Dorothy Parker and The Rothschilds

Dec 12, 1999
I was reading something a while back about a possible relationship between Martin Rothschild and Dorothy Parker. Did she have any relationship to Mr. and Mrs. Rothschild, or is that just someone's idea of a tall tale?

Mar 20, 2000
Kritina,

Dorothy Parker was Martin and Lizzie Rothscild's neice. She was Dorothy Rothschild before her marriage. In one of the several bios of Dot her relationship with her Aunt Lizzie is touched on. Poor Mrs. Rothschild seems to have been a very sad woman.

Randy

B

Ben Thomas Sebastian Holme

It seems also that Francis Millet may not have been a fan of hers. In "Titanic-An Illustrated History" Don Lynch quotes him as saying "there are a number of obnoxious, ostentatious American women" he continues, "many of them carry tiny dogs while their husbands follow them like pet lambs". Alternatively, he could be referring to the Bishops. This is no reflection on my opinion. I am very interested in the couple, and was wondering if there is any way I could get hold of a picture (copy) of Martin Rothschild.
Warm Regards
Ben

Mar 20, 2000
Ben,

I don't know enough about Mrs. Rothschild to say if she was of the type to which Millet was referring. But my impression is that she was a rather retiring sort of woman, very quiet and kind, though I may be wrong. (If her outspoken and often famously unkind neice is any indication, then Lizzie may well have been "obnoxious and ostentatious.")

But I agree Helen Bishop comes more to mind as being a bit spoiled. She died young and in a sorry condition I read, so we cannot be too harsh in our judgement. As a dog lover, though, I have to say I've always not liked Mrs. Bishop for leaving her puppy in her cabin!

Randy

B

Ben Thomas Sebastian Holme

Randy,

Thanks for the info. I wonder how embarrassed Martin Rothschild must have about allowing her dog to enter boat #6 with her!
He seems nice enough, although he may have been a little complacent during the sinking. (Ray's testimony)
Is there any account of who they were acquainted with on board i.e dinner companions etc?

Ben

Mar 10, 1998
Andrew,
According to three of her surviving great-nephews, it was a Pomeranian but they either couldn't remember its name or never knew it to begin with. They all agree that Mrs. R. was constantly in the company of "yappy little dogs" that the rest of the family found annoying. You may already know that the Titanic survivor dog was then attacked and killed by a bigger dog within just a few weeks of the Titanic sinking. I've tried to find out what happened to Sun Yat-Sen, but my letters to Henry Harper's son and three grandchildren, so far, have gone unanswered.

D

Daniel Rosenshine

I think I'll butt in again. According to a niece, who remembers 'Aunt Lizzie' visiting (the niece was then 6) and talking of her dog and Titanic, saying that the dog was killed shortly after Mrs. Rothschild disembarked from the Carpathia (I can't remember whether it was by a truck or a dog — this info is thanks to John Pulos, who used to visit this board, but I’m not sure if he still does).

Also to contribute a bit on what was said above, as far as I know, Mrs. Rothschild deeply loved her husband and I doubt would have lead him around on a leash.

The Carters also had dogs, perhaps Millet was referring to the Carters.

Daniel.