top on A-Deck aft. I found that out while doing a Google search a few days ago. I thought that was interesting, so I thought I'd share.

Jan 31, 2001
Yep, that's good ol' Don. You might want to do a search of the message board for the "Hidden Faces of Titanic" thread I started a couple of years ago. It's our collective guesswork on the identities of a ton of background characters who may have been based on actual passengers and crew. I recommend taking some of the suggestions with a block of salt, but others seem quite plausible. You may find it interesting.

Jun 12, 2004
Was just looking through it and noticed that Maria acknowledged Don, and there were a few other interesting tidbits, too. I didn't notice this thread before. There are so many... I definitely will read through them.

Jan 31, 2001
Hey Mark,

I'm glad you found it interesting! It amazes me that after nearly four years people are still adding to it.

Feb 24, 2004
>I just thought I'd let you know, in case you were unaware, that Don Lynch himself was in Cameron's Titanic.

Don also appears in Cameron's "Ghosts of the Abyss", both as himself and as Thomas Andrews in the dramatized portions.

That's not all. Ken Marschall does double duty as J. Bruce "Snidely" Ismay.

Roy

Jun 12, 2004
Haven't seen it yet, but it's out and I'm planning on getting it. ;) I hear it's really interesting, even if it's only an hour long (as I've read).

Mark

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, Mark!

The disc you'll find for sale in this country contains two versions of the film -- the IMAX-release (sans 3D effects) and an extended version, with 3 or 4 additional chapters. The original is 60 minutes long, the other 90. I prefer the longer version, because it gives more of the people a chance to speak on their areas of expertise!

BTW, on a big, big sound system, the audio is wonderful! Be sure you have a bath towel handy when they dump those two MIRs into the drink! '-)

Roy

Jun 12, 2004
I got it on DVD and thought it was very interesting. I never realized how closely Lynch resembles Andrews, hehe. Of course, it'll take a few viewings to catch everything.

Feb 24, 2004
Aw, I don't think Don looks at all like Andrews. There was, however, a 1950s TV actor named Richard Carlson who actually did bear some resemblance, except for his being a Yank and not Irish. Don comes across on video and in person as a very pleasant, likeable sort of a guy -- and that, to me, accounts for any perceived resemblance to Andrews.

I also think John Hillerman more closely resembles Ismay than any of the actors who've portrayed him on the screen. But he's from Texas . . .

Roy

Jun 12, 2004
Well, Hillerman could still play a Brit. Edward Fletcher, who portrayed Sixth Officer Moody in Cameron's film, is, believe it or not, a resident of Boston, Mass, but he still played a Brit. Of course, it's entirely possible that he may have been born in England and only lives her in America. Several Americans successfully played Brits before, so that's not unheard of.

Feb 24, 2004
Mark, I totally agree. In fact, for a long time I thought JH was British. Must have been those "imperious manservant" roles he had on TV. '-)

He's probably a little too old for 1912 Ismay now, but I think he'd have been excellent.

(Now, if we could only remake "20,000 Leagues" with Alan Rickman as Nemo. Don't get me wrong, I love Mason's performance -- I'd just like to see Rickman play it.)

Mary Hamric

May 4, 1999
Roy--Don Lynch IS a very likable, pleasant guy. I spent a weekend with him and carted him around Chicagoland in my car when he spoke at a Titanic conference I helped to organize. Quite funny and very, very nice.

I personally thought Victor Garber (Cameron's Titanic) has a very strong resemblance to Andrews. I really enjoyed his portrayal.

Jun 12, 2004
Ah, but Garber was too old for Andrews. He had more grey hair than dark and appeared at least 50 or 55. Andrews, at the time of the sinking, was a mere 38 and had all dark hair.

Mark Draper

Aug 24, 2001
Bernard Fox does look strikingly like the real Captain Edward Smith. Wouldn't that be weird if you found out how closely you look like a person who's been dead for a long time?

Susan Alby

Oct 22, 2004
Mark- I thought Garber did a fantastic performance as Andrews. He looked a little older but certainly young enough to play the part. I failed to notice any greying in his hair.

Feb 24, 2004
>"Ah, but Garber was too old for Andrews. He had more grey hair than dark and appeared at least 50 or 55. Andrews, at the time of the sinking, was a mere 38 . . . " For all that, I can forgive him a few extra years.

Mark, my feeling is that if the makeup department wants to take steps to correct something like that, it's well within their means to do so. '-)

But I think we're getting into the area of just what is an actor's job when he/she takes on the role of a historic personality. Should the actor present us with a practically DNA-perfect copy of that person, or should they project a reasonable likeness and stress the personality qualities that made the original unique? Obviously, a 50/50 combination of the two would be ideal, but in the real world (...are movies ever "the real world"?) it's very difficult to come by.

Honestly, I don't think Victor Garber looks physically like the real Tom Andrews at all, except in one important area -- his eyes. And they tell me everything I need to know about how Garber viewed Andrews. Was Garber's Andrews intelligent and capable? -- Oh, yeah! Did he convince you he could have accomplished everything the real Andrews did? -- You bet! Did he seem universally likeable? -- No doubt about it. Did he look just a wee bit wistful and homesick for his family? -- Yep, just enough.

Yes, Mr. Garber gets my vote, even though I still think Richard Carlson looked more like Andrews.

Roy

Jun 12, 2004
Yeah, did I say Fox? hehe. Sorry. The only problem I have with Fox playing Gracie was that he had a very obvious Brit accent, whereas Gracie was American, born and raised in Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.