Don't be offended by this please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Perez

Jul 10, 2005
Considering the fact that both these things ARE movie related, and have affected pop culture in so many ways, I felt like I needed to post this! Please do not be offended, I know many people died during the sinking, and it's a terrible thing, but the magazine cover isn't trying to hurt anybody. I find this very funny and clever in so many ways

To see the picture, click here! Again, I hope some of you find humour in this!

http://www.kaijuphile.com/rodansroost/magazines/graphics/gfan31.jpg

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Oh, that's it: GODZILLA, not the iceberg, hit the Titanic.
wink.gif

And to think that some of us once theorized it could have been "Nessie", or that "Yetti" was on top of the iceberg.
grin.gif

I, myself, was not offended; just thought "very interesting".

Dec 31, 2003
Hampstead, London
Available from Folktrax is the 2-CD set 'Guide Cats for the Blind: Songs and Poems of Les Barker.' Featured among other skits and on CD2 is one by veteran UK media personality Terry Wogan entitled: "Have you got any news of the iceberg?"; based upon the cartoon - published decades ago - of a bedraggled, dripping polar bear asking this question of an over-wrought employee of the White Star Line. The cartoon remains amusing.

Aug 29, 2005
Funny. Truly though the titanic has been used for all types of political cartoons through the ages so I see nonthing wrong with it as a magazine cover.

May 7, 2005
Due to copyright issues I cant post it but the Ft Worth Star Telegram had an Enron cartoon featuring a ship that looked similar to Titanic sinking. Over the sinking ship that had Enron written on the side was a caption that said "Women & Children Last" I found it just a wee bit humorous

matthew ewing

Oct 10, 2005
I wouldn't say i was offended, but i must credit the magazine for their lack of respect towards the victims and their current day families.

Feb 18, 2006
I'm not offended at all; actually this kind of thing is compelling. Granted, it is giving a historical disaster a surreal edge, but I admit the juxtaposition of the ship and the beast have a weird rightness about them.

Feb 24, 2004
I agree with you, Ann, it's very surreal. And I don't think it's more objectionable (if that's the right word) than any of the political cartoons from April/May 1912 that showed the iceberg wearing a death mask.

Feb 21, 2005
I don't find that offensive at all, really. But I'm a big Godzilla fan so I'm a bit partial.

I think the only thing I've ever seen that kind of got on my offensive side is this little CG Titanic with Penguins feature in which the Titanic hits the penguins iceberg and as revenge the penguins cut a slit into the Titanic and sink it, waving and screaming "Bye bye!!" as it sinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.