Dorothy Winifred Gibson

we did the project of the Titanic at my school and i choose to be Dorothy Gibson because i my inc-ails are O G so i picked Gibson as a name and Dorothy was a general singer

Arun Vajpey

I gather that Dorothy Gibson was unfortunately a fascist sympathiser?
(I moved your quote to this thread)

Could be. She lived in Italy just before and during earlier part of WW2 and was considered a supporter of Mussolini. Although labelled as a "Nazi sympathizer" in some circles, I am not sure if she was that far gone. Dorothy Gibson certainly seems to have changed her colours after the fall of Mussolini and later even took part in anti-Fascist demonstrations. Whether this was genuine change of heart or jus for "convenience", it is anybody's guess.

We must remember that in the early days of Nazi Germany and before WW2, the ongoing atrocities were not so well known and there were people who considered Hitler and his followers as "disciplined and organized" and so almost acceptable. Several famous names have been included in that list like Charles Lindbergh, Joseph Kennedy (JFK's father) and even Neville Chamberlain. But that did not mean that they were genuine Nazi sympathizers from a later perspective.

Last edited:

Seumas

(I moved your quote to this thread)

Could be. She lived in Italy just before and during earlier part of WW2 and was considered a supporter of Mussolini. Although labelled as a "Nazi sympathizer" in some circles, I am not sure if she was that far gone. Dorothy Gibson certainly seems to have changed her colours after the fall of Mussolini and later even took part in ant-Fascist demonstrations. Whether this was genuine change of heart or jus for "convenience", it is anybody's guess.
It would be good if her ET biography had more details. It does sound a bit too convenient, this conversion of hers.

Gibson it appears lived in France from 1928 onward. She would have lived through the divisive thirties in France, when governments did not last long and supporters of the far-right and far-left fought battles in the streets. There was also a strong vein of anti-Semitism in French public life during this time.

She could have been a supporter of the despicable collaborationist and anti-Semitic Petain regime established in July 1940.

Her 1944 arrest by the Gestapo in Italy may simply have been down to being American born and at a time of high paranoia, as it was clear the Axis were going to lose the war by this point and allied troops were slowly advancing into northern Italy.

I'd like to see evidence of just what these supposed "resistance activities" were.

It is rather depressing that Dorothy Gibson may well have supported and assisted the very regime that condemned fellow survivor Rosa Pinsky to death during the Shoah.

Reactions: 1 users

Arun Vajpey

It is rather depressing that Dorothy Gibson may well have supported and assisted the very regime that condemned fellow survivor Rosa Pinsky to death during the Shoah.
I have tried - with great difficulty I might add - to do some research into Rosa Pinsky's fate in occupied Poland before and during WW2. As I have said elsewhere, I have a local source but he is rather slow with his responses. But from what I can gather from available info thus far, Rosa Pinsky and her family, though Jewish and trapped in Poland, did not suffer all that much from the Germans per se. It was the local Ukranians who were rabidly anti-semitic and Rosa and most of her family are believed to have been victims of the horrific Volyn massacre of 1943. A daughter, Leah, is believed to have survived and later moved to and settled in America. So far, my attempts to track her descendants have not been successful.