Dona Paz 20th anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2002
Morning all,

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the Dona Paz ferry disaster off Leyte Island in the Phillipines in 1987. An estimated 4,536 people were killed in the disaster but the toll may have been much higher. There were only 26 survivors.

Cheers,

Boz

J

Jeff Brebner

Someone really needs to do a book on this disaster and raise some public awareness.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Someone really needs to do a book on this disaster and raise some public awareness.<<

You could always step up to the plate. Otherwise, I wouldn't bet on it happening. True but sad to say, not a lot of people in the Western world much cares about what happens in Asia. I would argue that they should, especially with an accident as horrifying as this one, but they don't.

J

Jeff Brebner

It would be quite an undertaking. Distance, language barriers, the poor records available, probably not a whole lot of cooperation from the Philipino government... Still, it just seems like a story that needs to be better told.

I'd love to write a Shipwreck book some day, but I think I'd start with something easier and close to home!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Inquirer.net:

Caltex cleared in ship collision
quote:

MANILA, Philippines–The Supreme Court Thursday cleared a major oil company from any liability in the damage suit filed by victims of the collision between MV Doña Paz and oil tanker MT Vector in 1987 off Tablas Strait.

The sea tragedy took place in Dec. 20, 1987, leaving about 4,000 passengers and crew members dead.
More at http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/nation/view/20080725-150569/Caltex-cleared-in-ship-collision

Comment: 21 years after the fact and the litigation was still going on.

Dec 18, 2008
Good day to all. I was browsing the web when I happened to get this site. Both my parents and my youngest sister who was only 14 yrs old were victims of that ill-fated ship. After more than 20 years the memories still lingers. It's really hard. This is is not surprising to me that Caltex was cleared of the case, because I know that Sulpicio Lines is to blame on everything. After Dona Paz, not one but several more ships of that shipping line, Sulpicio Lines, was involved in more sea accidents. Mind you, this shipping company is still in business. Sad to say. These are just thoughts from a grieving heart who'll never forget that very day.

Mar 28, 2002
Thank you for sharing your very personal memories of the Dona Paz, Monet. It's very sad to hear of the loss of your family in this terrible disaster. It's Internet sites such as Encyclopedia Titanica that can give names to some of the thousands of people lost to the sea over the years. Their memory will never completely be gone as long as others remember them.

Cheers,

Boz

P.S. I'm remembering the Lockerbie disaster today twenty years ago.

Alvin Dusaran

Dec 18, 2010
Hi guys,

I can't believe it, Dona Paz is the worst maritime disaster in terms of loss of life and the company involving which is Sulpicio Lines involved into another disaster 3 years ago which killed about 700 people. the Princess of the Stars sank after hit by a huge wave. The ship was on sail and maybe stop near the coast waiting for the weather becomes fair. Now the wreck lies upside down and its bow is still above the water.

AlvinD

Status
Not open for further replies.