Dr Alfred Pain

Aug 26, 2007
I did a search, and it really didn't come up with anything, so I apologize if this is a repeat of anything. And I also apologize if I am placing this thread in the wrong spot. I hope I've got it right, though.
happy.gif

I can't really explain it, but for whatever reason, one of the passengers that I am especially fascinated with and drawn to is Dr. Albert Pain. And I was wondering if there is any other known information about him, other than what is written for us on this wonderful web site? I'm not really looking for anything in particular; I'm just curious if there is any extra information about him that is available. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me!
happy.gif

Apr 27, 2003
Caroline - Here is a little bit more:
Pain, Doctor Alfred. Missing. En route to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
Age 24 years. Returning from a years post-graduate work at King's College Hospital, London.
Born August 24th 1888.
Is remembered by a plaque / marker in Hamilton Cemetery, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
The inscription reads:
Sacred to the Memory of
Alfred Pain M.B.
Beloved son of
Albert and Fanny Pain
A Passenger on the Ill-fated Titanic which sank at Sea on
April 15th 1912 aged 24 years.
''Safe in the Arms of Jesus''

From The Bridgwater Mercury, 20th April, 1912).
West Country People In The Titanic
Yeovil
Dr. Paine (sic), of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, a cousin of Mr. J. Kerbey Whitby, and who spent Easter in Yeovil with Mr. Whitby, was a passenger whose name does not appear in the list of saved.
Dr. Alfred Pain was going home to Hamilton, Ontario, after a year of postgraduate studies at Kings College Hospital in London. Tall, earnest, and vulnerable, Pain was only 24, one of the youngest surgeons ever to graduate from the University of Toronto's medical school. The son of a Hamilton greengrocer, he was an accomplished musician who played both flute and piano. He was also an expert marksman, and a yachtsman.

Cheers Brian

Chris Pain

Sep 5, 2007
I just found this site yesterday and Dr Alfred Pain was my Grandfathers cousin. I have photocopies of the original newspaper articles. I also have his funeral pamphlet. It has some info that I have not seen in print before. If you are interested in seeing them, I can send them to you.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Chris,

Welcome aboard! Finally, a relative of Alfred Pain appears on the board! I knew there had to be descendants still alive.

A few years ago, a member of the board posted a photo that he purchased in an antique shop which he thought to be of Alfred Pain. While it has been speculated that it might be your relative, no one has been able to confirm it. So, perhaps you'd be able to assist:

Photo found in antique shop Titanic passenger

I would be very interested in seeing those articles, so I will send you my e-mail in a PM.

Chris Pain

Sep 5, 2007
Thanks Jason
I am just in the process of going through some family documents. Unfortunately, time is usually my enemy. I will try to locate some more info and maybe pictures and post it. His father was Captain Albert Pain from Hamilton who passed away in 1929.

Aug 26, 2007
Wow, that is so cool, Chris! Thank you for posting. And I really look forward to seeing anything you'd like to share!
happy.gif

Aug 26, 2007
Oh my gosh, I am such a flake!! I finally just re-read my very first post in this thread, and I realized that I accidentally misspelled poor Alf's first name. My deepest apologies to everyone (especially to Chris Pain and to Alfred, himself). I can't believe I did that!

I also really wanted to say that since I posted this thread, I have learned so many things about Alfred that are truly amazing to me. He was such a selfless, wonderful and inspirational man.

A special thank you so much to Chris for the information he shared. It is such a treat to get to learn more about dear Alfred.
happy.gif

Richard Paola

Nov 17, 2001
Hello .. it's been a long time since i visited this site, but glad to be back. Just wanted to share some information on 2nd class passenger Dr.Alfred Pain from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. According to the 1901 Census, the family name is listed as Paine, (with an 'e')? and at that time, there were 6 people listed in the Paine household: Father, Mother, 2 sons, (Albert & Alfred), along with a cousin, Benjamin Coles (22 years old), and also, listed as 'visitor', an Alice Stoddart (30 years old)... (probably Stoddard more likely) ..
Also, i have a 1919 oblique aerial photograph of the Paine neighbourhood where they lived, which was captured at a very low elevation, making it very clear; In fact, the Pain house is even visible ... (based on their address in which they lived at the time).. (this house has long since been demolished)
As you can see, the Pain residence was the first house on the edge of a school yard, (Caroline Street Public School); Let me know if you would like me to post this image;