Dr Ballard & Dive Detectives

Jan 29, 2001
Boy! Just when you thought you had enough TITANIC books...here come two more good ones.
Dr. Ballard's coffee table book "Titanic, The Last great images" and Chatterton & Kohler's book in regards to the double hull section (Just got that one yesterday at B & N).

As for Ballard's book I purchased it awhile back (B&N), and however the images are startling in revealing the actual color (via Hercules) of the decaying wreck, I would have to say that the IMAX iamges (Titanic In A New Light, McInnis) are still tops in my eyes.

BTW, Dr. Ballard stated in the book he left another memorial plaque, but hid it next to the foward hull section. His pointing of fingers at RMSTI was not so direct this time around.

Mike Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
POSTSCRIPT:

BTW, if you have not seen the book yet ("Titanic, The Last Great Images") I feel that Dr. Ballard left us a final image to ponder...a two-page spread at the close of the book, of what appears to be...I'll leave it up to the reader-viewer to decide.

Mike Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
I apologize, the second book of my aforemention
is "TITANIC'S Last Secrets" by Brad Matsen featuring the 2005 Expedition. Nice photos of the crew and our David Concannon & wife.

It's funny many yrs. ago I used to correspond with John Chatterton...long before the History Channel's "Dive Detectives"...my how fast time goes by!

Mike Cundiff
NV, USA

[Moderator's Note: These three messages, originally two separate threads in the "Lusitania/Books" topic, have been combined into a single thread and moved here. MAB]

T

Trevor Rommelley

I was disappointed by the quality of the images in The Last Great Images. I grant that they are taken in very dim viewing conditions, but they are very pixelated, with a lot of grim backscatter. The 2 page photo of the A deck promenade (starboard side, looking aft) is a good example of this.

As for the missing plaque, a certain Ralph White may be able to answer that charge...except that he can't now.

Jan 29, 2001
Trevor: I agree, the forepeak looking fore image did'nt impress. Ballard was proud of the fact that the R.O.V. was able to get tight shots, including operating instructions for the ship's fittings.

He was quick to note a light chandelier was left by salvagers, when in fact it may have been Cameron who also deployed a an enhanced light systerm (See: "Ghosts DVD). I highly doubt the EDISON light towers would have been left behind by RMSTI/Lindsy.

Mr. White...GOD rest his spirit, aside from the plaque, had a handfull of some other things, perhaps owing to a sub skid...but we do not need to go into that.

At one point in TITANICA, White wanted to open a suitcase with a MIR manipulator arm, however Sagalovitch made him set it back on the seabed.

As contract would have it!

Mike Cundiff
NV, USA

T

Trevor Rommelley

Agreed, but did you know that the "suitcase" sequence in the IMAX film was staged for the benefit of the cameras?

Yes, you're right though, Ralph White did have a few other things, such as a gold coin and a rivet as a keepsake. Word is, from informed THS sources, is that the plaque was obtained during the IMAX dives. Other, less authoritative sources, claim that the plaque, precariously perched on the fantail, was knocked off when the Mir sub got stuck while filming, and White recovered it then. The other Mir occupants just shrugged their shoulders.

Jan 29, 2001
Trevor, makes sense to me, as you are probably aware there is a sequence in TITANICA when a MIR with Anatoly, White, and Emory Kristoff aboard collide with the stern, just under the overhanging poop. White and Kristoff seemed a bit startled wheras Anatoly did'nt even flinch!

BTW, on that particular dive the port-wing propellor was photographed. Mr. Kristoff was so kind to send me a signed 11 x 14 of the prop and a letter on NG stationary where he commented on being so grateful to have been a member (photographer) of the IMAX production.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

T

Trevor Rommelley

I've only ever seen one piece of footage of the port side screw, and that was in a poor quality mpg in 1997. It shows why photos of that are very rare: directly behind the screw (ie closer to the fantail), perhaps 10 or so feet away is a large piece of wreckage, thus hindering any approach. The prop was in the background, quite faint and dark.

Jan 29, 2001
Trevor, whereas as seen in a photo of a past THS commutator, both MIR submersible's zeroed in on the starboard wing screw, which illuminated the screw, along with a nice look at the mostly buried rudder. It stands as my favorite still image of any TITANIC expedition. Far and away my favorite video image is the exposure of the portside name ("Return to the Titanic live, Paris France '87 Westgate). I own a recorded VHS tape, that is by far one of my most prized possesions. BTW, that was the very first time a TITANIC screw was imaged...the portside wing.
NAUTILE'S profile is much lower than ALVIN'S, so was able to get in much tighter.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jan 29, 2001
Postscript: That '87 video image of the port-wing prop far outweighs the image of your previous mention. And yes the section of debris is highly defined with the image.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Apr 13, 2006
So I saw this in the B&N window while shopping for the holidays. It looks like a coffee table book. I haven't browsed through it yet. Just wondered if this is a book all TEnthusiasts should own?

Jan 29, 2001
Arlene: "Titanic, The Last Great Images" (Dr. Ballard) is a must for TITANIC wreck enthusiasts
like myself. I only wish Ballard had included, in the book, two *great* images I had yet to see, until I saw the "Weather Channel" special...one was of the port fantail while another was a crystal clear image of a boiler.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA